Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the forums for a few weeks now. A casual observation seems to indicate that most owners are either new to riding or moving from one scooter to another.

I'm considering going motorcycle to scooter. Here are some reasons. I've been riding about 35 years including dirtbikes in my youth. Did lots of touring all over the country. Used motorcycle for commuting and running errands. My touring days are pretty much over. Been there done that. Since I mostly ride MC's with bags, I'm accustomed to having carrying capacity available. Gotta run those errands. That is why I'm looking at the big scooters. Most of my riding now is just for that evening ride with my wife on the back or running to the hardware store. Seems the scooter would be the perfect choice.

How many owners have gone from MC to Scooter? I like shifting and 3rd gear putting around the back roads. Do you have regrets go to scooter? Has anyone gone MC, Scooter and back to MC? I'm not real fond of automatic cars so I'm concerned about an automatic two wheeler.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Well, 1st welcome,

I have a simular background, but me and my wife still like to tour. I can honestly say, the only negitive I can see at this time, is the smaller wheels. On a good road the are NO issues with the ride. on rougher (or poorer gravel) roads, the ride is not as good as a standard motorcycle.

The automatic is nice, (almost too easy) and the only problem I had was getting used to was, no clutch. It took about a day. There are more tranny options on the 650 than the 400, but both work well, espically in the twisties. You will need to feather the rear brake, as if it's a clutch, for walking speed manuvering. At times I wish I had a manual, but it's no real issue.

Storage is great, what else can you say.

Power, there is plenty for touring 2-up @ highway speeds (80+ indicated) on the 650. 60+ on the 400 (2-up).

I have about 12,000 miles now with no problems.

I use tires quicker that some others (don't know why).
Rears 5,500 miles.
Front about 12,000 miles

·
Registered
806 Posts
I went from Motorcycles to scooters, and I do put on over 10K miles a year.

The only thing a conventional motorcycle can do better than a comparible scooter is, in some cases, straight line wide open acceleration. That is the ONLY thing I can think of.

I have the 400. I get over 60MPG, over 65 if I ride with some sense, run 75-80MPH on the interstate, carry all of my "crap" with me, love the indash storage, easy handling at both low and high speed, and the overall package.

I believe it was Randy that bought a Burgman but kept his BMW for touring. After a few months, he got rid of the BMW and just used the Burgman. On the interstate, the Burgman 400 is as stable as either one of my full sized dressers. The only difference is it does respond much MUCH easier to input from the handlebars. To the unfamilier, this can be a weird feeling, not having the two big wheels and excess "upper" weight determining where the bike goes.

But go for it. I have yet to see anyone say "****, I hate this thing, where's my conventional motorcycle." You fall in love.

Oh, before you ask...400 0r 650. If the majority of your time is spent 2-up, get the 650. If not, the 400 will do anything you want. However, if you like performance, again, the 650 will not disappoint.

Both bikes are pretty much the same size and you can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the forum Mike.

I've been riding motorcycles and scooters for many years now. Scooters were always my "second" bike because I needed the extra power, comfort and carrying capacity that a motorcycle would provide. With my 650 Burgman, that's no longer the case. I had a HD Elctraglide Ultra Classic when I got this scooter. The Harley was sold within 3 months and I haven't missed it a bit. Both the scooter and the trike in my Avatar are automatic which I prefer. If you absolutely have to shift for yourself, get the 650 and use it in manual mode.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I went from a MC to a Scooter to a MC. I can't wait for the day I can go back to a scooter. I like riding my current bike but I sure miss the ease of the scooter and the storage of the scooter. The largest saddlebags available for my sportster and the helmet won't fit in them. The scooter to me was more comfortable than my sportster. The sportster is more comfortable than the Volusia but my rump still longs for the scooter.
I don't really like shifting. I think trying to pay attention to clutch, downshift, brake with hand and foot are just too much for me to handle while trying to avoid the hazards out there. I enjoyed riding more when I didn't have to shift. Now I feel like I am just doing a lot of work to go riding. :?
You should try to find one to test ride.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I have about 12 years riding on motorcycles, just got the K5 yesterday so not much experience on it yet (100 mi). It felt weird not having the clutch but I got use to that quickly. Closed throttle slowdown is strange because the clutch does not release until you are below 10 mph so you end up using the throttle to control speed as you coast to a stop. All in all I think you have more control with a clutch but the auto is more convenient, especially in heavy traffic.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I sold my Kawi Nomad (1500 cc tourer) earlier this month and bought a 650. After almost 1500 miles, I am tickled :) My wife rode a Kawi Vulcan Classic. We went into hock and bought her a 650 a week after I got mine and she gets her 600 mile tune-up tomorrow morning.

Nothing but grins. :lol: Almost too much fun and all the power we need.

Nan is a home health RN. She makes rounds on her scoot, carrying about 50# of stock, plus her computer. She can fit all of that under the seat, instead of spread between 2 saddlebags, a lazyrider, and a rear rack. Her Givi E52 will arrive next Tuesday (we already have the mount in place) and that will give her a place for personal belongings :D

When we travelled before, I carried most of the "stuff" because the Nomad had such large bags and was 1500cc vs 800cc for the Classic. At least for a while, she'll have the larger capacity and I should be able to keep up with her, even though we're on the same size bikes. (Taller and heavier equates to slower on the same bike :evil: )

3 weeks isn't exactly time for an in-depth analysis, but we're content.

Anybody want to buy a beautiful cruiser/tourer? Vulcan Classic

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm also considering a scooter, mikerides. I've been motorcycling for 35 years. My current bike is a Yamaha FZ1 (998 CC, 140 HP, under 500 LBS, 45 MPG, regular 87 octane, 26,000 miles for first valve adjustment and all subsequent valve adjustments). I'm having a problem making a case for the scooter, in logical comparative terms. I do think they are cool rides though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
CYCLE OR SCOOTER

HI ALL I have been on cycles for a little over 40 years. Went from a 1000 LTD Kaw to a 650 burg and do miss the power off an on but over all I'm
very happy I made the switch. The Burg has more room for my wife[ride
two up 80 persent of the time] More protection- rode Kaw to 50 deg and now ride in low 40's. Plenty of storange and leg room for adjustment and movement.Kaw 34 to the gal [ bore kit and smooth bores] Burg low 43-high 51 avg=47/8. Now have over 6300 on 2003 - drove Kaw 1000 a year
and like much more then cycle. Lots of Harley's in Mansfield - still feel
a little like scooter trash------they just don't talk to me when they catch up-------------don't understand. GOOD LUCK WHICH EVER WAY YOU GO[CYCLE OR SCOOTER]

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Mike,

I've been riding Motorcycles for about 40 years. Owned 17 of them. I now have over 19,000 miles on my Burgman 650. Sold my Suzuki V-Strom 1000 this year (I just wasn't riding it much). No regrets. The AN650 ecvt automatic works better than you can possibly believe. Although it does have a manual mode, I rarely use it. When I do use manual mode, it is not because I need to. Suzuki could remove manual mode and I wouldn't miss it. The auto provides plenty of engine braking too, which I like because I was used to downshifting a motorcycle when coming to a stop. The 400 has a more conventional scooter cvt transmission. Fewer options and less engine braking. I have never ridden a 400, but the folks who have them have not found much fault with the tranny. A few have installed aftermarket variator units to enhance accelleration. With the 650, that sort of modification isn't necessary - you just push the power mode button when you want lower overall gearing. I find power mode quite useful when riding the twisties. It is still automatic - just with lower overall gearing. Very few Burgman buyers have gone back to motorcycles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. Originally I was considering keeping the ST1300 and buying a 400 or 650 in addition too. Did a New England tour a few days ago. Beeing on the open road brought back some great memories, but I really don't miss touring too much. Now I'm considering trading it for a Burgy.

Mike

·
Registered
350 Posts
Beeing on the open road brought back some great memories, but I really don't miss touring too much. Now I'm considering trading it for a Burgy

Mike, this quote sounds like you're giving up touring. If that's what you want, fine but trading your ST1300 on a Burgie doesn't mean you have to give it up. You can ride back and forth cross country till your hearts content, maybe better on the 650 than the 400 but either one you will love from the first mile marker you pass.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Buzz said:
Mike, this quote sounds like you're giving up touring. If that's what you want, fine but trading your ST1300 on a Burgie doesn't mean you have to give it up. You can ride back and forth cross country till your hearts content, maybe better on the 650 than the 400 but either one you will love from the first mile marker you pass.
I totally agree. I've put some 500 mile days on my 650 and really didn't feel as tired at the end of the day as I would have on my previous sport touring motorcycles. Most of my tours are about 1000 mile round trips, with a few days of recreational riding at the destination. I'm more limited by my wallet (lodging, meals, etc) than by the capabilities of the AN650. We do have several forum members who have done much longer tours.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
He may have other reasons like yours, Pauljo. In his first post (which may have been missed?).. Mikerides wrote:
My touring days are pretty much over. Been there done that.
Of course, a 650 is an excellent bike for touring and I feel even my AN400K3 would handle touring just fine as long as we aren't talking touring on very rough roads. Gotta love the versatility of the Burgmans! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
pauljo said:
Buzz said:
I totally agree. I've put some 500 mile days on my 650 and really didn't feel as tired at the end of the day as I would have on my previous sport touring motorcycles. Most of my tours are about 1000 mile round trips, with a few days of recreational riding at the destination. I'm more limited by my wallet (lodging, meals, etc) than by the capabilities of the AN650. We do have several forum members who have done much longer tours.
Sorry, but that's not what I want it for. If I wanted to do more touring, I'd keep the ST.

Mike

·
Registered
409 Posts
Mike:

In 2003 I had a Yamaha Ventrue and a 600S Suzuki Bandit. I bought the Burgman and sold the Venture. Do not miss it at all. I ride the Burgman twice as much as the Bandit. Truly, there isn't anything the Burgman wil not do. It is a great city bike, country road bike and highway bike. In fact, it is far more stable on the highway than the Venture was.

I added a clearview shield, corbin seat and GIVI E52. It is complete.

Going back and forth between the urgman and Bandit poses no problems.

Next Spring I will attempt to upgrade the suspension and put on a Leo Vince exhaust.l

·
Registered
605 Posts
Everyone here sounds like a clone of me. I think I'm hearing lots of people trading their bigger bikes and other models for the comfort of the scooter. The 650 is an amazingly capable vehicle and everyone I talk to (who own bigger bikes) I can't say enough good praise for the 650. I have done a 600 mile days and I may as well did it in a automobile. You know, its like someone asking is taking a bite of a chocolate donut going to be enjoyable. They gotta take the bite themselves.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just returned from the dealer. The salesman tried to talk me out of buying a scooter. He's said, in his experience, people who buy one always go back to motorcycles. Interesting that a salesperson would try to NOT make a sale.

Mike

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Salesman must be secretly rich to talk you out of a sale.
Find another dealer. I personally can't wait until I can get another scooter.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The margins on scooters are small. He wants to sell you a much more expensive motorcycle, so he gets a fatter commission check. Rather narrow thinking, IMHO, since some of a little is better than none of a lot!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts