Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife will be taking one. Dumb question, but is the class the same for a maxi-scooter as it is for a motorcycle?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Yes, it is up here in Canada anyways. They actually run one of those classes just around the corner from where I live. I ride over on some weekend mornings just to watch the new recruits and talk to the teachers for a bit. Bikes are supplied up here and consist of 125's and 250's. It will be a great class for her.

·
Registered
394 Posts
While the Basic Riders Course (BRC) and the Experience Riders Course (ERC) are different from each other, the machine you ride doesn't make a difference. In fact, at least here in Minnesota, the BRC provides motorcycles, if you want. I highly recommend that, so that one understands shifting and if you do drop the bike, it isn't your own.

·
Registered
409 Posts
In Ohio, the MSF basic course teaches you as if you know nothing. They supply the motorcycles.

The advance course is conducted using your own bike or scooter.

I took the advance course three years ago on my Venture. This July, I'm taking it again on my Bandit. i opted for the Bandit this year instead of the Burgman.

Eddie

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
In New York State, you must have a motorcycle license to drive *ANY* 2-wheeled vehicle that's capable of going more than 30 miles per hour (yup, that includes my little Honda Elite 80), and passing the safety course can be substituted for a road test in obtaining that license.

Here, too, the teachers provide you with machines for the 'basic' rider course. For the advanced course you provide your own wheels.

Quite possibly California's Department of Motor Vehicles web site will tell you the particulars that apply in your state.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MSF Safety Class Question..

Some MSF instructors can be real A - Holes. Unfortunetely, your not
going to find that out until it's too late.

I would strongly urge anyone thinking of taking an MSF course
to first go and observe the actual riding portion of the course and
see how the instructors treat the students.

This way you will be able to detect the A - Holes BEFORE you
plunk down your hard earned money and you'll be able to assess
wether or not you think you can handle the riding.

Needless to say , if even one instructor is an A - Hole, take
Your bussiness elsewhere!

Good Luck Everyone !

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Re: MSF Safety Class Question..

Darknightryder77 said:
Some MSF instructors can be real A - Holes. Unfortunetely, your not
going to find that out until it's too late.

I would strongly urge anyone thinking of taking an MSF course
to first go and observe the actual riding portion of the course and
see how the instructors treat the students.

This way you will be able to detect the A - Holes BEFORE you
plunk down your hard earned money and you'll be able to assess
wether or not you think you can handle the riding.

Needless to say , if even one instructor is an A - Hole, take
Your bussiness elsewhere!

Good Luck Everyone !
What was the problem? As a former PA MSF Instructor and Site Coordinator I am curious about your comments.
In my 9 years with the PA Program I never saw an instructor act like an A-Hole with the students. That would have been the end of that instructors teaching career. I've known a few who I thought were in that catagory but I never saw a problem in the classroom or on the range.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Over the years I have taken the course 3 times in 3 states and read many statements about the course & teachers this is the first time I ever heard anything bad said about them.
In fact I have always thought of them as over worked under paid motorcycle enthusiast .
I have met some I did not like but I paid my money to learn what's new not make a friend , and of course I don't like dealing with the licensing department in most states. now if you want to call them names . :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts