Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year of owning (and riding) my 08 Triumph Scrambler, I think it's time to move onto something more comfortable. Long rides on the Triumph result in some cramping at the hips and the storage potential is not ideal for a weekend out.

I have a line on a new 2013 650 for just under $9k and that seems like a good price considering the price for a new model year.

Im a tall guy 6"3" w/ a 34 inseam and right at 225 lbs. I like the fact I can move my feet on the Burgman and my wife would probably enjoy this more as a two up. Does the Burgman really have the juevos to ride two up over a considerable distance?

What should I look out for? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes it does.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Yes the 650 can handle 2 people on all day rides with relative ease. I rarely ride two up but have ridden 2 up from Durant, OK back into Dallas on 75 running with traffic.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I ride mostly two up on my Burgman 650 without any problems and this includes interstate miles.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
230 Posts
Two up is a breeze i have sat on 160kph (100mph) for 30ks going with wife and enough gear for 7 days and still had enough to overtake .It was a 4000k round trip were average speed was 120kph,hit the power button and your away ,and this is coming from a person who has owned an st1100 (still a great bike but a bit heavy) and currently own 3 ducati's though none of them i would call a touring bike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the input.

I tested out a new (2013) 650 today and two things come to mind. 1 - when you're used to riding a motorcycle, going to a scooter initially feels weird - as in not the same driving dynamics or geometry, left hand brake lever vs a clutch lever where you can feather the clutch. And 2 - somebody please do something about that butt stop! I simply couldn't get my arse far enough back to get comfortable on the seat. That in itself is almost a deal breaker.

On the plus side, the wind protection was better than I expected as a tall guy (6'3") and the usable power was really impressive. I still have a hard time envisioning me and the missus going across the state on a road trip. I'm not writing it off completely but it warrants more investigation.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It took me about 40 miles of crooked mountain roads to adjust to a scooter after coming off of 40 years of motorcycle riding. The longer I ride, the faster I can go in the twisties.

the Butt stop is adjustable. Lift the seat and you will see the adjustment.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
You can feather the left brake while using a little throttle to emulate feathering the clutch on a standard motorcycle.

The buttstop is fairly easy to remove to get a little more room.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can feather the left brake while using a little throttle to emulate feathering the clutch on a standard motorcycle.

The buttstop is fairly easy to remove to get a little more room.
Im going to see if they'll remove the buttstop and do another test ride…
That, or look for other saddles.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Im going to see if they'll remove the buttstop and do another test ride…
That, or look for other saddles.
Removing the butt bumper will give you the most extra room on a stock seat. But adding a BB riser or an aftermarket backrest will still give you and extra couple inches and a very comfortable cockpit.

http://www.3brothersperformance.com/

Try it without the BB, then go from there. I'd try a riser first as they're the least expensive. Then explore new saddles if you're still not satisfied.

·
Registered
213 Posts
TX, the 650 has plenty of power for two up riding. I think the real issue is how comfortable the passenger seat and footrests are for your wife. If possible, let her at least sit on it to see if it fits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts