Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of test did you have to take, if any, to ride a scooter in your state/province/country?

For any who would like to see what Washington's test is like, click this link:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/mcmanual.htm

There's a link to a PDF version (Adobe Acrobat format) of the Washington Motorcycle Manual.

On pages 75 - 78 the test is shown. No mention of the actual measurements though.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I assume you are referring to a 50cc or larger,( no license needed for smaller) and it would be the same test as for a motorcycle at least here in Texas.
I took the MSF course so I got my license without going to the DMV (DPS down here)
:)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the Newbie Questions forum:
M&M said:
In the Georgia exam you will be required to take off and climb to 15 MPH then stop before crossing a line, but you can't apply the brakes until they signal you. They give you about 10 feet to stop. They also make you turn left or right and avoid the same line, but you can't start turning until they signal you. Before those test they make you drive between two lines about 3 feet apart and turn left and right and then stop before crossing a line. I passed the test on my scooter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
got my Georgia learners permit

I finally gave up and went and stood in line for 2 hours at the local DMV and then waited another 30 minutes to take a 15 minute test on a computer for my learners.

I want to go for the full test ASAP but I need more practice. I need my full license because my wife wants to go for a ride! Of course, if we got busted by a local cop, she might be able to talk our way out of a ticket since she is the Mayor. That wouldn't do much good if it was the Georgia State Patrol, though. ;-)

Anyway, a friend told me about an office in Covington that is fully equipped to give the test and, supposedly, you don't even need an appointment. He said they were very friendly and let him re-do one section that he made a small mistake on. Anyway, the best part about this location (if it's true) is that almost nobody goes there so there is virtually no waiting. All you North Georgia riders should check this out but keep our little secret. I'll give a report if I get a chance to go there.

I really doubt that I'm fully prepared to pass right now, though. I plan to take an MSF course as soon as I can get into one - even if I already have my license by then.

Al

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: got my Georgia learners permit

Brian said:
What kind of test did you have to take, if any, to ride a scooter in your state/province/country?
Al Davison said:
I finally gave up and went and stood in line for 2 hours at the local DMV and then waited another 30 minutes to take a 15 minute test on a computer for my learners.
Thanks Al.

What kinds of questions were on the computer test?

After you've taken your riding test can you return here and tell us about it? I assume it will be the same as what M&M posted, but sometimes there are variations on a theme from place to place even within the same state.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts

Al Davison said:
I want to go for the full test ASAP but I need more practice. I need my full license because my wife wants to go for a ride!
Hey Al, just a word of advice. Don't be in a hurry to take the Mayor for a ride. As a novice, you've still got a lot to learn on the street even after you get your M/C endorsement. Even those of us with years of experience are still learning every time we ride.
Like the rest of us, you have accepted the risks involved operating a bike on public roads. However, if your lovely wife is like 99% of the people who may want to ride on the back of a motorcycle, they really aren't aware all of the risks involved, especially with a new (inexperienced) rider. And, unfortunately, most new riders don't know what they don't know and are anxious to show off their new bike and riding skills.
Most non-riders assume that, because you have a M/C endorsement, you must be a highly skilled and experienced rider and are willing to ride with you. They are willing to trust you and that is a big responsibility for any rider to assume.
I hate to sound like an old fart but, be patient and get some experience on the road by yourself before risking someone else's life and limb. Most MSF instructors will generally recommend a new rider get a year's experience before carrying passengers. Of course this varies with riders but, just be honest with yourself because only you know your real skill level. You'll know when you're ready. :D
Don

·
Registered
103 Posts
written test

the questions were very basic - write out of the manual. I was a bit surprised about seeing the two questions about how many drinks you could have in what period of time. I got one question wrong but I could almost swear that I answered the way it was stated in the book. Since GA allows you to get 5 wrong before they fail you, I decided that it wasn't worth arguing over.

They ask about how to select which part of the lane to ride in, what to do if you have a flat tire, how to pass safely, whether you should use both brakes at the same time (duh!), simple stuff like that. But, you should definitely study the state manual because you have to answer according to what is in the manual - not common sense or what you think you know about riding from experience. So, even if you disagree with something in the manual, you better know the "party line".

Hope that helps.
Al

·
Registered
103 Posts
good advice!

Don't worry about sounding like an old fart - you are correct in every way. Overestimating one's skill and/or underestimating the risks is how folks get hurt doing almost anything. I would hate to scratch up the Mayor by running out of talent!

Al

·
Registered
6 Posts

Al Davison said:
I want to go for the full test ASAP but I need more practice.
Hi, Al. I have two words for you: EDGE TRAPS! Learn about and watch for edge traps. I've been riding for 24 years now and even so, I almost dumped my VFR 800 at 10 mph on a neighborhood street because I didn't notice the edge trap. There's lots to learn more than that, of course, but you don't hear much about edge traps when they're telling you about lane placement, cars turning left in front of you, etc. I think edge traps are one of the biggest dangers yet you don't hear much about them.

Here is edge trap info from "Proficient Motorcycling" in Motorcycle Consumer News:

EDGE TRAPS
Although we don’t know of any statistics
to prove it, edge traps may be the most
hazardous work zone hazard. An edge trap
is any raised pavement edge or groove running
parallel to the lane direction. For
instance, when a lane is repaved, the edge of
the new paving is raised several inches
higher than the old paving. That raised edge
can be out in the traffic lane. If you allow
your front tire to ease up to a raised edge,
it’s very likely you will lose control and go
down. We call it an “edge trap” because it
tends to capture your front tire and trap you
into a fall. Once your tire is trapped by the
raised edge, it’s almost impossible to avoid
a spill.
Almost all construction zones will have
edge traps. The most common ones are
where lanes are being repaved. Even prior
to the repaving, edge traps are created when
the old asphalt paving is ground away.
Raised edges are created at the sides of the
gouged-away areas. Some edge traps are
not so obvious as a gouged away or repaved
lane. It’s common to spread gravel next to
paving to fill in a section being repaired and
reduce the height of the raised edge. But
loose gravel several inches deep next to a
hard pavement edge doesn’t prevent a
motorcycle from falling. Narrow motorcycle
tires tend to plow through gravel and be
captured by the edge of the pavement.

(end quote)

It doesn't sound like a big deal, but truly, it's a genuine danger that you should learn about very early in your riding. Imagine how I would have felt dropping my showroom-condition VFR at 10 mph in the middle of a straight street! I had read about edge traps before that but I REALLY respect them now. And it wasn't a construction zone, either, just a regular concrete street with a slight edge on the crown where they split the two sides.

Other than that, I think my biggest learnings in motorcycling have been to set the proper entrance speed to a turn, and know how to use your front brake like your life depends on it--because it does. Your rear brake is almost useless in a panic stop...but you should use it anyway! You didn't ask for advice so I'll stop at these few unsolicited comments.

I hope you will love riding and stay safe. Over 24 years riding now, and I've never been down, so don't believe that tripe about "there are two kinds of bikers..." Plenty of people ride for their whole lives without ever going down. Although that edge trap almost spoiled it for me! That's why I wanted to post this message. It's not just the easy, big stuff that can do you in, you have to watch for the sneaky stuff, too, like edge traps and tar snakes. Happy riding!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Edge Traps

Great tip, regarding edge traps I could not agree more. Two weeks ago I low sided on my 650 Burger to the tune of $3500.00 to repair ( Glad it was insured) I survived with minor scratches thanks to my gear I always wear. I was making a left turn at about 15 mph, and the tire was "trapped" in the well where the two roads joined. The Scoot went down like I had dropped it. Be warned! :roll:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thanks for the edge trap warning. First time its been brought up on this forum and it is useful info to everyone that rides.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

irunamok said:
I have two words for you: EDGE TRAPS! Learn about and watch for edge traps.
I've taken the liberty of copying your excellent post to the "Safety" forum.

Thanks for sharing this.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: edge traps

TWEETYPI58 said:
Thank you for those helpful tips, lots of paving going on around my area, will keep an eye peeled :) Diana
Yep. Very bad here too. They keep tearing up road all over town - and never complete the work on stuff they've torn up earlier. It's getting tiresome - and dangerous. There have already been several fatalities (cars/trucks/pedestrians) in these construction zones. Somebody needs to be called on the carpet soon. The TV channels keep showing vast stretches of torn up road - with no workers in sight, but the politicians and contractors keep wriggling around the issue. One local TV reporter was struck by a car and killed a few weeks ago when filming one of the construction zones where motor vehicle fatalities had occurred the prior week. There are a few people making a ton of money at the expense of people's lives. That should be treated as a criminal offense in my opinion.

·
Registered
103 Posts
first attempt - keep your fingers crossed for me

OK, I'm scheduled to take the road test today at 3:30pm. I figure I've got about a 50/50 chance of passing it on this first try. I don't mind if I don't because I'll at least know what I need to work on for the next try. Anyway, I'm going to the "secret" place I wrote about in other posts and it's about an hour away and a very pleasant ride. Whether I pass or not, my scoot will be ready for the 600 mile service when I get back. So, today will be at least one milestone and, with luck, two of them!

Be thinking about me and sending me BurgmanUSA energy around 3:30pm EST.

Thanks!

Al

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Good luck Al. I'm sure you do fine.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I passed!

Piece of cake! In fact, it's almost scary that the test is so easy - to think that a 16-year old could get a license for a Ducati 900 or a full-dress Goldwing after that little cheeseball test does not bear thinking of.... :D

Take heart all you who may fear the Georgia test - if you can get out of your driveway without dropping your bike, you'll pass!

But, thanks for all the support, guys!

Al

1 - 20 of 24 Posts