Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noted that the Burgman was a little slow off the mark in Power mode... Thinking it was time to change the air filter, I found a mess... A mouse had built a nest to winter in on top of the air filter... 3 hours later, I got all the tupperware off and cleaned out the mess. None went into the intake box, though some scraps were in the connecting tube. There WILL be a wire screen covering that opening... I'd recommend it to any climate that hibernates rodents.

Reactions: gec343

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Critters got into the engine bay of my 650, chewed up the wire harness real good. The bike wouldn't start. Took me a month to figure it out.

Beware of those little teeth. :D

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
You are fortunate that they didn't build the nest inside the CVT . I saw one where they did , the CVT was stuffed with nesting material that looked like insulation bits . The baby mice urinated in the nest and the urine destroyed both pulley faces with corrosion . One inmate here had an acorn or acorns basically total his bike .

TheReaper!

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Reactions: gec343 and Dave_J

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
<<<SNIP>>> One inmate here had an acorn or acorns basically total his bike .

TheReaper!
Awe nuts! :crying
When I did the first service on my second 2008 at 305 miles I found the air filter full of cherry pits and POOP. The problem is the intake is above the filter element and the outlet is below so when you pull the air filter, everything loose above falls DOWN into the air box and throttle bodies.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
I learned of another method when I bought a fold down (pop-up) camper. Fellow campers would use Irish Spring bar soap of drier sheets. I also used them in the intake openings of winter stored vehicles. The little critters, even spiders, find them both repulsive. In the camper and cars I put half a bar of Irish Spring in a small containers from the delicatessen with holes punched in the lids. The drier sheets can be just placed near openings.
Unfortunately this didn't work for my truck. They ate the wiring harness for the multi-port fuel injection.

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
I learned of another method when I bought a fold down (pop-up) camper. Fellow campers would use Irish Spring bar soap of drier sheets. I also used them in the intake openings of winter stored vehicles. The little critters, even spiders, find them both repulsive. In the camper and cars I put half a bar of Irish Spring in a small containers from the delicatessen with holes punched in the lids. The drier sheets can be just placed near openings.
Unfortunately this didn't work for my truck. They ate the wiring harness for the multi-port fuel injection.
Manley, Yes. But those must have been lady mice and they liked it too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noted that the Burgman was a little slow off the mark in Power mode... Thinking it was time to change the air filter, I found a mess... A mouse had built a nest to winter in on top of the air filter... 3 hours later, I got all the tupperware off and cleaned out the mess. None went into the intake box, though some scraps were in the connecting tube. There WILL be a wire screen covering that opening... I'd recommend it to any climate that hibernates rodents.
Had the same problem. Just removed the filter and all the nest came with it - I think. They had even chewed the filter material

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just typed in Suzuki Burgman 650 mouse in the CVT and found this thread. So, I'm not the only one that had this problem! This Spring, I finally broke down and spent about $450.00 on new tires before inspection, and on the way home noted that the motor was revving but the bike was losing power. Had a friend check it out and he told me it was the CVT sensor. $550.00 later, it didn't fix the problem. Sent it to a bike shop who told me it was the clutches, but when they test drove it, it still revved up. When they checked the air filter, it was full of bird seed and poop. The mechanic tried to blow the debris out, and did get some, but not all. Only way to be sure would be to drop the engine and transmission to get at the CVT belt assembly. Accessibility was never a consideration when they built the 650 Burgman, because the CVT belt was supposedly a "lifetime belt". That would have cost me another $2000.00, on top of the $1250.00 I already owed them for the new clutches (a few were indeed burnt out, probably because the CVT belt must have jammed of with all the crap around it). I could tell that they weren't really keen of doing the tear down job, so I gave them there $1250.00, loaded it on my trailer and took it back home. The little bugger had gotten in through the exhaust port on the CVT chamber. Once I got all the plastics off the right side and could get at it, I felt birdseed as soon as I stuck my finger in. I attached a small hose to my ShopVac and shoved it in the exhaust port. Didn't really get much, so I took out the CVT sensor, and tried from that angle. Minor sucess. Finally, I attached the small hose to the end of a blow gun on my compressor and blew air from both the CVT sensor port AND the exhaust port. Managed to blow quite a bit out, but I had no way of knowing if I got it all, so I ordered an inspection camera with a small scope on the end. Hoping to get a look inside once it gets here. I don't want to risk moving it again until I'm confident that it's all gone and pray that it didn't do permanent damage to the CVT belt. Fingers crossed. It's a 2007 Suzuki Burgman Executive, and between what I paid for it, and the money I have spent on it, I'm into it for over $5300.00. No way I want to spend another 2 grand dropping the motor and transmission, but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do the job myself. Between a rock and a hard place!!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle brake

·
Administrator
23,637 Posts
I had trapped lint on my refrigarator that I could not get to the insides of the cooling fins. I made a box around the back side and put my shop vac in a hole. Then from the front I used compressed air on a long thin 1/4 inch plastic tube to blast lint off the fins. The Vac kept negitive pressure so the lent got sucked back.

LeDude has a set of drawings for "Rodent Motel", one for the air filter box and one for the CVT exit port. 1/8 inch square metal screening works.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Just typed in Suzuki Burgman 650 mouse in the CVT and found this thread. So, I'm not the only one that had this problem! This Spring, I finally broke down and spent about $450.00 on new tires before inspection, and on the way home noted that the motor was revving but the bike was losing power. Had a friend check it out and he told me it was the CVT sensor. $550.00 later, it didn't fix the problem. Sent it to a bike shop who told me it was the clutches, but when they test drove it, it still revved up. When they checked the air filter, it was full of bird seed and poop. The mechanic tried to blow the debris out, and did get some, but not all. Only way to be sure would be to drop the engine and transmission to get at the CVT belt assembly. Accessibility was never a consideration when they built the 650 Burgman, because the CVT belt was supposedly a "lifetime belt". That would have cost me another $2000.00, on top of the $1250.00 I already owed them for the new clutches (a few were indeed burnt out, probably because the CVT belt must have jammed of with all the crap around it). I could tell that they weren't really keen of doing the tear down job, so I gave them there $1250.00, loaded it on my trailer and took it back home. The little bugger had gotten in through the exhaust port on the CVT chamber. Once I got all the plastics off the right side and could get at it, I felt birdseed as soon as I stuck my finger in. I attached a small hose to my ShopVac and shoved it in the exhaust port. Didn't really get much, so I took out the CVT sensor, and tried from that angle. Minor sucess. Finally, I attached the small hose to the end of a blow gun on my compressor and blew air from both the CVT sensor port AND the exhaust port. Managed to blow quite a bit out, but I had no way of knowing if I got it all, so I ordered an inspection camera with a small scope on the end. Hoping to get a look inside once it gets here. I don't want to risk moving it again until I'm confident that it's all gone and pray that it didn't do permanent damage to the CVT belt. Fingers crossed. It's a 2007 Suzuki Burgman Executive, and between what I paid for it, and the money I have spent on it, I'm into it for over $5300.00. No way I want to spend another 2 grand dropping the motor and transmission, but I'm not mechanically inclined enough to do the job myself. Between a rock and a hard place!! View attachment 101140
Paragraphs are nice. I can’t make it through your entire post.Sorry. Not trying to be be mean, But… $450 scooter tires?
$550 CVT sensor?
$1,250 clutch plate replacement?
Any self respecting mechanic would at least Google the Burgman, and see easily, for free, if the CVT was slipping, it would throw a speed ratio error.
I’ll now respectfully,..pardon myself from this one.

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts
He added in the cost of refreshing beverages consumed in the local tavern while the work was being done, (and maybe the tavern wenches tips as well )

·
Premium Member
15,251 Posts
Tires:

Well, for reference purposes for the rest of you, I spent a lot of money on tires, too. I don't have lifts, jacks, etc., or the inclination, so I don't remove wheels beforehand, and I let the dealer do all the work, and I guess I pay through the nose.

Here are two receipts for the most recent tires (last year) I had installed on my now-sold Exec. Here's the tire order, $283:
Font Material property Parallel Number Rectangle

And here's the installation receipt, $238 labor:
Font Parallel Number Document Rectangle

So that's $521, plus tax, which is more than the "about $450" that @Milo listed in post #12, above.

Paragraphs:

I'm certainly with @Charbroil (post #15, above) regarding paragraphs. Text without breaks is akin to a huge run-on sentence: not very pleasant for someone trying to read the whole thing.

I'd go even farther -- see what I just did here? -- in that I think the insertion of blank lines, i.e., a couple of presses of the Return key, make the reading even easier. And a reminder to all that a lot of forum reading occurs on phones these days, so paragraphs should be a lot shorter than in the old days of term papers and suchlike, given the limited screen space of the phones.

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts
Tires:

Well, for reference purposes for the rest of you, I spent a lot of money on tires, too. I don't have lifts, jacks, etc., or the inclination, so I don't remove wheels beforehand, and I let the dealer do all the work, and I guess I pay through the nose.

Here are two receipts for the most recent tires (last year) I had installed on my now-sold Exec. Here's the tire order, $283:
View attachment 101158

View attachment 101159

So that's $521, plus tax, which is more than the "about $450" that @Milo listed in post #12, above.

Paragraphs:

I'm certainly with @Charbroil (post #15, above) regarding paragraphs. Text without breaks is akin to a huge run-on sentence: not very pleasant for someone trying to read the whole thing.

I'd go even farther -- see what I just did here? -- in that I think the insertion of blank lines, i.e., a couple of presses of the Return key, make the reading even easier. And a reminder to all that a lot of forum reading occurs on phones these days, so paragraphs should be a lot shorter than in the old days of term papers and suchlike, given the limited screen space of the phones.
Tires:

View attachment 101158

View attachment 101159

Paragraphs:

now you gonna want people too use the correct spelling of the word two to!:) and brake the habit of breaking with both hands,

·
Premium Member
15,251 Posts
now you gonna want people too use the correct spelling of the word two to!:) and brake the habit of breaking with both hands,
Yeppers, what yew said, them thangs, also.

• Haha
Reactions: mikeyMarine
1 - 20 of 21 Posts