Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw post or two about getting through the DMV "test" that many of us have to go through. Here's my input.

I completed a military-sponsored skills/knowlege class back when I was riding in Cali. (about a zillion years ago) - it satisfied (if memory serves) the California testing requirements.

But now, many, many years later, I had to take the written and skills test throught the Florida DMV. The written was simple. An example of the written is provided through the FL DMV web site, and all you have to do is study it before you go to take it. I missed 1 out of like 27 questions.

The skills test though... A - I passed it on the first try. B - is moronic. C. - is tricky.

The "cone weave" is the most difficult part because it seems as though they have it set up for a circus monkey on a mini bike. The other parts of the "test" are just as useless (but simple enough). I guess it really isn't any different than "qualifying" someone to pilot a cage huh?

It was funny that the lady "inspector" that was observing me got so excited that i was able to "jockey" the big burg when I got a bit lost in the cone weave thing. She said - "Man! it looks like you were just floating there in suspended animation!" (Power-braking - whatta concept! 8) I told her that I used to do bicycle trials work and it was something I learned how to do a long time ago...

Anyhow, you were "afforded" 9 points off before you flunked. I got 3 points off for the cone weave thing. I was glad that there was a person on a crotch rocket ahead of me so that I could watch the whole thing before my turn came up (they failed...foot dob: 3 points, stall: 3 points, missed cone weave: 3 points --- boink your outta here!!) poor guy.

So - beware of the cone weave and study the lesson guide (or try doing some standing-on-the-floorboards trial riding to get past that?!)

Just an FYI.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I don't see why anyone would take that test -It is worth nothing , and accomplish less..
I understand sometimes money or time is at odds with the MSF course but at least there you get basic bike handling people who can answer your questions and best of all you walk into the DMV take the written and get your license no driving test... :)

Not to mention like the guy on the bike ahead of you - if he can't pass the DMV test he really needs to take the MSF course for his own (and everyone else's ) benefit :)

·
Registered
497 Posts
I found the MSF course to be very very helpful and enjoyable.
This may be due to my lack of experience and novice skill levels.
Nevertheless, my class also included skilled, longtime riders that found the course to be beneficial for their needs.
Here in Albuquerque we are afforded 20 points. I barely passed with 17.
I made every mistake there was to make, with one exception...
I didn't drop the bike! That event I saved for my friends BMW R1130GS while celebrating my new liscense. :oops:

·
Registered
14 Posts
California DMV requirements

Yes, you can take the DMV skills test on a 150cc motorcycle. Whether it is a scooter or a motorcycle doesn't matter. California Vehicle Code section 400 defines a "Motorcycle" as any two wheel vehilce with a seat, handlebars and weighing less than 1500 pounds.

CVC section 405 defines a "Motor-driven cycle" as a motorcycle with an engine displacement of less than 150cc's. But in California a Class M1 is required for either vehicle. A class M2 is for a motorized bicycle or moped.

So, in California you can take the test on a 150cc scooter and then go buy a Gold Wing. Doesn't make sense but there it is.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts