Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the next cool thing for all "connected" scooter riders; a helmet with attached Bluetooth-enabled headset.

A version of the headset for retrofit to other helmets should also be available soon.

See a write-up and video demos here: http://www.slashphone.com/11/897.html

The demo is nice, but the scooter isn't a Burgman. Oh well, it's still a cool video with a surprise (to me, anyway) ending.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I saw this is one of my motorcycle magazines last month. I love the concept, but don't like the helmet. I may purchase the headset when it is available for other helmets. But do I really want to use my cell phone while riding, especially after trash talking cell phone users on a previous thread? :D

·
Registered
848 Posts
Let's see if we can make motorcycle riders pay as little attention to the road as the cell phone using cagers we love to complain about. Just because a person has two hands on the bars does not mean they are aware of the traffic around them. In my mind it is just a very, very bad idea.

edited to add an 'is'

·
Registered
689 Posts
There is already bluetooth headset on the market that are small that goes under the helmet, I have been using one from last summer. What we need is a bluetooth headset that will work with two way radios.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
burg650 said:
What we need is a bluetooth headset that will work with two way radios.
It's not Bluetooth, but in my previous occupation we had a similar device; a small (hearing aid sized) wireless receiver that would fit in one ear, coupled to a wired mic near our throat (which would even work under clothing). The mic went into a VOX (Voice Operated Switch) box that connected to our radios -- several different radio models would work with the setup, so we could choose the best combination of size/range/frequency for our needs.

They're pretty pricey, but it's nice not having wires dangling from your head all the time.

The main problem is that, unlike cell phones, two-way radios aren't (usually) full duplex. They're either half duplex or simplex; you either need a push-to-talk switch or a VOX. That all adds complexity.

As far as using phones or radios while riding; I think the safety issue depends a lot on the rider. I don't have a cell phone now, but I may get one. I don't chat on the phone, using it only to make plans to meet people, call for information, access needed services, etc. It would be the same if I were riding.

I think it would be handy, but there is a potential for abuse. On the other hand, can all those who ride with a passenger tell me that they always ride in total silence, ignoring their passenger whenever the bike is in motion so they can give 100% concentration to their riding? I don't think so. Safety is an attitude as much as anything else; a cellphone -- like a two-way radio, music system, passenger, etc. -- is just one more POTENTIAL distraction that needs to be handled responsibly.

·
Registered
689 Posts
What you are talking about is a throat mike which works well to block out wind noise while doing 75mph but as you said they still have to be plugged into a radio which you can have in your pocket but still have a wire running from under your helmet or from you neck to the radio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts