Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I get a letter from DMV stating that they cannot verify liability insurance on my 2011 Suzuki Motorcycle. I call DMV, provide all information with the exception of the NAIC number of my insurance company. I couldn't find the number on my policy, but I read her the name of my insurance company. She said no problem, she could figure it out. That's it? Yep. Good. A few days later, I get a second letter from DMV stating that GEICO denied that they provided Liability coverage for my motorcycle. Either have GEICO verify my coverage in a letter with their letter head, turn in my tags, or face consequences. Now I call GEICO and explain. We are now into the weekend, so my GEICO representative assures me that she will take care of it for me on Monday morning. So...Monday morning, the phone rings. DMV will not take care of this with GEICO, without me being on the call. Now, a three way call is attempted. After waiting for...well, quite a while, a lady representing DMV comes on line. GEICO lady explains and DMV lady asks her to allow me to talk and answer questions. DMV lady..."Is this a motorcycle or a motor scooter?". I try to explain that it is a BIG motor scooter, a 400. GEICO lady..."It's a motor scooter". DMV lady..."No it's not...it's a motorcycle!". I comment that it states "Motorcycle" on the title. GEICO lady..."Oh". So...more questions, I answer some, GEICO lady answers some...and finally, DMV lady directs GEICO lady to send a letter verifying my insurance on GEICO letterhead for the time in question. When I ask why this occurred, DMV lady said that it was probably because the dealership who did the registration for me, did not check the box indicating that I had coverage. GEICO lady tells me after DMV lady hangs up that it may also have been because the bike didn't have insurance on it until after it was registered. That is true...I bought the bike and couldn't pick it up for a few days, so the insurance went on it the day I picked it up...two days after the registration. Also, there was a problem with the NAIC code originally and DMV more than likely checked with the wrong part of GEICO...maybe the car division. Bottom line...what a hassle and I only hope and pray that everything is finally straightened out! So...I guess from now on I will say that I have a motorcycle as opposed to a motor scooter. From what I understand, a bike larger than 50cc in the state of Virginia is considered to be a motorcycle. Whew. I HATE dealing with DMV! The difference in attitudes between DMV lady and GEICO lady was quite noticeable! I have a headache just thinking about it! :confused:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I suspect it was a combination of the dealer not Xing the insurance box and you did not buy insurance prior to registering the bike. The scooter/motorcycle thing had nothing to do with it. I have worked with the DMV since 1966 in both the used car business and later for 31+ years as an insurance adjuster. It is a violation of VA law to register an uninsured vehicle unless you pay the UM fee which resulted in them checking with your insurance company. The inquiry would be if there was coverage on the day you registered the vehicle. The computer either says yes or no and in your case it would be no. In Virginia by law, you have to have insurance if you have a tag. It doesn't matter whether it is on a vehicle or if a vehicle is used. Otherwise, you are guilty of having an uninsured vehicle violation.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Virginia has always been that way. Up to 49cc is a scooter and DMV doesn't touch it. 50cc and up is a motorcycle, no matter what any manufacturer or dealer calls it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree, it had to be the lag (only 2 days) in insurance after registration. I have Geico insurance and my burg' is registered here in Stafford, VA. No issue at all. In fact, I was just about to call Geico to put insurance on the bike on hold for the winter, but temps will be out of the 20s for the next couple of days, so I'll wait for another week :D Wake up Roland, we're heading out of the garage today!! ^_^

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Aren't DMV's fun to work with. I had to smog my NEW diesel truck that is 50 state smog legal before I could get it registered. Reason was I bought it from out of state. I even had to show the DMV inspector where the 50 state smog legal sticker was. :sad1:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I agree, it had to be the lag (only 2 days) in insurance after registration. I have Geico insurance and my burg' is registered here in Stafford, VA. No issue at all. In fact, I was just about to call Geico to put insurance on the bike on hold for the winter, but temps will be out of the 20s for the next couple of days, so I'll wait for another week :D Wake up Roland, we're heading out of the garage today!! ^_^
I didn't think you could put insurance on hold since they changed the law several years ago. Prior to the law change, you could be in violation of the Uninsured Motorist law only if you were stopped while operating an uninsured vehicle. Now, you are guilty of an infraction by simply having current tags and they happen to randomly send you a request for insurance information.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow...I'm suddenly feeling like a criminal! I am a retired LEO and have always tried to do everything legally and above board. I understand that the fine for having an uninsured registered vehicle is quite substantial! Ignorance of the law is no excuse...but, REALLY!? Unvelievable.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I thought the VIN gave the DMV and insurance companies everything they needed to know to conduct their respective business.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I thought the VIN gave the DMV and insurance companies everything they needed to know to conduct their respective business.
It does. I think the problem is that the vehicle was registered before it was insured. When the DMV sends the VIN to the insurance company asking if it was insured on a certain date, the computer responded that is was not because it was insured 2 days later. Back in the days before everything was done by computer, a human could figure out the problem and resolve it but that does not happen in a computerized world.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Wow...I'm suddenly feeling like a criminal! I am a retired LEO and have always tried to do everything legally and above board. I understand that the fine for having an uninsured registered vehicle is quite substantial! Ignorance of the law is no excuse...but, REALLY!? Unvelievable.
Yeah, pretty stupid! Heck, I drop insurance on my scoot for the winter...why pay since I'm not riding the thing?!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I wish I could do that with my truck. Here in Florida you don't have to carry insurance on your motorcycle at all, but if you allow your auto insurance to lapse while still in possession of the vehicle, your license will be suspended.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Life is easy in Washington State. You can get a vehicle licensed without showing proof of insurance - and many don't bother with it - and there are no insurance requirements on two wheelers. While uninsured motorist isn't a requirement it isn't a good idea not to have it since you are SOL if someone wrecks you. Fines for no insurance is around $500 and the cops are writing tickets left and right for that. Cops and their bosses love the new 'visibility' laws - thats where they can visibly see you are or aren't wearing a seat belt or using a cell phone while driving. And if you don't have insurance when they pull you over they get a twofer.

I wish they'd link tabs to insurance here. No doubt it can be done easily in this day and age of connectedness. It would save me the money I pay for uninsured motorist insurance. I think the politicians and cops like the money being generated.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I wish I could do that with my truck. Here in Florida you don't have to carry insurance on your motorcycle at all, but if you allow your auto insurance to lapse while still in possession of the vehicle, your license will be suspended.
Actually you can have a vehicle without insurance on it but you can not have a current license plate on it. My 1965 Impala sat in my garage without insurance or tags on it for years. It probably would not be worth it to retag and reinsure a car or truck every time you wanted to drive it, unless like my station wagon you are not planning to drive it. Now my 1927 Model T and 1928 Model A have horseless carriage license plates on them that are good for life as long as I keep them insured. I keep antique car insurance on my 1964 station wagon, the T and A as the cost for all three of them is under $300 a year for full coverage. I haven't had tags on the station wagon since they doubled the cost a few years ago but the insurance is so cheap there is no point in dropping it. :)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well that's true, I could turn the plate in to DMV, but then I won't have the truck available should I need it all of a sudden. Changing the insurance status from Commuting to Pleasure dropped the cost by about a third, which helped a lot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts