Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a good article in the Feb '05 issue of MCN in the "Proficient Motorcycling" section entitled "Balancing Act". It covers all of the forces envolved that affect motorcycle stability.
It explains how the wheel's gyroscopic force helps to keep the bike upright and resists leaning it over. It gives a real good explaination of countersteering (push/press left - go left, etc) and why a bike has to lean to turn. The article covers body steering and why countersteering is more efficient and accurate. It really gives a good and understandable explaination of a lot of items that we have discussed in prior posts.
There's also a feature article on Harry Hurt (author of the "Hurt Report" that all MSF students are familiar with) and his opinions on current helmet technology. Bottom line - "the plain old DOT helmet that you can get for 70 - 80 bucks is about as good as you can get. They just don't bring the rave reviews from your friends, but they are great protection". Interesting.

Don

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Too bad their website is a couple months behind (on purpose?) since I'd like to read that bit about helmets. I'm assuming they were speaking only of full-face helmets?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Don;
If you and others are interested in in learning some more of the finer points about motorcycling
then I would recommend you get a copy of David L.Hough - Proficient Motorcycling - all you mention and much much more is covered.
One of the books well worth the money :)

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
billmeek said:
I'm assuming they were speaking only of full-face helmets?
He doesn't single out any helmet style - only that it meet the DOT standards. The article does say that "there is no reason why the vaunted Snell certification should be preferred by motorcyclists over the more common DOT certification, although Snell uses more severe test impacts........If a helmet can pass DOT standards it can pass any set of standards antwhere in the world".
It does mention that, even though there are no legal standards yet for modular or system helmets, they must pass the same tests as full-faced helmets do except for a direct hit upwards from the bottom of the chin bar. They do test faceshields as well as chinstraps and fasteners.
It's an interesting (and lengthy) article and worth reading.
Don

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Don,

Is this a magazine and is it just MCN or does it have a name?

Janine :?:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Janine,

The mag is called 'Motorcycle Consumer News' and more information can be found at :

http://www.mcnews.com

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The way I understand it there are a few reasons way the Snell test is better then the Dot, theses have been listed many places and I believe them.
But there testing does not make a product (helmet) any better .
And there is no helmet I know of that has passed Dot and failed Snell .
As far as Any helmet will do, I agree if approved.
All approved helmets are the same in protection yes.
But not in fit, style, weight, composition , quality of parts.
So shop around, find one you like for what ever reason and buy it -use it -
And you have the same protection as the guy who likes the 500.00 helmet better.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Try again Rick. There was a trailing period that was causing the error in the link. It has been corrected in my post and in the quoted portion of your post.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
billmeek said:
Try again Rick. There was a trailing period that was causing the error in the link. It has been corrected in my post and in the quoted portion of your post.
Ahhh!
That's better.
Thanks Bill

·
Registered
719 Posts
Also, in the letters section of this months MCN, there is one from a guy who has a hip problem which makes it difficult to ride a moto with his legs around the gas tank. He asks for suggestions. The editor recommends a Burgman 650 or Silverwing.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I can relate to that suggestion Russell. Still can't stand to drive the truck more than 5 minutes but can ride the Burgman at least an 45 minutes before the hip starts complaining.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts