Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently riding a Suzuki Savage 650. It's a single and shakes and buzzes like it was designed in the 80s....wait, it was.... Anyway, one of the reasons I'm thinking hard about the Burgman is that I'd like some storage and a bit more civilized ride, but I'm not big enough or rich enough to go all the way to a Gold Wing....plus, I want something that I can jump on for a trip to the store, which I do equally as much as 100 mile interstate rides.

The Savage will do 85 mph on the highway flat out (86 down hill...with the wind behind me....), but it vibrates like a 25 cent motel bed, and nothing about riding that bike can be called comfortable, although I have done a cross country ride on it with an Airhawk. On the other hand, it is very light and even I can fix it, plus the torque is pretty impressive.

My question is whether the 400 will be enough for 70 mph interstate rides, or is the 650 going to be a better answer? The one thing I really dislike about my Savage is that it will do highway speeds, but it is mostly wide open, and that buzzing, deranged lawn mower feeling is no fun. Speed is not necessarily the big thing, but I'd sure like a sense that the pistons weren't about to explode out of the top of the engine.

Any wisdom is welcome....

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
welcome caruso. dog - that isnt good!
everything about the 400 or 650 (at their worst) won't subjugate you to that sort of pain - except for the motel bed thing...uh... :wink: HAY - STOP! It's just a bed! :D

The 400 rides gee-reat at 70. It'll go quite a bit faster too! The 650 has 50% throttle left.

Gosh - given what you've shared I'd say - Get one adesso and leave that heaving hunk behind!

Cheese - this is easy! :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I ride a Burgman 650, and I'm a big fan of that model. But we have Burgman 400 owners that are almost vicious in their devotion to that model as well. :shock:

I think I can say that the AN400 would be a nice step up from what you are riding. The AN650 is even nicer. Aw geez, I can hear a couple of those 400 owners growling already... :lol:

Seriously, I think you'd be fine with either. With the 650 I can cruise at 80 mph and still leap ahead to pass a truck. With a 400 you can cruise at 80 also. It just doesn't have the same omph in reserve for passing, although you can coax it up to 95 or so from what I hear.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
For quick runs to the store the 400 is king, For 100 miles runs on the interstate at 70 it is hard to beat.
Based on what you are saying, I think the 400 will do very well for you.

Needless to say the 650 will do it also, but in this case it may be more machine then you need. 8)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
caruso81 said:
...I'm not big enough or rich enough to go all the way to a Gold Wing...
If you're big enough and rich enough for the 650, I'd say go for it. Since it's currently the biggest, baddest, most expensive scooter with the most whiz-bang features out there, you won't be wishing you'd got something "more" after a few trips.

On the other hand, from a strictly practical standpoint, the 400 will do almost everything the 650 will, and you'll save some bucks. Never a bad thing.

I'd say either one will make you happy. Of course, since I ride a 650 I'd also say it's "the best of the best" choice.

If all else fails, get whichever one is in stock in the color you like. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
To add to the above, neither the 400 nor the 650 will have the vibration you are experiencing with the Savage 650. As to which one, it depends on your size, physical ability, and the amount of money you want to spend. Both will cruise the highways at the speed you indicated.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Go directly to the 650 if you have the budget for it. Both are great machine at 70 MPH, but the 650 is still a great ride at 85 MPH and two up it is more able for touring. Both are two of the best scooter on the market, so either way you can not go wrong. SALUT. Jaype.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Mr Vicious here :lol: Well you knew I would say this but......

If you physically fit on a 400 (6 foot or less preferably) - it will do all you need and save you wads of cash.

The 650 will do it all and more with some in reserve but at more cost.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I ride my 400 at 70 most of the time. It doesn't have a lot of reserve yet reserve is there. It's more like a car passing at 70 than a bike but it will still pass. As others said, your size/weight/what you can afford/riding ability/etc. and I'd add the terrain you will be riding (hills or flats?) to the mix.
I've put over 5K miles on my 400 in less than 3 months and I'm still happy.

·
Registered
296 Posts
As others have already told you, the 400 will cruise effortlessly at 70 mph with another 25 mph left in reserve, if you need it. Even at top speed it runs smooth and does not buzz or rattle. The 650 is 120 pounds heaver and has more power and torque, so performs better at higher highway speeds.

The 400 is easier to ride in town because of the lower weight and lower seat height (2.1 inches). They both have the same strorage capacity and wheelbase (62.6 vs 62.8). The 400 will get you about 15 mpg better milage and a few more miles range from a tank of gas. However, if you are pushing the 400 hard (80 mph or more), your milage goes down a bit.

If you do mixed driving (city & Highway) then the 400 will probably do everything you want and save you about two grand. If you plan to do a lot of highway travel with a passenger, then get a 650. The extra weight of the 650 also makes the scooter more stable in a cross wind, if you have a lot of wind where you ride. Also the 650 would be better on steep mountain roads if you are two up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts