1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chicken Burgers,

I am considering the front wheel trailer at:

http://www.motorcycletrailer.com/mag1/caddy1.html

1. Will this work on the Burgman 650? I have a tongue weight of 200 lbs... not mine but the car :)

2. How do you lift the front tire into it? I assume it lowers with a hand wrench.

3. Does the continual rolling the back-tire at highway speeds put undue stress on the transmission or gears?

Ciao,

Red

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Like pauljo said there is no neutral on a 650, I don't know for sure if it would damage the bike or not,
but I would be against it also just from the wear -& - tear point of view

·
Registered
137 Posts
Looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Besides, I wouldn't be able to drive for constantly looking back to make sure everything were alright with my bike. I'm headed to Branson, MO in a couple of days for Thanksgiving and would love to take my Burg but I'd hate to know I had to do it that way.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
If there are any North Carolinians that need to haul their Scoot, give me a holler. I have a commerial built single rail trailer with current tags avail for loan. Maybe a good deposit to insure return?

·
Registered
689 Posts
There is one something to consider and to look into. The mileage counter is connected to the rear wheel I believe so I wonder even if the engine is not running and you are spinning the rear wheels will it still keep a record of the miles while in motion or does the engine has to be turn on.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
burg650 wrote
I
wonder even if the engine is not running and you are spinning the rear wheels will it still keep a record of the miles while in motion or does the engine has to be turn on.
Good question, I would think since most odometers are mechanical and hooked to the trans. or rear wheel the answer is yes it will show. But I don't know for sure..

·
Registered
969 Posts
Weird. I don't agree with most of you. :shock:

When at idle, that is, less than 11 mph (on mine), the engine freewheels. I have found that when descending a hill, it will continue to freewheel, even though the speed goes well above 11 mph. I doubt if I've gone anything over 20 or so that way, but it's never caught until I twist the throttle. For that reason, towing might not be as hard on it as it might seem.

I also wonder if the mileage would be affected on our digital dash, without the key being turned on. :?:

Steve

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Steve wrote
When at idle, that is, less than 11 mph (on mine), the engine freewheels. I have found that when descending a hill, it will continue to freewheel,
What your saying is right except I am thinking speeds of 50 or 70 mph. At that kind of speed an auto. trans. will turn the engine if engaged and the CVT has no real natural, just a speed induced coupling .
Anyway that's my 2&1/2 cents worth :roll:

·
Registered
822 Posts
wasions said:
When at idle, that is, less than 11 mph (on mine), the engine freewheels. I have found that when descending a hill, it will continue to freewheel, even though the speed goes well above 11 mph. I doubt if I've gone anything over 20 or so that way, but it's never caught until I twist the throttle. For that reason, towing might not be as hard on it as it might seem.
Steve
We have some pretty steep hills here in Calif. I can tell you that the bike does NOT freewheel when going downhill! It will freewheel until about 17mph. Once past that, the CVT kicks in, the rear wheel screeches when that happens, your heart skips a beat or two, and then everything (bike and you) are back to normal within 1/2 a second... but the bike is engaged with the transmission at that point!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Cool!

I'm gonna have to try that. 8)

Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts