Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had my 08 long enough to run a couple of tanks of gas through it. On both tanks, the actual calculated MPG was 4.5 MPG better than the readout on the bike. Is that normal? My last 3 cars were closer to accurate but they all showed a little higher MPG than the actual MPG.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yes that is typical. It may get slightly more accurate with more mileage. The fuel gauge on mine is fairly accurate and when it gets into the RED I start looking for a fill up.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
The important thing is to figure out what that difference is. Mine, like yours, is about 3-4 mpg off. While it may not be totally accurate, it is enough to estimate how far you have left in your tank.

My commute is 30 miles each way. Three round trips, works out well for one fillup when my gas mileage is above the 60 mpg mark. I can even sit in a traffic jam on that sixth leg of the commute on the tank. 60 miles x 3 days = 180 miles. 3.5 gallon tank x 60 mpg = 210 miles range I feel pretty comfortable.

But if my MPG readout drops down to 55 which it has done with the traffic bottlenecks we've been having, I can't comfortably make three round trips. 60 miles x 3 days = still is 180 miles. But, 3.5 gallon tank x 55 mpg = 192 mile range. Now I'm beginning to sweat a little, especially if I need to go up a hill or get caught in a traffic jam.

FWIW, I also find the first gallon drops the gauge to the 3/4 mark. The next gallon goes from 3/4 to 1/4 tank. The last gallon is from 1/4 to deep in the red. Never run out, but I have gone 210 miles before. BTW, I fill up by putting the bike on the centerstand and rocking it about 3-4 times to get the air bubbles out of the tank.

Chris

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
are you resetting the MPG read out at each fill up?
Are you filling to the same level (in the tank) each time? Do you "burp" the tank when filling?
In the long term (several fill-ups) and before the speedo broke, my MPG read out is pretty close to MPG calculated from miles vs. gallons used :) but now the read out is 00.0 :(

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have found the trip computer fuel readout to be very accurate and in keeping with my pencil and paper method. There is virtually no difference in my fuel consumption figures using the two different methods of measuring. It may of course vary slightly from bike to bike. It's worth noting that some riders report the fuel computer is more accurate when on a steady and longer run, rather than when on urban or in town commutes where the rider is wringing the throttle more over short distances and stopping and going. The ecu has more difficulty keeping up with the flow rate measurements as they are more erratic. This introduces more margin for errors. Do you 'Burp' your tank when filling? If someone else filled the bike for you fully with the burp technique, and you didn't, that would largely account for the difference you see.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quantum Mechanic said:
I have found the trip computer fuel readout to be very accurate and in keeping with my pencil and paper method. There is virtually no difference in my fuel consumption figures using the two different methods of measuring. It may of course vary slightly from bike to bike. It's worth noting that some riders report the fuel computer is more accurate when on a steady and longer run, rather than when on urban or in town commutes where the rider is wringing the throttle more over short distances and stopping and going. The ecu has more difficulty keeping up with the flow rate measurements as they are more erratic. This introduces more margin for errors. Do you 'Burp' your tank when filling? If someone else filled the bike for you fully with the burp technique, and you didn't, that would largely account for the difference you see.
Where I ride, there is little or no steady riding. 90+% of the roads I ride on are steep and crooked mountain roads. I don't burp the gas tank but I refill exactly the same way each time I fill up at the same gas pump with the same nozzle. The first tank was mixed riding with some short trips where I got 61.5 MPG and the second tank was on one long ride on crooked roads where I got 67 MPG. The weather has been 30-50 f. The mileage difference between the readout and hand calculated was almost exactly the same a 4.5 MPG.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Mine on average has always been 4 to 5 mpg low and that's for 42,000 + miles of record keeping. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts