Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I want to do this. Is there any way to do so without cutting the plastic over the handlebars, or otherwise hacking the bike?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Universal X-mount on a ball.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am absolutely totally unwilling to even CONSIDER permanently wiring anything up on my Burgman under any circumstances. I have the 12V plug, it will have to be enough.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>I use these brake reservoir covers from Motorcycle Larry. Two screws and you're done and then just use the appropriate RAM mount for the model of GPS you have.<<

I'll second that!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I am absolutely totally unwilling to even CONSIDER permanently wiring anything up on my Burgman under any circumstances. I have the 12V plug, it will have to be enough.
Whatever dude. it's your bike. I was just trying to be helpful.

But the 12v plug is not the most convenient or reliable source of power. For instance, the Garmin plug is too long to close glove box door. So you'll need some sort of adaptor or a small USB Power plug. The USB type often put the Garmin into computer paring mode, which takes 3-4 times longer to boot. Not convenient when you're riding on the highway, your off ramp is coming up and the power kicks off Because the plug lost contact for a millisecond.

But whatever floats your boat. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You underestimate my total, complete, and utter incompetence. I'm not willing to risk it. If that means I can't use a GPS...then it does, so be it. The probable alternative (having to pay someone to fix what I will screw up) is worse.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
You underestimate my total, complete, and utter incompetence. I'm not willing to risk it. If that means I can't use a GPS...then it does, so be it. The probable alternative (having to pay someone to fix what I will screw up) is worse.
You're welcome to take a look at my GPS setup if you want to take a ride out to Amherst sometime. It's totally "non permanent"! :cool:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If that's the Smartphone it looks like...won't work. I need a standalone GPS because the new "update" means I cannot use the nav on my phone anymore!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're welcome to take a look at my GPS setup if you want to take a ride out to Amherst sometime. It's totally "non permanent"! :cool:
Sure...though not for a few days. My Burg is at RJ's getting the top box installed.

Check your PM's, please.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
So...I want to do this. Is there any way to do so without cutting the plastic over the handlebars, or otherwise hacking the bike?
One way to do it is to get some 3/4" double-sided velcro cargo straps (fuzzy on one side, prickly on the other). Two loops of this can be threaded through the gap between the front and rear handlebar covers, looped around the rear cover and connected to themselves. This can be used as the basis of an attachment system.

The handebar covers are very easy to remove to thread the velcro loops through, once you know how. And once you have the rear cover off, it's obvious where the velcro loops will go. I don't have pictures handy at the moment, but I can post some if needed.

The only real problem with this is that there's a bit of flex in the rear handlebar cover. It's not usually an issue, but if you want a totally rigid mount for your device, or you're mounting something big and heavy like a 8" tablet, this won't be it without some additional bracing..

And as for drawing power from the glovebox cigarette lighter, if you have a device that takes USB power, there are "flat" (ribbon cable) USB->microUSB cables that can fit through the gap in the glovebox door.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Jar, I am also incompetent..I bought a GPS from Twisted Throttle.. then rode down I-95 to their location South of Providence. They have a good installer there.. He cut my plastic and did a good job of it, in the middle if my handlebars..

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If that's the Smartphone it looks like...won't work. I need a standalone GPS because the new "update" means I cannot use the nav on my phone anymore!
It doesn't matter what you put in the case, a GPS or phone. As long as it fits. He's just showing you an armband case that needs no fancy installation.

This would work great for someone that doesn't want to install ANYTHING.

You can keep your gps charged before your trip, use it on battery power and charge in the glovebox when not in use.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't have a GPS yet. It's not that I don't want to install anything...but my total incompetence in all things means that any attempt to do so will fail utterly.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I run the wire from the cigarette lighter receptacle out of the glove box through the battery door. I haven't bothered to fix the stripped screw that holds the battery door tightly closed so there is a gap there that enables a wire to squeeze through it to the under-fairing area where the wire can be threaded through the steering well and then up through the steering wheel cover to the left side brake oil reservoir. When not in use I simply aim the connector tip down into a space in the cover. Not the best solution as the tip corrodes after a year or two. The Burger get wet quite often but I ride all year in the NE and do not usually cover it, so with any garaging or seasonal riding your connector wire should last much longer if not indefinitely.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Why not? The update shouldn't have broken the GPS; it might have messed up the Navigation app though (try looking for the Maps app instead of Navigation, as Google renamed it -- it still does pretty much the same things it used to).

Even if you no longer have a usable Navigation app, you can download the CoPilot Premium app. Based on your phone, you do have a memory card slot (it's under the back cover with the battery) -- get a 4GB or 8GB card, as they're pretty inexpensive these days. And the CoPilot app has the ability to store its maps on the memory card instead of in the phone's memory (the app asks during installation) so it won't take up internal space you may need for other apps.
[Caution: I suspect you don't have a large data plan; if so, ONLY download the maps over a WiFi connection, NOT the phone's cellular data connection or you'll blow through your monthly data allocation!]

Anyhow. The easiest setup has to be the armband holder suggested by MacDoc. That's where I'd start if I wanted a foolproof way to do it (it's not as handy to use as some other options, but installing it is simple).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
You can keep your gps charged before your trip, use it on battery power and charge in the glovebox when not in use.
To a degree. I've found GPS sucks the juice pretty quickly. My iPhone 4s was so bad, I would always plug it in, even for local jaunts. While I have significantly better battery with my iPhone 6, using on battery only is something I wouldn't rely on for any significant time/distance (over an hour or so).

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why not? The update shouldn't have broken the GPS; it might have messed up the Navigation app though (try looking for the Maps app instead of Navigation, as Google renamed it -- it still does pretty much the same things it used to).
The new version is "offline", and requires downloading a gigantic map file that requires about five times as much room as I actually have available.

Even if you no longer have a usable Navigation app, you can download the CoPilot Premium app. Based on your phone, you do have a memory card slot (it's under the back cover with the battery) -- get a 4GB or 8GB card, as they're pretty inexpensive these days. And the CoPilot app has the ability to store its maps on the memory card instead of in the phone's memory (the app asks during installation) so it won't take up internal space you may need for other apps.
[Caution: I suspect you don't have a large data plan; if so, ONLY download the maps over a WiFi connection, NOT the phone's cellular data connection or you'll blow through your monthly data allocation!]
Then I wouldn't be able to play music while using the GPS. (And honestly, I question how well my old phone would run the new program at all.)

Anyhow. The easiest setup has to be the armband holder suggested by MacDoc. That's where I'd start if I wanted a foolproof way to do it (it's not as handy to use as some other options, but installing it is simple).
It doesn't look like the GPS I plan to get (Garmin 52M) will fit...at least, not with the charger plugged in. I'm considering the MC cover mount.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts