Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
20,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you add a forum topic to the "On the Road" sub-forum? A few members are requesting a "Travel Stop" topic be added. This is a place where all members that want to offer a rest stop to a motorcyclist on a trip for rest, maintenance and meet ups.

You could do this to all your forums. Thanks, DaveJ

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Under another post, I suggested a Google map with travel stops shown. A link to such a map would be a great thing to see in a "Travel Stop" forum topic section. Right now, members state if they are travel stops but, there is no reasonable way to search them out. A map would make it easy.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yes, please add this. It would be a great thing for Burgman riders.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
hey admin, we need this rocking feature! please!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Okay, I'll make this easy. I've created a map in Google Maps titled BUSA Travel Stops. I propose it will be viewable and editable by BUSA members only, accessed via a link which would be found in a sticky post under a new sub forum by the same name (BUSA Travel Stops) under the members-only Burgmanville forum. Right now, it shows only my house. Members will be able to drop a marker pin at their offered travel stop, and associate with it their BUSA user name. Members could quickly scan this US map for desired travel stops and PM the travel stop owners through the BUSA site to make arrangements. All this will require from BUSA admin is to create a BUSA Travel Stops sub forum under the Burgmanville forum! Once it is up, I will enter a post with the link imbedded and ask the post be made a sticky. Please do this soon, now, yesterday! Alternatively, the sub forum could be under the On the Road forum if, and only if the sub forum would be accessible only by members. Admin - Please respond to this!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with everyone here about the travel stops... Scooter_Maniac paved the way, so please (ADMIN) provide the means to make this happen.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Okay, I'll make this easy. I've created a map in Google Maps titled BUSA Travel Stops. I propose it will be viewable and editable by BUSA members only, accessed via a link which would be found in a sticky post under a new sub forum by the same name (BUSA Travel Stops) under the members-only Burgmanville forum. Right now, it shows only my house. Members will be able to drop a marker pin at their offered travel stop, and associate with it their BUSA user name. Members could quickly scan this US map for desired travel stops and PM the travel stop owners through the BUSA site to make arrangements. All this will require from BUSA admin is to create a BUSA Travel Stops sub forum under the Burgmanville forum! Once it is up, I will enter a post with the link imbedded and ask the post be made a sticky. Please do this soon, now, yesterday! Alternatively, the sub forum could be under the On the Road forum if, and only if the sub forum would be accessible only by members. Admin - Please respond to this!!!
Bump. Just hoping to keep this thread up until we see an Admin response.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Here is a answer I got
it's a good idea. My only concern is if the maps creator decides to discontinue the map, we have no control over that. The assumption is that Scooter_Maniac will have the map available indefinitely. What are your thoughts about this?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Here is a answer I got
it's a good idea. My only concern is if the maps creator decides to discontinue the map, we have no control over that. The assumption is that Scooter_Maniac will have the map available indefinitely. What are your thoughts about this?
Mike-
I think the map will be self-perpetuating once it's up. The members of BUSA will keep it updated. All members will have access with edit/save abilities. To that, there will have to be some trust that malicious information is not put on it. I don't see any way the map would cause me any problems at all, and certainly none that would make me want to discontinue it. If it came to that, I would instead "pass it on". I think it would be too great an asset to let it go away.

In the mean time, I've set up a map with three layers: Travel Stops, Recommended Stops (such as for site-seeing, recreation, rest, etc), Route/Road Comments

If, instead someone more closely associated with BUSA such as someone in Admin or an official Moderator wants to maintain the link on their account, that would also be fine.

Let's get 'er done!

·
Administrator
20,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a answer I got
Well, this is about the same if Cory or Ledude jumps ship, both knowledge bases will be lost.

So if not a map, just make a sticy topic on Travel Stop and let the map remain or the members can just add their names to a list.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Well, this is about the same if Cory or Ledude jumps ship, both knowledge bases will be lost.

So if not a map, just make a sticy topic on Travel Stop and let the map remain or the members can just add their names to a list.
I hope you're not suggesting we should not do this because it may one day be lost!

As for a list, a person would have to plot out many offered stops, looking up the location of any unfamiliar to the reader, then see what fits their intended route. With a map and a general idea of a desired route, picking out available stops would be literally a matter of seconds.

You're right on about a Travel Stop sticky and that's what I'd most like to see. However, while I'm not completely up on all the way Google Maps can be used, I had to create this under my Google account in order to save it. If I understand things, users would be able to access the map but, only by logging into their own Google account. If BUSA has a Google account, I expect a map can be created in association with that account but, I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if a person would still have to sign into a Google account to see the data or edit the map (add, move or remove their own travel stop places).

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Hopefully the Admins will make the folder in a members only area (we already have other folders as members only). We could then do something like the BMWMOA does, have a online "address and telephone" available to members. Make it voluntary, opt-in only as well. This way when someone is planning a trip they can route themselves using their own map so the have Travel Stops when they want. They also have access to the online posts so if they break down they can hopefully have a member with tools and such nearby. We don't need to make this over complicated. Use the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) - an old programming rule that applies here as well I feel.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
OK Team. I have now read this thread and have PM 'd the o/p.

Give me some manoeuvring room to get my head around this. I want to do the right thing for all concerned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts