Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone explain why the MPH is actually lower then what the speedometer reads ? and is this consistent at all speeds?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Why?
I think it's been noted that many bike makers do it and it's surmised because of liability reasons. I do not understand it, I just compensate and go on. :)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Why?

Could be a failure of the manufacturer to figure out how to calibrate the speedo.

Could be a conspiracy to let motorcycle riders "think" they are going fast when they are not.

Could be that today's miles are a different length than the miles were back when motorcycles were first invented. Kinda like women's dress and shoe sizes.

Could be that Suzuki thinks there's an exchange rate like there is with money and such. Perhaps one Japanese mile = 90% of one American mile.

We can only wonder. :wink:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
4DThinker said:
Why?

Could be a failure of the manufacturer to figure out how to calibrate the speedo.

Could be a conspiracy to let motorcycle riders "think" they are going fast when they are not.

Could be that today's miles are a different length than the miles were back when motorcycles were first invented. Kinda like women's dress and shoe sizes.

Could be that Suzuki thinks there's an exchange rate like there is with money and such. Perhaps one Japanese mile = 90% of one American mile.

We can only wonder. :wink:
You really have to finish recuperating. You're spending far too much time at the computer thinking in the 4th dimension.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I think he has it nailed with #2.
It is a conspiracy to make m/c riders think they are going faster than they are so that the "suits" can have a private chuckle when they hear bragging going on.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Welcome to BUSA, CruiseII!

There have been a number of discusions on this topic, & I have yet to see one with any sort of definitive answer other than he fact that every one of the Burgmans tested, 400 & 650, are showing 10% high on the speedo.

There have been some suggestions that there are "black boxes" available tp fix the problem, but the expense of doing so just doesn't make sense. What really blows is that though the speedo is 10% high, the odometers are nearly perfect in logging mileage. From this you can pretty much assume that it is intentional, though the "why" is as elusive as ever.

It has also been pointed out that Suzuki isn't the only manufacturer doing this, it appears that nearly all motorcycle speedos are off on the high side.

Again, one can only wonder.....

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Personally, I think the 'WHY' is because, for some reason, they could not synchronize the odometer and speedometer correctly and decided to have the odometer accurate (or nearly so). But, yes, it's just another GUESS!

·
Registered
153 Posts
10% Slower

Hi ppl

If, like you say, the speedometer indicates 10% more speed than your real speed, it means that, when your Odometer counter indicates that your bike already travelled 5500 Miles, in fact she only have travelled 5000 Miles (less 10%)

Is this true?

Do you know the meaning of this?

Lets think together. :idea:

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
According to most folks who have studied this phenomenon the odometer reads true while the speedometer is 'adjusted.'

In a digital system, really easy to program. In an analog system it requires different sized gears to make adjustments for tire size etc.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
The only people who know for sure work for Suzuki, and they ain't talking.
The closest response someone posted from them claimed that the 10% thing was within their specs.
If theses things are 10% off across the board, and it sure seems to be the case, they are doing it on purpose, and there is no reason that they couldn't be accurate.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
This has been brought up before but some seem to have forgotten -- virtually all cars and motorcycles have optimistic speedometers. The only difference is the amount of optimism.

Police cars have special calibrated speedometers. Our local paper used to have a Police Report feature. Under Vehicle Violations they would post the name, speed, speed limit, and fine for speeding offenses. Not too surprisingly they never gave speeding tickets in 55mph zones for 61mph or less, and very few for 62mph.

It seems to me that all of this discussion is much ado about nothing. You know the speedometer is off. Suzuki actually does you a favor by making it as easy as possible to estimate your actual speed. I'd hate to do the math for 4% optimism.

But, I agree it's fun bitch'n about it. :lol:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
All three of my 4 wheeled vehicles, 2 cars and a truck, all have speedo's that are accurate enough to be considered dead on, according to those speed trailers they put on the roadside, and by using the milepost markers on the freeway.

By the way, based on discussions with several police officers who patrol near here, they can write tickets out for even 1 mph over the limit if they wish. They don't, for obvious reasons, but they can. And they can also use that same 1 mph over as an excuse to pull you over to check for seatbelt use (or anything else the want), which isn't a primary offense in Minnesota, you have to be caught for something else first. Granted, in our situation seat belt use isn't pertinent.

As an IT professional, it just irks me that any instrumentation is that innacurate, and intentionally to boot.

·
Registered
103 Posts
FYI: Honda Motorcycle Speedometer Recall

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Models: Honda CBR1000RR Year: 2004
Number Potentially Involved: 8,189
Dates of Manufacture: December 2003 – April 2004
Defect: On certain motorcycles, some digital speedometers may experience a computer program error, causing the speedometer to indicate approximately 25 percent less than the actual vehicle speed. This condition can result in the vehicle being driven at an illegal or unsafe speed, which could increase the risk of a crash.
Remedy: Dealers will install an updated speedometer and associated components. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification began on June 1, 2004. Owners may contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009.

[NHTSA Recall No. 04V254/Honda Recall No. P32]

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Interesting, addicted.
Of course, theirs is wrong in the other direction, making theirs show less than you are travelling and possibly opening up the doors to a class-action suit to be responsible for speeding tickets, court fees, et. al.
I doubt we'd see a costly recall from Suzuki or any maker whose not in the realm of liability that Honda is in.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Re: FYI: Honda Motorcycle Speedometer Recall

addicted said:
Remedy: Dealers will install an updated speedometer and associated components. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification began on June 1, 2004. Owners may contact Honda at 1-800-999-1009.
I'm curious if the "updated" speedometer will be truly accurate, or over corrected to be 10% off the other direction. :wink:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Re: FYI: Honda Motorcycle Speedometer Recall

4DThinker said:
addicted said:
I'm curious if the "updated" speedometer will be truly accurate, or over corrected to be 10% off the other direction. :wink:
Wouldn't that be a kick in the you know where!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: 10% Slower

TomRider said:
...If, like you say, the speedometer indicates 10% more speed than your real speed, it means that, when your Odometer counter indicates that your bike already travelled 5500 Miles, in fact she only have travelled 5000 Miles (less 10%)
With an old mechanical speedometer and odometer, that would usually be true.

But with the electronic odometer and speedometer of the Burgman 650 it's not; the sender sends a count of revolutions to the computer, and that count is calculated as miles/kilometers and MPH/km/h seperately for the two different instruments.

So the speed reading is almost exactly 10% high while the distance is only off by a little (2-3% in my testing).

The current aftermarket, add-on, speedometer calibrators go between the sender and the computer, and if you correct the speed then the distance will read low.

For a true correction, the computer needs to be reprogrammed. It wouldn't cost much to do, but I doubt Suzuki will ever do it unless laws are changed to require it.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I gave up worrying about what the speedometer is displaying and bought a Garmin Quest GPS instead (City Select - North America v7). Now I know exactly how fast I'm going and where I am on the planet at all times. :)

Since our Canadian Burgman's (eh?) only display in Kmh, it's really nice to be able to have the Quest display mph when I cross into Washington State. It's even nicer to be able to punch in an address or place, & have the GPS give me the route to follow, plus information on how far away it is and how long to get there. Just too cool!

Got to love technology! :D

BTW, I live at: N 48° 29.593' & W 123° 23.464'

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts