Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I'm now just weeks away from a brand new Burgman 650.
(It's taken a while to talk the wife into another upgrade.) :lol:
I'm also looking at buying a trailer from classic industries here in Australia.
Can anyone give me any advice on what it's like to tow a trailer on a bike.
How is the ride different ect.

All input is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Welcome to BurgmanUSA!

One of our members, Jac Vinson, has worked with motorcycle trailers before. He has also designed a nice hitch for the Burgman 650, which I believe he will be marketing shortly (along with his other Burgman accessories). From what I understand, it will install without any drilling of holes or other modifications to the scooter. If he doesn't see this post and respond, you might want to send him a PM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul.

Still wondering if anyone else has towed a trailer before?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Still wondering if anyone else has towed a trailer before?
Well, not a Burgman, but we did tow a trailer for a lot years behind our Suzuki 1000E back in the early 80's (before kids). It was the only way to go if you needed to haul camping gear for a month long trip. We carried a lot of stuff with us and it stayed nice & dry in some monsterous downpours in the Rocky Mountains.

If I were in the market for a Gold Wing, I would definitely buy another trailer, but I am not too sure that a Burgy 650 would have the power to tow adequately - at least not two up.

I never had a problem towing the trailer, except you had to remember to compensate for longer stopping distances because of the increased weight (trailer did not have built-in brakes). Had to do a few panic stops to keep from hitting animals at night, but never had the trailer do anything weird on me in those situations. I think the secret is in the hitch and how it's connected to the bike. Mine was quite rigid, so there was no flexing - hardly knew it was there while cruising.

If you do decide to trailer, buy a good one and make sure it's attached securely to the bike.

As for me now, at 54, I'd rather stay in hotel than camp. :D

Hope this helps you.

Reg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks vdfcaptain

Thanks for the info.
I'll have to see if I can test drive with a trailer before
I purchase. I go camping a bit up on a freinds property
and I havn't been able to convince him to build a motel yet
so it looks like I'll be camping for a while.

The website is http://www.classicind.com.au
I was looking at buying the entry level trailer.
Only weighs 80kg and I believe you can add brakes.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'll have to see if I can test drive with a trailer before
I purchase.
Also see if you can find other people in your area that trailer. You can valuable information from them, especially from the long distance folks.

I believe you can add brakes.
Brakes are definitely a great idea and worth the money. My trailer was custom made and didn't have them, but if I were to trailer again, they would be on the top of my list.

Our friend's tent trailer had brakes and he would have crashed into a big Black Bear one very dark moonless night in Jasper National Park, if it weren't for good headlights, and the braking power of his trailer.

For us, one of the great benefits of trailering was the ability to carry lots of camping gear - including a propane tank, stove & lattern.

Plus our own pillows. :sleepy2:

Reg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that.

I havn't seen to many trailers in the area but I might give Classic
a ring and see how many they have sold.
I just wish the Burgman could pull their camping trailer.

Our friend's tent trailer had brakes and he would have crashed into a big Black Bear
Would have made for one happy bear :shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts