Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So In 3 weeks we are moving out of Shitcago area to suncity west Arizona. Wifey is retiring and we will go down to one road car, golf cart and my burgman. Questions... will I be able to handle heat riding to work and what not? Helmet laws? Short windshield? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
You will want to get a mesh jacket or remove the lining from yours and wear a helmet with vents opened. It is more comfortable to sweat and have it evaporate thru your venting than not wearing anything .....trust me I know now....I was an Ohioan who thought just riding with a t-shirt was cooler ....not.

People over the age of 18yrs are free to ride without a helmet.

They make bandanas with water absorbing beads that you tie around you neck wet that helps give you a cool feeling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I have black mesh jacket and black shoei neotech That I wear 90% while riding. so will have to see how much I can handle!

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Thank you! I have black mesh jacket and black shoei neotech That I wear 90% while riding. so will have to see how much I can handle!
Don’t worry about it .....it’s a dry heat 🤣

·
Administrator
18,069 Posts
A cut down 'SPORT' windshield may help. They are easy to cut down. Not so easy to uncut.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Shitcago haha.
Get a used shield for cheap for the summer from ebay to cut up. Keep oem for bad weather. Whats the weather like in arizona year round?

Here, the heat will destroy any vehicle. Thermostat or whatever. Its hot as eff humid and in the traffic light/bottleneck the cooling system may seem to do well but its cooking it hard. Make sure to repace fluids. Theres hot and there's scorching which may not have the bike show damage or break down right there but it slowly but surely it will wear out the motor quickly. Usually jrad gasket is firat.

Replace coolant for summer Add some royal purple and let it sit at idle to see that the fan comes on
As soon as I get my new(er) 400 im adding some extra items for prevention. The hear also tires out the clutch pads and belt

I dont care how how it is, I will never ever use anything other than a full face helmet. No flip no modular. 1 piece full face

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wear mesh gear that is NOT black.
I like the Hi Vis Yellow but a lot have too much black on them.

Enjoy the heat.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Light colored helmet with dark-tinted visor (carry a spare clear visor for use after sunset), light colored mesh gear, light-colored gloves.
Stay hydrated. No, seriously, you need more water and Gatorade (probably the low-sugar/no-sugar versions) than you think you do. And then some.

If you're dripping sweat, you need more airflow. If your skin is dry, you need less airflow, weird as that may seem.* And check that you're not dehydrated... (easy check: go pee -- if it's clear, you're fine; if it's dark-colored, you're dehydrated. If you can't at all, you could be VERY dehydrated.) Dehydration can be FATAL, especially while riding a motorcycle.

A light-colored helmet with a tinted full visor (full helmet, modular, or 3/4 with full face shield) is cooler than no helmet, if it's reasonably well vented and you keep moving.
Black gloves will become uncomfortably hot.
Tight-fitting lightweight perforated gloves may give you polka-dotted sunburn. Ask me how I know.

You can ride in extreme hot weather. Sometimes it's not exactly fun, though.

Credentials: Summers in Las Vegas, including local riding and trips to and from Salt Lake City and Los Angeles.

* NOTE: This is for desert riding only. If you're riding in a hot and humid climate, you want maximum airflow always.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Other points:
The 650 does a really good job of keeping its engine heat away from the rider, which is nice in hot weather.

If it's too hot to ride during the day, get out at night when you can.

If you leave the bike uncovered in the sun, the seat and handgrips may become too hot to touch. Lay a wet rag over the seat and let it dry*. When it's dry, the seat under the rag will be cool. (acts like a swamp-cooler with no moving parts) Same goes for the grips, but you'll be wearing gloves so it won't be as much of a problem.

*carry a couple of clean rags. Use one of your spare water bottles (make it a habit to pack a few) to soak the rag.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I live in Sun City West. It is hot, but you can still ride to work up to about 108 degrees. After that the air tends to burn your fingers and you will need to wear gloves. Yes, our nights can get cold, sometimes as low as 103 degrees. Summers are hot, and winters aren't always as warm as they would have you believe. However, it is usually no more than an hour to something that is pretty comfortable.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
I live in Sun City West. It is hot, but you can still ride to work up to about 108 degrees. After that the air tends to burn your fingers and you will need to wear gloves. Yes, our nights can get cold, sometimes as low as 103 degrees. Summers are hot, and winters aren't always as warm as they would have you believe. However, it is usually no more than an hour to something that is pretty comfortable.
I was in Yuma a few times in the winter, walking from the base to the town, kinda chilly, but then I might have had a little blood thinner in my system

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Las Vegas and I mounted a small battery operated fan on my windshield and I fill my underseat bucket with ice whenever the temperature exceeds 115.

·
Administrator
18,069 Posts
I spent a week one day in Sierra Vista, at Ft Huachuca AZ.

It was summer time and hit 118F in the shade. For me, nah, you guys can keep that.
It did get up to 92F here today :( Not a normal May temp.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Roswell, NM. We have already seen over 100. Don't believe weather report AKA it's hotter and more humid (don't scare away tourist). My suomy has vents.
Columbia Men's Terminal Deflector Printed Long Sleeve
Was recommended. Looking FWD to trying it. YES lots and lots of H2O...never enough.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts