Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is starting to become an ongoing issue on my 650 burgman 2010. Where the connect is at near the side of the muffler to the bike the weld has broken off. The part that holds the muffle to the bike on the side is stripped. It is a $50 dollar part ami can reorder it from the dealer no big deal. Currently I have it wired up to the stipped bolt as I have a ride planned for next week. My buddy said just put a buggie cord around the muffler and hook it to the back passenger handrails. I cold do that but the muffler gets hot and most lolly will burn through the cord. Not sure haven't done that yet rather just fix it correctly. Not much left to weld but a good welder can fix it I hope. What do you think sending pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Maybe as a temporary fix a metal hanger strap from home depot or a steel tension band. Not sure if they make a tension band that large.

·
Administrator
23,628 Posts
Not sure what that spacer is for. Could be adding a stress area and causing fracture.

·
Administrator
23,628 Posts
As a TEMP, Homedepot and Lowes sell a roll of steel strap used for supporting plumbing to joists.$7.97 will get you 25 feet of steel strap. Wrap it twice around the muffler and bolt the long ends to make one long strap up to the frame. Bring the whole roll in case it breaks.
Pipeline transport Wood Beam Steel casing pipe Composite material

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
880 Posts
Not sure what that spacer is for. Could be adding a stress area and causing fracture.
It looks like a trike conversion, that spacer is added to reposition muffler, etc., your absolutely correct, stress cracks, not 100% sure but I think one solution is to loosen all muffler to head bolts and/or possibly add more washer to mid point hanger, IOW remove any binding. Of course, any good welder can fix that in no time. The stripped part, drill out threads and use longer bolt + nut?? :unsure:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really kind of a stupid way for suzuki to support that muffler to the bike. I never noticed other 650 burgmans how the muffler is fixed to the bike.

That steel round piece is were the muffler goes around it. Here in Ohio riding on some roads is like riding on a minefield. Between stress fractions in the road and potholes pluss sunken manhole covers bikes just fall apart.

I will check out some of your ideas thank you

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like a trike conversion, that spacer is added to reposition muffler, etc., your absolutely correct, stress cracks, not 100% sure but I think one solution is to loosen all muffler to head bolts and/or possibly add more washer to mid point hanger, IOW remove any binding. Of course, any good welder can fix that in no time. The stripped part, drill out threads and use longer bolt + nut?? :unsure:
Thanks Dave. I need to find a good welder. I thoughtvthe garage I took my bike to get repaired did a great job but coming home on Tuesday I heard noise from the right side of the trike. Got home noticed the weld cracked again.

Planning on a ride next Sunday to Powell Ohio like 100 miles from my home one way. My nephew is going to wire it up like last time should hold but I will need to get it fixed when I get back. I love my trike but always something

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ordered another part came on today will pick it up tomorrow again the part is stripped out. Weld broken so still need to get it welded for the second time. This time taking it to a guy who does welding not from from where I live. I hear he is good and works on bikes and cars can wait on it and he will get it done right away. First I need to get the coolant issue taken care of then the weld

·
Administrator
23,628 Posts
Is Burgman650$$ the same person as homeburg?

Same issues and same answers. Both from the Cleveland OH areas.

If so I need to merge both into 1 account.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts