Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's easy... at least for a Magellan Meridian. Magellan makes a simple (swivle/tilt) mount for their GPS's The power cord snaps into the back...and just plug into the power plug inside the glovebox... I mounted mine right over the Burgman logo between the bars. Easy to read, the only thing I had to modify was the male end of the power cord. I replaced it with one that alowed the cord to exit to the side...otherwise you could not close the glovebox door. That is a tight spot for shure... and one of the black marks against the Burger. I mounted a second power plug in the trunk for charging all my gadgets. Here's a link to the photo of my GPS.
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/suzuki_burgman/lst?&.dir=/&.src=gr&.begin=65&.view=t&.order=&.done=http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/suzuki_burgman/lst?&.dir=/&.src=gr&.view=t

·
Registered
394 Posts
RAM mount on a 650

In spring of 2003, I installed a RAM mount for a Garmin eMap on my Burgman 650. I have found it stable and easy to position for optimum viewing while riding. Since I mounted it in the center of the handle bars, the flaring and windscreen protect it from the weather quite efficiently too. Come spring, when I uncover my scoot, I'll take some photos of the mounting to share with the group.

The RAM mount hardware I used to have a GPS on my Burgman 650 is one each of the following: an eMap cradle (RAM-HOL-GA4) about $10, a plastic Diamond Base (RAP-B-238U) about $6, a metal Diamond Plate (RAM-B-238U) about $9, and a 5.25” Double Socket Arm (RAM-B-201U-C) about $30.

I also picked up from my local True Value Hardware store the appropriate bolts, nuts, and washers, since the RAM came with none of these. In choosing bolts, nuts and washers, I made sure to get lock washers, 1” fender washers, along with acorn cap nuts all in stainless steel. Add to this 1” rubber fender washers and a waterproof tent patch kit. This came to about $5 worth of materials.

While I hate putting holes in my scoot, it was necessary for this install, but I was able to minimize it. The mounting location I chose was the plastic handle bar cover where the Burgman logo is located. This is an easy to remove and replace part, so it was easy to remove it to drill the holes and it will be easy to replace should I ever want to sell the Burgie without the GPS mount.

The mounting plate went on the far left side, just under where the handle bars go up. This is a nearly flat location that is also out of the way for times when I ride without the GPS. As previously stated, I removed this front piece of the cover, measured twice and drilled the holes once. On the underside, I used the rubber fender washers, then the steel fender washers, then lock washers, and the bolts themselves. On the top, came a custom rubber gasket I made by cutting a piece of the tent patching material, then came the metal Diamond Plate, and finally the acorn cap nuts. The metal plate and the metal fender washers make the configuration very stable, while the rubber gasket and fender washers absorb some vibration while in motion and protect the plastic of the handle bar covers from being cut by the metal of the plate and steel fender washers. The acorn caps cover the bolt completely giving a nice finished, plus keeping you from getting snagged on an exposed bolt end.

The end result is an unobtrusive mount.

The longer than standard arm is a plus for giving more positions for the GPS and bring it further up into your field of vision. I ride with it angled so the GPS is centered between the handle bars. Easy to look at, easy to reach to push the buttons, and well protected from the elements behind the windshield.

Like I said, come spring I’ll uncover the scoot and take some pics to show how it looks. Until then, for some GPS info links, pop over to the Minn-Max yahoogroup links area; go to the Accessories section, then the GPS Receivers folder.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Minn-Max/links

Be well, ride safe, and keep on Scoot’n!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts