Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 650 an ddrove it back from FL to KS. I got as high as 48mpg, but generally about 45mpg. It has the givi box, and givi windshield, so I thought that might have effected the mileage.

Can anyone tell me if that's about the average mpg?

Thanks,

camrakid

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Soundzabout right, maybe a tad low....but then again, you were interstate. My second tank, calculated with a pocket calculator, with a tight motor, around town, with lots of "listening to the venturis :wink: "
I registered 44.8.

I know I am getting better now. Depends on the ratio of twist versus go! :twisted:

Hey - it ain't no minibike! :D - and it's a helluva lot better than my ancient 15mpg cage!

I ain't complainin!

Anyone gotta VW TDI they'll trade me!? :wink:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Maybe I should take you up on that -- so I can get a TDI Passat wagon before they're no longer availible. You want a green 4-door Golf TDI with larger fuel injectors, a 2" lift kit, snow tires/wheels... Just kidding. I like my car too much. :) At 140k miles, it's only halfway through its life. At 42mpg winter, 47 summer, it gets about as good a mileage as the 'lardy' 650!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
oooo - the shooting brake.
now why'dja hafta go an do that! :) you oughta be ashamed nail-heading into my "duka" like that! 8)
gimme a black jetta "estate" with dark tinted windows, tdi, tan leather, 5 speed, gps, sunroof, ana, ana, ana, :twisted:
:wink:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I can't for the life of me figg'r out why you Deep Southerners, Arizona folks, etc., like black cars. :roll: You must like cookin'.

But back to camrakid's question -- what are the rest a y'all getting for mileage on 650's?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
You never mentioned your average cruising speed. The 650 gets thirsty when cruising above 70 mph. I've recorded a high of 61 mpg but usually average around 51. Most of my driving is on the highways.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The first two tankfulls on Arnie returned 57mpg (Imperial), but I tried not to allow the revs to stay above 4k rpm for long. I suspect that consumption will rocket once all the horses have been set free :wink:

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
MPG

Miles: 4743
Gallons: 86.4
Overall MPG: 54.9

Highest: 59.5 Lowest: 47.5

Usually run the speed limit or 5 mph over. (actual, not indicated)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mileage

I'm surprised to hear that it is thirsty after 70. Many of the highways are 70 and many people drive that to +5 over. I would think at a constant speed it wouldn't make much difference the speed. Of course there were occassions where I exceeded that just a tad bit (ok maybe more than just a tad at 95 but only for a few seconds). I did use the throttle lock, but didn't pay much attention if that helped or not other than helping my hand to be able to rest. I just filled up for the first tiem around town, and am curious to what I will get for mileage with that. 45+ mileage on the hiway on an average I won't complain about. It gets twice what my car got, and is a blast to ride. Can't aske fo rmuch more than that.

Keep the rubber on the road and the shiny side up.

Live to ride, but ride to live (safety first)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Hope everybody realizes that the Canadian/imperial gallon is bigger then the US gallon.
More miles per gallon.
Ooops , KMs per gal., er, KMs per litre, ah hell! :twisted:
We even have to freeze our hmm hmms off in Celsius now. :x

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Re: mileage

camrakid said:
I'm surprised to hear that it is thirsty after 70. Many of the highways are 70 and many people drive that to +5 over.
That's the reason the 2005 models now have the overdrive. Here's a quote that you might find useful :

pauljo said:
As for mileage, since I reverted to the stock windscreen (with Givi trunk installed also) I have run through quite a few tanks of gas. Mileage has stayed consistently in the 48 - 50 mpg range. Prior to that, running with the XXL Clearview windscreen, I was consistently getting 43 mpg. There is no doubt at all at this point that the Clearview XXL was costing me at least 5 mpg - sometimes more."

The XXL does give a huge amount of wind protection, but it will cost you mpg and also impacts top speed and high speed acceleration. With the stock screen I could hit 115 mph without the Givi trunk and 108 mph with the Givi trunk. With the XXL I was hard pressed to hit 100 mph - sometimes it would top out at 97 or 98 mph. This all may be a reasonable tradeoff to you if wind protection is your primary objective.

I am 6'6" tall, and I currently have a older style Clearview LG screen (no handwings) and supplement it with SAENG micro-swirl edging. I get more air on my body (which I like, especially in the hot weather) and the wind hits my helmet just above the top of the visor. Depending on the direction and velocity of the wind, I sometimes get some very mild helmet buffeting. The mileage penalty for this setup seems to be about 1 mpg compared to the stock screen. High speed acceleration is excellent - top speed is compromised by about 1 mph.

In general, the larger the windscreen, the more the penalties in mpg and high speed performance. There is always a trade-off between operating efficiency and comfort. The windscreen is, among other things, an air brake.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have gotten as low as 38 mpg when cruising at an indicated 80 mph when touring - and that is with a smaller windscreen than the big XXL. About the best it will do under those circumstances is 40 mpg. Drop speed to 65 mph and mileage goes back into the mid to high forties. But out here in the plain states you pretty much have to do 80 to stay with the flow of traffic once you get away from the cities.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: mileage

camrakid said:
I'm surprised to hear that it is thirsty after 70. Many of the highways are 70 and many people drive that to +5 over. I would think at a constant speed it wouldn't make much difference the speed.
While idling at traffic lights, and jackrabbit starts are the biggest wasters of fuel, high speed riding -- even at a steady speed -- uses more than riding steady at lower speeds (as long as it's fast enough to get into the highest gear).

The reason is that aerodynamic drag increases at the square of the speed. So increasing from 50MPH to 60MPH has some effect on drag, but increasing from 60 - 70 has a much bigger effect even though it's still a 10MPH increase. Going from 70 - 80 has a huge effect on drag, but it's still just a 10MPH increase. It's an exponential, rather than linear, increase in drag.

Bikes with big windshields and luggage boxes have higher drag to start with, so the increase at high speeds really adds up quickly.

My best run range-wise was 201 miles on 3.88 gallons -- mostly at 70 - 75MPH, the last 50 miles (when I realized I had missed a planned fuel stop) at 55 - 60MPH. 201 / 3.88 = 51.8MPG.

On the same trip I went 200.1 on 3.63, for 55.12MPG. I did most of that at 60 - 65MPH, going for range versus speed.

Normally I wouldn't advise going anywhere past 180 miles without filling up, but these two cases (one accidental, one on purpose) were exceptions.

My worst mileage was during the first week I had it, when all my riding was around town in the lower "gear" ranges: 36MPG. Thankfully it got better in a hurry after break-in.

I still have the stock screen and no luggage.

·
Registered
639 Posts
lilleyen said:
We even have to freeze our hmm hmms off in Celsius now. :x
Maybe in the East, but here in BC we broke five heat records today (in celsius of course). :shock:

My daffodils are up and my grass is in desperate need of mowing, but I am having too much fun riding. 8)

Sorry, I just had to rub it in! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts