Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm having the 400 v 650 debate in my head and at the risk of beating a dead horse I'm going to ask this question...

Has anyone ridden a Burgman 400 through any of the major US mountain passes (Rockies, Sierras, Cascades, etc?)

If so, were you able to maintain highway speeds (70mph?)

(Riding solo, small amount of luggage)

Thanks! Brian

·
Registered
466 Posts
I've no problem with the smaller mountains around Los Angeles. When I'm two up and it get's really steep and windy about 55 is about it. The 400 is like a small car and it can get a little weezy if you let your speed drop. I never feel like I'm going too slow just a little slower than what I'm used to going on my big bike.

Thanx
Russ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any specific roads around LA - I'm familiar with the area. What I'm trying to determine is if I want to ride across the Cascades on I-90, will I be able to keep up. The I-90 pass is similar to I-5 N out of LA (by 6 flags) - but not everyone is driving 85!

Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
On our 11,00 trip this summer we came home across the Rockies, Idaho and Montana on Interstate 90. NO PROBLEMS with Angel's Burgy runing at interstate speeds. Also, the compression breaking seemed to work great on the downhills. :lol:

·
Registered
466 Posts
The 400 is very much like a little car, you can go 65 up the hill but if someone pulls out in front of you and you slow down to 40 it takes awhile to get back up to speed. That's with two big people, when I'm riding by myself the performance is just fine, it goes along better than I thought. I only had one time when I thought I needed a little more and I was two up on a VERY steep/long hill and a car pulled out in front of me and just about stopped. It climbed slowly back up to 45 but I was thinking a down shift would have been nice. The cars behind me didn't pass but they were waiting for me to get going again.

Thanx
Russ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's what I wanted to hear. I'm pretty sure I would rather have the smaller bike (cost, weight, mileage, etc, etc, etc) but I wanted to make sure I was still going to be able to take it where I wanted to.

Thanks! Brian

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Brian,

Not sure this will help but may give you a frame of reference. My Burgman 400 does slightly better than my '94 Ford Ranger (4 cylinder) on the foothills here in Tennessee.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmm..... Gonna be riding the Blue Ridge Parkway here in the mountains of NC this weekend with my scooter club. I'll let you know how things work out this weekend.......

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Hey Brian, welcome to the forum. :hello2:

ripcurl187 said:
...What I'm trying to determine is if I want to ride across the Cascades on I-90, will I be able to keep up. The I-90 pass is similar to I-5 N out of LA (by 6 flags) - but not everyone is driving 85!
I've made two trips to Spokane on my 650; once on US-2 both ways, and once on I-90 there and US-2 coming back.

I-90 was so easy on the 650 (and the Harleys, Goldwings, etc. that were with me) that I can't imagine any serious trouble on the 400. You may not be able to do it at half-throttle as I could, but you should be able to make it. (Just keep an eye on your temperature gauge.)

Even the climb from North Bend to Snoqualamie Summit isn't that steep, and on any major upgrades there are slow vehicle lanes to move into if you can't maintain 70.

Stevens Pass would be another matter. There are some steeper spots near Leavenworth and at the summit that I don't know how well the 400 would do. Hopefully someone who has actually done it (or is willing to make a test ride soon) will respond.

Anyway, good luck with your choice. (I won't ry to influence you in the direction of the Better Burgman. :D )

Maybe I'll see you on the road, sometime. 8)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bill Trammell said:
On our 11,00 trip this summer we came home across the Rockies, Idaho and Montana on Interstate 90. NO PROBLEMS with Angel's Burgy runing at interstate speeds. Also, the compression breaking seemed to work great on the downhills. :lol:

Bill

It is so good to read an objective report (coupled with real experience) on the 400s' capabilities.

Your post will be a comfort to many who are in a purchasing quandry as to the ability of a 400 to cut the mustard on the Interstate.

Regards

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
NormanB said:
It is so good to read an objective report (coupled with real experience) on the 400s' capabilities.

Your post will be a comfort to many who are in a purchasing quandry as to the ability of a 400 to cut the mustard on the Interstate.
Norman,

If I remember correcly, Angel rides a 650 not a 400.

·
Registered
822 Posts
ripcurl187 said:
Hi everyone! I'm having the 400 v 650 debate in my head and at the risk of beating a dead horse I'm going to ask this question...

Has anyone ridden a Burgman 400 through any of the major US mountain passes (Rockies, Sierras, Cascades, etc?)

If so, were you able to maintain highway speeds (70mph?)

(Riding solo, small amount of luggage)

Thanks! Brian
I've ridden through the Santa Monica Mountains and the Santa Susana Mountains 2-up at highway speeds on my 650... does that count?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
billmeek said:
NormanB said:

Norman,

If I remember correcly, Angel rides a 650 not a 400.
Of course you are quite correct Bill, it is in Bill Trammels's signature!

You are supposed to be feeling groggy!! :wink:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Maybe just not as groggy as you. How many pints ya had mate? :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
billmeek said:
Maybe just not as groggy as you. How many pints ya had mate? :lol:
The sun ain't even over the yardarm yet! (Hic!) :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts