Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my Muffiler off today as i was doing this to get my back tire off i heard rattling inside does anyone know what it might be and is it bad for my bike just curious

·
Registered
585 Posts
Since there should be no moving parts in a muffler the offending part should not be there. However its not likely to be in a position to cause damage to your motor. Since you've never heard it before removing the muffler I'd guess its been there for some time and you haven't noticed it. Probably a small piece of metal broken off from vibration or a 'left-over' from the manufacturing process that got overlooked.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
It's baffles inside the muffler that have come loose and are rattling around. It's a common thing on the mufflers. Other than making the bike a little louder they really don't hurt anything. Mine has been rattling for a couple of years.

One thing you need to watch out for. If the baffle right at the back works loose it can let gas escape out under the plastic chrome trim cap on the end of the muffler. This can melt the plastic cap. I take the cap off mine every once in a while and check for leaks along the welds behind it. If I ever find any leaks I will weld them up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i took the end pc's off the weld is fine so far it maybe that when i was taken the dang thing off wasn't expecting it to be that heavy n it droped like 6 inches n hit my carport but not hard ..we'l see if its louder when i get my back tire back on thanks guys as always enjoy the quick responses you guys have saved me many man hours n $$$$$ again thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Following advice that I found here on the forums, I removed the hex nuts holding on the end of my muffler, one part at a time. Tightened them up, renistalled and now no rattle.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The muffler tip screws to a part that is also screwed in place. Only three screws hold the tip itself on, with the rest being just for looks. Take the tip off and see it any of the screws holding the internal piece are loose. I had lost two of the three tip screws and the nuts to them were rattling around inside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts