Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of us probably know, there are a number of organizations in the United States whose primary purpose is as a lobbying group to address the various levels of government on the “Rights” of motorcyclists. Leaving out of the discussion for the moment whether certain aspects of motorcycling is a right or a privilege. Does anyone else have a problem is supporting these organizations because you don’t believe everything that they advocate is in the best interest of the motorcycling community?

I ask this, as I do believe that the way our government works, lobbying agencies are an effective means to advocate the protection of certain liberties and to effect changes in the law. However, I have yet to find a motorcycling oriented lobbying group where I agree with everything on their agenda. (This is also true of political parties in this country, but that is a discussion for another website.)

Using as just one example a recently posted link on this site to the Motorcycle Riders Foundation, the MRF advocate a number of issues I do support:
  • Fighting the reduction in spending of rider safety programs.[/*:m:3hqk0a8p]
  • Ensuring that motorcycle accident health coverage is considered similarly with auto accident health coverage.[/*:m:3hqk0a8p]
  • Promoting legislation for greater inclusion of motorcycling as part of government transportation planning.[/*:m:3hqk0a8p]
However, there are others issues that the MRF support with which I am at odds:
  • Attempting to alter EPA emissions control standards to reduce pollution from motorcycles.[/*:m:3hqk0a8p]
  • Restricting the federal government’s ability to act on issues of motorcycle safety.[/*:m:3hqk0a8p]
I’m not trying to open a discussion on the individual issues here. I am earnestly trying to find a lobbying group I can wholeheartedly support and to see if others have a similar dilemma.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
794 Posts
AMA # 740740

I've been an AMA (American Motorcyclists Association) member for years. See their website at http://www.ama-cycle.org/ . I find they ably represent/lobby for all of us who prefer 2 wheels to 4. Membership is only $39/year and that includes a subscription to their monthly magazine. Multi-year memberships are also available to save you money. There are member discounts on all sorts of motorcycle related items. AMA has been around for years and they've been instrumental in protecitng our rights both locally and nationally.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
minnmax wrote
I’m not trying to open a discussion on the individual issues here. I am earnestly trying to find a lobbying group I can wholeheartedly support and to see if others have a similar dilemma.

I believe the best you can hope to do is find a group that supports your primary concerns and except the secondary issues with a grain a salt.
Getting 100 people to agree on an issue would be hard -1000 near imposable .
Factor in a lot of people have different priorities.
-I think you maybe asking the imposable

1 - 3 of 3 Posts