Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago, I took my 2004 400 in for the 600 mile service. When I got it back, the motor noise seemed louder. Not in a mechanical, metallic sense, more in a compression, breathing type of noise. The louder noise is coming from the engine compartment and not from the exhaust. I am not a 100% sure it is now louder than before, but in a comparison to my riding buddy's 2003 400, my engine noise is noticeably louder. The bike runs fine and even feels a little stronger than my friend's 2003 400.

After reading the comments about the K&N filter replacement and how the engine noise changed, I decided to look at my air filter to see if it was the source of the increased noise. When I opened it up, everything appears to be where it should. However, the top of the air filter looked dusty on most of the surface with some small irregular areas of wet/oily looking spots. The lower surface of the filter has oil on it. My bike has 1,350 miles on it and I do not live in a dusty area. Also, there is a shiny, wet looking area in the bottom air box. It looks like oil. So here are my questions,

1) Any guesses on where the increased noise is coming from? More open (not oily) air filter? Was the filter cleaned but not fully oiled before it was replaced? Other ideas?
2) Is it normal to have oil, I assume from the air filter, in the air box?
3) If you cleaned your air filter frequently and do not live in a dusty area, is it necessary to have the filter oiled?

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Check the air box cover. On the bottom there is a aprox 3/8" black hose that should be there. When I owned a 400, the dealer did the 1st service work. I had the same problem, me and my son found this hose disconnected. The dealer must have had taken it off and never put it back. I think it goes from the crankcase to the air cleaner. With the hose off it almost sounded like an exaust leak at idle. Thats when I decided to do all the service work myself.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, thanks for the info. I took the air box off last night. I did not need to remove that tube when it can out, so you maybe correct. I have not cranked it yet. I also found the air filter in upside down, the wire retaining loop mounted in between the air box top and the the lower section instead on the top like it should have been, and, worst of all, they cross threaded one of the seat bracket bolts. So much for good service from the dealers. I am not going to dealers any more for service either, unless it is a major repair. While they maybe have knowledge of motorcycles in general, both dealers (650 and 400) I have used for scooter service appear to know little about Burgmans. They get the manual out and read it as they work. I should have known when the mechanic asked how to reset the oil change light.

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Yea it sucks when you can't trust the dealer to do a decent job. I had some of the teflon coated seat bolts and nuts replaced with standard ones. When I traded for the 650 I went to a different dealer, the origional dealer ask why, his price was the same? I told him service was the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts