Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I get my burgman trike out of the garage to take it for a ride hear a noise in the back. I noticed the muffler is loose. I see there is the two inch silver bolt of a thing that holds the muffler more tightly guess you would call it a brace that must slip into a weld that broke so now the muffler is night tightly secured.

So I went down to Ace Hardward got some stainless steel wire, went under the weld through the hold under the weld and wrapped it around that silver bolt of a thing.
Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

I will send a picture here if I can find out how to do it. Wondering if there is a better fix other than replacing the entire muffler which will be expensive. Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

As you can see this is the steel bolt that supports the muffler tight on the bike but the black weld has cracked off from most likely hitting bumps in the road over time. I have a Burgman exective 2010. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
17,846 Posts
should be able to re- weld it, take the muffler off and take it to a local shop that welds, get it done for $20.00 and a refreshin beverage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Micky, one thing I forgot to mention that steel silver part is stripped both nuts are loose can't get them tight so that part will need to be replaced. Is that a standard part on the Burgman for the muffler? I really never paid attention before how the muffler Is put on and supported.

The part that needs to be welded is cracked off that is the issue. This Siler part fits into the half moon slot. Wish I had a better picture buy on vacation down in Mississippi today. Then going to Alabama for the super bike race next weekend. Let me see if I have another picture of that area.
Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle
Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
Edit… That is a tricky spot. Looks like you could get a hacksaw blade in there to cut the bolt off.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting on the hose clamp but where would it anchor to? Buffer gets pretty hot will that hold?

Is that stainless steel part standard on the burgman bike?

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
Interesting on the hose clamp but where would it anchor to? Buffer gets pretty hot will that hold?

Is that stainless steel part standard on the burgman bike?

I edited the Hose Clamp idea seeing that you would want to use two on the muffler….I edited it because you can’t have the muffler flopping around or it could foul where it hooks to the engine and you don’t want that.

I’d cut the bolt and remove the muffler and have it repaired….. you don’t want to stress the bolts at the cylinder exhaust port….sorry.

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
106 Posts
Very easy repair for a good mechanic with welding equipmet or muffler shop, the standard configuration to hold the muffler is a thru bolt, spacer, washers and a "nut" on the other side of frame bracket(that will need to be held with a wrench while trying to remove bolt), you could source suitable subs at any hardware store, it appears they used a longer bolt and spacer for the trike mod to reposition/move muffler, IAC possibly binding/stress or loose hardware caused failure, should check other muffler fasteners JIC.

In a one piece assy. like the oem muffler on the 650, you may have to loosen all fasteners slightly to allow it to move/shift around to remove any binding from any single mounting point, IAC all this will be understood by a mechanically inclined individual.

BTW any temporary means to hold that muffler, keeping stress of cylinder head, is a good idea.

HTH, Good Luck !!

Reactions: DarisPakar
1 - 8 of 8 Posts