Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally - after resheduling twice.

Good stuff. Scraped the centerstand about 10 times (or something - havent looked yet - still sweating from a hundred mile round trip with bike arobic antics in the middle of the "ride") and locked up the front tire twice (once for at least 2 feet) - maaan - i guess i didn't know me own strength - er i mean front brake strength! Goood Moonpie -she didn't buck me off - it was surreal! Very good instructor! Only 3 other riders. Honda 700 Shadow, Suzuki 1000 Crotch, and a Honda CBR 750 (I think) The instructor had a naked Yamaha 1000. Got my card - handed out my burgman cards - of course everyone was intrigued. Did the figure 8 u-turns in the 500cc and below box - :twisted: I think the instructor was a bit miffed due to the trailing rear brake thing which makes those tight moves so easy.

This big scooter is SO MUCH easier and safer to ride than a standard bike. However now that I've gone to edge with the brakes it would be nice to have an anti-lock option on the front at least. :roll: (Cheese - did I just type that!?)

Ppl started doing goofy stuff after class was over so I went ahead and layed down a smokey 20' long strip of rubber. :D

I recommend the course to anyone with some miles under their belt. It cost 100 bux there in Pensacola FL.

Cheers - Pete

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Congratulations Pete for a job well done.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well - I have to be honest 'bout that Dutch. I was expecting a bit more upper speed stuff. I wanted more knowledge overall - after all was said and done. I was looking for the "important" minutiae (oxymoron?) and those kind of "racers' tips" weren't filling my bucket too fast. The instructor added a lot of personal tid-bits that I dug - but - seems as though he was required to stay within the MSF "party lines" when it came to what info he did put out. He gave it a pretty valiant effort - and I know he was stretching the boundry of "instructor/class" relationships - but I liked the class better for his reach.

The lady on her 700 Shadow slowed down the "road course opportunity" and other "opportunities" that were afforded...where the instructor sets everyone to go, at a good clip, around a short "race track" or "obstacle" type layout and well - we all ended up stacking up behind her and her 10mph "thing" -hell - I was ready to swap paint and scrape chassis parts!! Sigh - nice woman - but that wasn't going to be her "thing" she just wanted to pass the class while I wanted to have Moonpie get out from under me!! :p

What I got out of it was how capable my scooter and I are. I learned that the front twin disks are mighty powerfull, and that the very good rear disk brake on Moonpie (I think) actually kept the front end from washing out during a perfectly straight front-lock situation. I also learned that riding an obstacle (or any type) course fast with your rear shocks set to the softest level will make you scrape (yeah - now I looked) the "pinkie-feet" on your center stand main pads.

I also liked the "quick lane swerve and then stop" maneuver - He asked us to do it at about 15 or 20mph and by the time I was going through there the final time I was close to 40. Can you (almost) say "Flickable?" :)

The Burgman is a very steady motorcycle and I think that the best thing I got out of the deal was the knowledge that I made the best choice for an all around capable fast and cool conveyance. I bet I felt better than everyone else there - including our instructor.

Whew - does that answer that? :oops:
Pedz.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Pete,

Thank you for that report. I took the class a couple years ago on my first bike, a Kawasaki EX500 (Ninja), and managed to scrape that. Like you, I thought the speeds were going to be notched up a bit more, but I was happy with what I took away from the experience. I'd like to go again, but I'm trying very hard not to grind more tupperwear off the scooter.

·
Registered
806 Posts
When I took the basic and advanced at the same time, as the military mandated both at the time, I got yelled at for not covering my clutch. The third time, the guy looked at me and said "I forgot, you don't have a clutch!!"

That was on my HOndamatic, where the "clutch" lever is actually a parking brake.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks for the infor! I have locked up both brakes on the street just to see how the burgie performs. No problem when it come to breaking in a straight line. My only complaint is to have your feet forward or you could slide off the seat some. I also try swerving once in a while while I ride just to keep sharp.

In the beginning class I took, the instructor added his personal tidbits and he made the class alot more interesting and enjoyable. I am not into extra scraping of body parts I do enough of that on my own. Thanks again!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I first took the erc in 2001 on my Venture. Took it again this year on the Bandit. They changed the course from three years ago. I preferred the old course. There was classroom as well as riding time.

I'll try to take it again in two years on the Burgman

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We had classroom time - and it wasn't that bad. It lasted about an hour an a half. Had to discuss stuff for about 20 minutes - watch a few videos - and take a written test. Then we had to ride about eight miles to the "skills course" and do our "tricks" there. Then after about 7.5 hours I was able to do the best burnout I've ever done on a scooter (uh the only rolling scooter burnout) - it was almost as good as my GS450 - 'cept the fact that it hit the rev limiter and I wasn't experienced enough to know ta go ahead and smack the paddle up for 2nd gear - and on my GS I was able ta speed shift up thru 2nd with the rear still smokin at 45mph...well 20 aint bad on a slush pump. :lol: .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts