Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Motorola talk-about- radios with the mic/earphone from motorola in the VOX mode either rider to passinger or bike to bike, and how do they work at 60 mph or so?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have, using the throat mic system with the single ear phone. They work so so. First, the ear phone isn't that comfortable long term and it tends to dislodge or fall out of the ear with the helmet on. Next, the wind sometimes causes the mic to open. We added the PTT (push to talk) aux. button and it helped. Positioning of the throat mic takes time to get right too. The little ear bud/hanging mic didn't work at all.

Depending on what you want to spend there are several helmet specific set-ups for motorcycle use. We just purchased the AUTOCOM which is highly rated up to 150 mph. It is used on the race tracks. They have 3 or 4 systems depending on what you want to use on the bike ie: radio, MP3, radar det., bike-to-bike radio, cellular phone, etc. They do sell a version just for bike-to-bike.

http://www.autocomamerica.com/docs/home.cfm

There are a few other companies that offer similar set-ups, but this brand is supposed to be the best at higher speeds.

Mac SURE if you use the Motorola radios that you get the Motorola lenght jacks. They are different than the industry standard. The first set-up I wrote of was purchased part by part at Bass Pro Shop. They sell all of the Motorola add-ons. If you go with Autocom they sell a specific connector for Motorola radios.

Janine

·
Registered
247 Posts
I tried using the Motorola FRS radios for bike to car communication. Bought the Motorola Vox headset and mic. Worked great - as long as you were at a stop sign. As soon as my speed went over 30 the VOX transmission triggered and would not stop transmitting. Even with the full face windshield down the same thing happened. Gave up and returned the headset to point of purchase. Haven't tried anything since.

·
Registered
689 Posts
This past summer I was able to use a set of Fire Fox throat mic with the Motorola slk talk-about-radios and I was very impressed with the sound quality and ease of use. The only problem I found was that the ear bud did not fit well and yes on a long distance ride it would be on comfortable but I have also seen other brands that has different ear bud that fit a lot better. The best thing I found using a throat mike was no mater how fast I was going (went up to 80mph) with wind I did not have to shout for the other bike rider to hear me or he did not complain about wind noise coming through while I was talking. Now if we can just get some wireless and or blue tooth so there will not have to be any wires that we will forget to disconnect when getting off the bike it sure would be a wonderful thing, as I have destroyed two set of ear buds and plugs from my Garmin GPS when I forget to disconnect before I dismount.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts