Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motorcycle Safety Protective gear in action.
Friendly remainder ATGATT.

dedicated to those who ride bare hand with flip flops.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
That looked so predictable and unnecessary, it got me thinking was this a stunt?
The roll out looked pretty professional.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, he pulled a stunt.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Even though this may be a stunt I personally know what it is like to go down both with and without motorcycle clothing on. I think I will choose with now should things happen again.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was on my way home from work this morning, when I saw a rider low-side in a left-hand turn coming away from a stop light right in front of me. He was wearing a Scorpion EXO-400 helmet which remained as pristine as the day he bought it and a pair of leather gloves, but was otherwise dressed in street clothes. He didn't break anything and was up instantly, pushing his bike out of a busy intersection, but had pretty bad road rash on his left side. Nine HCSO cruisers and a fire truck were there within three minutes, and I hung around for an hour while they did the paperwork. The firemen took the time to duct-tape the tupperware on his Kawasaki crotch-rocket so it wouldn't fall apart more. I didn't actually SEE the accident, since he was blocked by traffic, but I hung around for moral support and every single one of the cops commented on the ATGATT I was wearing. Situations like this are exactly why I wear it. It worked exceptionally well for me when I had an unexpected get-off a couple of years ago. I wish he'd been wearing it, but he was WAY more concerned about how his girlfriend would be react - ah, youth!

Thanks for the video, Fernando! It was definitely a stunt, Norm. How many real-world accidents get filmed in slo-mo from two angles?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@ChipDoc thanks for sharing your experience with us. when I hit the road i try to wear all leather.

For city commuting, now in summer here, I use only my Dainese AirFrame jacket, and I'm getting the backprotector for it, on its way its the Dainese New Air Drake pants, those will complete my riding gear for summer. I'm better safe than sorry.

I used to ride MTB years ago, and crashed really bad lot of times, broke few helmets and bones but nothing major thanks to the protections.

It's been nice to see how motorcycle gear has reached MTB/downhill world or viceversa, there is way more protective gear now than 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A friend of mine was the US National Champion cross-country bicycle racer about 20 years ago. His idea of safety equipment was shoes. Things sure have changed in that arena, and I'm glad to see it.

I used to be a leather guy and still have plenty of it. But these days I'm a textile kinda guy. Leather is just too hot during the 9-month-long summer we have in Florida. I've now got several flow-through jackets and pants, though with temperatures dropping into the low 40s I've got the nice warm liners zipped into everything. I switched from leather about 8 or 9 years ago and I've never been disappointed. I've had unexpected get-offs wearing both kinds of gear and was able to walk away.

Up here I hear a common saying, "It's not WHAT you ride, it's THAT you ride." I think it's much the same with ATGATT - it's not which gear you wear, it's that you wear the gear.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
After sewing my face up as a teen from wearing no helmet or gloves and flip-flops while face planting on asphalt......I always wear a helmet, gloves and boots/shoes at the very minimum.
Here is a good staged wreck my buddy did to promote Rhok Jeans: :cool:
http://youtu.be/rm5rqLm8mmE

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After sewing my face up as a teen from wearing no helmet or gloves and flip-flops while face planting on asphalt......I always wear a helmet, gloves and boots/shoes at the very minimum.
Here is a good staged wreck my buddy did to promote Rhok Jeans: :cool:
http://youtu.be/rm5rqLm8mmE
oh I'm glad he's OK, looks like It was due to target fixation, can't see other reason there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts