Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the staff dropped something on the heat shield on the stored 650.

grrrrr

WHat do I need to fix this

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
A new employee?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
18 Posts
The universal kit will not fit. It is only 7" long and goes over a 1 3/4" pipe.
If you dont replace the muffler scrape all the chrome off and paint it silver with heat resistant paint.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Sounds like a case of gross misconduct and once found the toe rag should be fired.

How about knocking something up like this?

LINKY

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Excellent idea - what did you use for the base and the white
thanks
Would you do another with

MacDoc
www.macdoc.com

on it and how much? :D

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Sorry, I had this done about 8 years ago and procured from a German eBay seller who was a delight to do business with.

I have just done a search and he seems to have gone to ground and nothing else is coming up via search engines.

It is made of stainless steel and should be easy to sub contract, simple shape, accurate drilling for mounting and two simple shallow folds. Might be more difficult to source the laser engraving - but not impossible.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Just had a look at your website - very impressed, I am a recent convert and have dumped my PC for an iMac (preloved). Although I can get the maximum out of my iphone and ipad but must confess I am struggling getting to grips with the desktop environment and getting productive - but I am getting old.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As it turns out one of my staff used to work for a fabricator so may pursue that.
Could use the advertising anyways.

We sell a mix of used and new.
We have both a high end contingent in clients - like Technicolor and post-shops plus cost conscious schools and individuals.
28 years still have our first client from then so doing something right.

Low overheads - stay small and flexible - lets me roam and work from where ever.

Currently waiting on a Category 5 cyclone...:study: hitting in a few hours. It's a buzzsaw...look at that eye.
Fortunately we will get hit with a Cat 3 - bad enough and 20" of rain but the folks to the north ( luckily not many of them ....9,000 or so ) are really gonna get whacked.

Interesting times....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I was surprised that the tip on my exhaust is plastic/composite!
Almost completely melted from the inside out due to weld failure before the baffles.
I have a hollow "chrome" exhaust tip now???

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It doesn't surprise me that parts of the exhaust are made from plastic. Modern plastics can take higher temperatures than one would think. Plastics are durable and are light which is important with vehicles including motorcycles. The fenders on my Honda Element (2005) are made from plastic. The look just as good now as they did the day I bought it new.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
It doesn't surprise me that parts of the exhaust are made from plastic. Modern plastics can take higher temperatures than one would think. Plastics are durable and are light which is important with vehicles including motorcycles. The fenders on my Honda Element (2005) are made from plastic. The look just as good now as they did the day I bought it new.

I agree but the after market solid stainless steal muffler I have ordered is 20 lbs. lighter without any plastics even the heat shield is stainless! I bet it holds up better too......:rolleyes:
Cheap is cheap!

·
Registered
438 Posts
... It is made of stainless steel and should be easy to sub contract, simple shape, accurate drilling for mounting and two simple shallow folds. Might be more difficult to source the laser engraving - but not impossible.
Excellent. I've already replaced the one on my wife's bike (for $185). Had I seen this before, I would have gone around town to find a shop that could machine it (not hard) and chrome it (not hard). I suspect I could probably have it made up for $150 or less.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree but the after market solid stainless steal muffler I have ordered is 20 lbs. lighter without any plastics even the heat shield is stainless! I bet it holds up better too......
I'd like to do that too, after seeing how much better the ST1100 handled by removing the panniers I'm going on a weight loss campaign on the Burgman and it's rider :D

What's the link for the exhaust? Thanks

Do you have a pic??
I assume this for a 650?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Excellent. I've already replaced the one on my wife's bike (for $185). Had I seen this before, I would have gone around town to find a shop that could machine it (not hard) and chrome it (not hard). I suspect I could probably have it made up for $150 or less.

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary
I once had to have a trim ring made for my shower. I had it cut out of stainless and, while investigating options for having it chrome plated to match the fixtures, found a local shop that offered to polish it. The end result is indistinguishable from the plated fixtures even after 15 years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts