Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my scooter back. Supposedly the ckp was bad. Long story. Im tired

Exhaust inside rattles over bumps and light vibrations. Isn't too quiet anymore. Previously when I took the muffler off it seemed to be towards the back end. I was looking to buy a thick metal plate, cut rhe edge off of rhe muffler and see if it needs some reinforcements welds and some plates inside. Also was considering filling it with some packing material to make it quieter as I do prefer a quieter bike unlike others who prefer throaty . Not sure how good an idea the packing material idea would be as it needs to be held in place around an item and not just loosely thrown in

Anybody ever open their muffler? Curious what id find inside and also wondering if my marked red line would be a good place to make the cut?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Inside will be some pipes stepped so the gasses go from one chamber to the next but have to step up or down to the next pipe. you should be able to get the end cap off to get inside if the bolts are not seized. Fibreglass matting is the packing of choice. Check the mounting bracket as these rot and will cause a rattle.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you sir

I ordered some 4 stroke packing material. ill see how I can mount it since its usually for those long cyclinder motorcross type mufflers. its a project. it sounds louder then id like. ill take the parts out, clean with wire brush attachment then ill think what to do..maybe ill add some metal (3-4mm) thin strips here and therefor support.
saving now for a newer burgman. not many here are interested in 400cc+ scooters because theyre scared of the maintenance costs, unless one does it by themselves. ive learned so much on the scoot with the issues it has.

the mounting holes all have stripped from previous user. it kept jumping around. I came to tighten it, and a week later the bolt is free again, I put blue threadlocker, the week later, again, loose and jiggling. I tighten it just a bit more and it easily stripped. I used a tap and the muffler sidearm uses 12mm bolts (17mm heads) now, which imo, was what it should have had from the get go. those oem bolts are too thin and the rubber grommet that lets it dance around is not smart imo.

thanks again friend. very much appreciated. ill post a vid on youtube so others can see
have a great weekend

oh, btw, would you know the size of the threading I would need to add a helicoil for the oil drain plug. that too is stripped. not from me though, I always wipe the thread of the hole and bolt very clean before inserting and tighten by hand but from the first oil change, it was stiff. 16.5ft/lbs with torque wrench also. its not leaking but something for the future to take care of.

·
Registered
420 Posts
s-steel,
Are you sure the rattle is coming from inside the muffler.
I had a similar issue a while back; it sounded like the muffler was disintegrating. When removed and shaken, the muffler was silent. The cure for me was placing washers in with the mounting bolts to give the rubber grommets more squeeze.
If you've had issues with the mounting bolts stripping ... this might be the source of your rattle. Perhaps remove the muffler and give it a shake before tearing into it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
s-steel,
Never mind ... I searched the other thread and saw your post stating the muffler was broken inside.
Whatever you decide to for repair, can you take before and after video clips, so we can see what you've done and the result.?
Good luck.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha, yes I had thought the same thing but ive taken the muffler apart quite a few times now and it rattles like moracas its ridiculous. it does seem like its in the back part though. ill try to open thre bolts in the picture above but I dont think that will get me to the inside. it seems like its sealed and there is welded bolt connectors so the mounts can sit on top of the other as shown with the cap at the end..

yes Ill take video and pictures and also ask for some guidance on the best way to patch it up once its open. I have to plan a day to do it. will take me a few hours. my welding skills with my new stick welder is amateur and lacking but ill get er done. im waiting for the packing material to come in. Thanks Gene!

·
Registered
522 Posts
thank you sir

I ordered some 4 stroke packing material. ill see how I can mount it since its usually for those long cyclinder motorcross type mufflers. its a project. it sounds louder then id like. ill take the parts out, clean with wire brush attachment then ill think what to do..maybe ill add some metal (3-4mm) thin strips here and therefor support.
saving now for a newer burgman. not many here are interested in 400cc+ scooters because theyre scared of the maintenance costs, unless one does it by themselves. ive learned so much on the scoot with the issues it has.

the mounting holes all have stripped from previous user. it kept jumping around. I came to tighten it, and a week later the bolt is free again, I put blue threadlocker, the week later, again, loose and jiggling. I tighten it just a bit more and it easily stripped. I used a tap and the muffler sidearm uses 12mm bolts (17mm heads) now, which imo, was what it should have had from the get go. those oem bolts are too thin and the rubber grommet that lets it dance around is not smart imo.

thanks again friend. very much appreciated. ill post a vid on youtube so others can see
have a great weekend

oh, btw, would you know the size of the threading I would need to add a helicoil for the oil drain plug. that too is stripped. not from me though, I always wipe the thread of the hole and bolt very clean before inserting and tighten by hand but from the first oil change, it was stiff. 16.5ft/lbs with torque wrench also. its not leaking but something for the future to take care of.
  1. Can you not just get a longer bolt and add a spring washer and nut dispensing with the knackered threads. Cant help on the thread size whilst I have serviced the 400 I own a 650 well a broken one anyway. In relation to welding your exhaust might would be better if you have access to one. Stick will blow holes in it metal is too thin.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good avatar

I have a thread gauge so will check the bolt on next change the garage that replaced my crankshaft position sensor put the oil I use in so I have a while to go but will find the appropriate helicoil when I do. will use the old oil to flush the bits out and have a paper filter to catch any shards. also will use a magnet pen to get as much as I can out.

I spoke to a welder friend who said it should be fine. the muffler wall seems quite thick he said. set the welder to start at 100a and use 6013 for thin metal. maybe before I cut it open, ill use a disc to make a 1 inch cut on the side and try welding that and see how it works?

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
muffler packing, black powder, no sense getting smokeless when the flame makes such a great display in the grey cloud

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry buddy. I apoligize. I understand and love your humor. But I dont really understand what you noted. I think im going to wait a little to touch it. Im saving so hard (working 55-60 hours a week) for a less mileage burgman 400 and then i can take my time taking it apart and doing it without stress beacuse its my only ride atm. If I need some sterl or other parts I still. Will have another scooter to drivr. Im hoping in may ill find a good option. Will try for less then 45000km fingers crossed. I dont see it logical to buy another 400 scooter and i dont want anything smaller as in used to this size now.

Super moderator-fits you perfectly. Some other fantastic guys here who should be also

·
Registered
420 Posts
Check the forum for stripped threads. There's an alternative to Helicoil that works better for the oil drain.
Rather than a spring insert, its a steel insert that threads into the new hole then gets locked in place. I can't remember the name, though; I'm sorry.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe youre thinking of timesert? Thats another alternative. I think what may do, like with the muffler, is do those project repairs right after ill get my 2nd b400. That way im not rushed. Maybe ill get a plastic tube and use a pump to extract any old oil from the filler side and just leave the bolt in as its not leaking atm. Well see. I can then measure the bolt thread then find proper parts to do it right. If something doesnt work out while doing the job, im basically screwed and no bike till its fixed. It might mean ordering parts from overseas. Many things the usa has, I cant find here. Cheers

·
Registered
883 Posts
Sorry buddy. I apoligize. I understand and love your humor. But I dont really understand what you noted...
I think I see the confusion...he wasn't suggesting you blow up the bike, but that black powder in the muffler would make quite a pyrotechnic display. (Don't try this at home, kids.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts