Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I must have been gone from cycling to long.

What is this Motorcycle safety course? Does one HAVE to pass this course before you can ride a 2-wheeled vehicle, ie. a license to ride? Or is this an optional course such like the ATV safety course?

Is there an age limit? I could see a benefit to having young'uns take the course but us older geezers who have ridden widely.......

I checked here in Washington and I would have to pay for the course, wait several months to take it, then pay to get something called an "endorsement".

I'm sorry. When did this happen? When did we need special permission to ride our bikes?

Anyone in WA have any suggestions/advice for me?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well Capt Fish I guess I'm one of the young'uns you're refering to.
The MSF course is offered pretty much nationwide and it basically teaches one how to operate a motorcycle safely. I don't know how long you've been riding or how long you've had your motorcycle endorsement, but this is one good way to get it. Once you pass the course, you get a certificate of completion (or something like that) then you go to your local DMV and pay for motorcycle endorsement just like you have to pay for your regular driver's license. I'm signing up for the course to take here locally in September. Go the MSF website and take a look around.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Is there an age limit? I could see a benefit to having young'uns take the course but us older geezers who have ridden widely.......
I sure hope you were not going to add and know it all :)
The MSF course is a friendly way for new riders to learn --for old timers to remember --and for all to learn what's new and worth knowing..
No you don't have to take it, you may not even need it but I would (and did) take it after only a 6 year lay off.
Also I don't like long lines at the license division and then have some idiot (I mean person) who does not ride give me a test :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hey captainfish! The Motorcycle Safety Foundation has developed a course for teaching people how to operate a motorcycle and developing the mental attitude and skills needed to operate a bike on public roads. Just about every state has taken that course and modified it somewhat to meet their local traffic laws, etc. and offer it to their residents.
I believe in most states it is optional and not required to get your M/C License. Some states will give you your M/C license ( or a M/C endorsement to go with your current auto license) without taking the MVA or police test if you pass the MSF tests (riding skills and knowledge). Many insurance companies give a fair discount if you complete the course and pass the tests.
The course was designed to teach someone who has never operated a bike. However, once the lessons get past the basics (a few hours), there is an awful lot for us "older geezers" with a lot of miles under our butts to learn. You will be amazed at all of the bad habits and misconceptions that we all have picked up over the years that the instructors will bring to your attention. In my experience, usually at least 1/2 of the students in the classes have their M/C license and some riding experience.
As a retired MSF Instructor for PA, I HIGHLY recommend to anyone, whether a beginner or a rider who has never taken the course, to enroll. Once you have completed the course, you can take the Experienced Riders Course (usually 1 day) to sharpen your skills. In fact, I'd recommend taking this couse every year at the beginning of the riding season just to get back up to speed after the winter layoff.
Hope this answers some of your questions. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Money well spent

:) Took the course two weeks ago really thought it was worth the money it cost.Learned a lot about motorcycleing that I didn't know. Can not ever learn to much when it comes to saftey.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you learn one thing from the course it is worth it. I have been riding for 36 years. Three years ago I took the msf advance course. I couldn't take all of the tests because my Venture had linked brakes. I learned quite a bit. This year I'm taking it again on my Bandit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just took the refresher course that's offered here in Ottawa - it had been 20+ years since I had ridden a motorcycle when I got my Burgie.

Almost all the other people on the course were experienced riders who were required to take the course by their insurance companies (in some cases taking the course and getting the certificate cut their costs in half!).

I found the course tough - and some of the things that we were doing weren't easy on the scoot because of the automatic transmission and linked brakes. But I enjoyed it, and feel that I'm a better rider for taking it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I guess I need to take a look into this MSF. If you guys are saying that even as experienced riders are learning something from the advanced course, then I am never to big in my britches to learn something new too.

I appreciate the talk, and the info. I think I will just go down and take the written test at DMV to get the silly endorsement, then sign up for the advanced class.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Most states (Washington included) require both written and riding skills tests in order to get the endorsement. You will need to make an appointment in order to take the skills test. See the WA DMV site at : http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/mtrcycle.htm

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
billmeek said:
Most states (Washington included) require both written and riding skills tests in order to get the endorsement.
Yeah, sorry, that is what I meant. Either way I go, I guess, it will take two trips to the DMV...... which is over an hour away. So, it is not very convenient.

Insert your favorite DMV jokes here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts