Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I will post here in the the general discussion area,I did not see the oddly ironic or just old fashioned bad luck section of the site. This is a bit long so humor me please.

Last Saturday and Sunday, I took my MSF Basic RiderCourse so that I could receive the motorcycle endorsement on my drivers license. Overall it was fun, and I learned a bunch about how to ride a shifty bike on a broken-up and degraded old blacktop parking lot, and a bit in the classroom about how to ride on the street. I was one of two folks in class who had very little or no motorcycle piloting experience. The other five people had all been riding for quite a while and were in class only to receive the completion card that would allow them to be legal riders in the State of Oklahoma.

Our class only had one person drop out, and it was because they overheated. (Note to anybody
attending any event in the full sun with a heat index temperature over 99+ degrees: try not wear a long sleeve black hoodie, boots, black jeans, gloves, and black full face helmet that you don’t know how to take off no matter how cool you look.)

I passed my MSF skills test on Sunday afternoon and drove thirty minutes back home, where I was going meet a father and son from class that I was intending to give a spare helmet to.
I was hot and tired and hungry and in a hurry. Upon arriving at home, I realized that I had locked myself out of the house. I will leave out the details of breaking and entering into my own home, but I did get in. I gave the helmet to the two guys and they left. I then returned to the site of the break-in to try and clean up the crime scene. As I was stepping off the back porch, I missed the last two steps and wrenched my foot /ankle. I hit the ground hard. I do not know if I had been ATGATT, if it would have kept me from severely spraining my ankle and receiving a strange assortment of scrapes and bruises, but the fall has kept me off my bike for the last three days.

If all stories need to have a point, I am going to offer up a couple of observations based upon the 46800+ of seconds of training experience I have as a motorcyclist.

1) If I am hot- tired- hungry- or otherwise distracted, I need to be more vigilant about my surroundings and actions

2) ATGATT is not necessary for just walking around the house or yard for most riders but I appear to be a special case .;)
3) Most accidents do occur close to home, even more so if you never leave the house.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Congrats on passing the course!
I know that heat exhausted hungry zombie mode to well.
Bought a used truck last month after working outside all day on the hottest day of the year and proceeded to immediately lock the keys in it while it was running. Doh!
Thankfully a Police officer with criminal skills (and a slimjim) had pulled into the gas station for some coffee and donuts and rescued me. :cool:

·
Registered
123 Posts
congrats on passing the course. I think all riders should take this course, I learned a lot even though I had been riding for years. Sorry about your ankle, heal quick and ride.

·
Registered
857 Posts
You'll have a blast gaining more experience once you're finished healing from your sprained ankle!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts