Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Well, I have been riding my burg 650 now for about 5 months and decided to forgo the normal registry test for my Motocycle license and take the safety course instead. WOW that is a starters. It was the advanced course, had to have atleast 3,000 miles of riding. and it was awsome. I thought I was a good rider, and knew my bike. What I found out was that I was indeed a good rider, and really really learned what the burger 650 can do. there were cruisers there, goldwing, sorts bikes, a bmw and of course, the burger 650. I found that the burger stops faster than the other bikes, is better balanced, turns much easier and in tighter areas. I learned that swerving isnt a big deal on this bike, (although it was a huge deal on one of the curisers and the goldwing). I had a few of the people try it out, they were wondering about it. they all agreed. it handled better, moved quickly, stopped better than their bikes ever could. they loved the storage on it, glove compartments and all. the only thing they said that they would change would be their bikes to burgers. I learned so much at this course, not only about my bike, but about my riding. I think IMOO, that a safety course should be REQUIRED prior to any license is given. like drivers ed in schools. this is a must for all newbies and experienced drivers alike. had to share.... drive safe, drive carefully, drive with respect.

charles in Wilmington MA.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Sounds like you had a fun day that accomplished a lot. I agree, I think the course should be mandatory, and cheaper, (for beginners anyway).
You started out with the advanced course, you know how to ride and now you know a little more about your bike, sounds like a smart move to me.
Who knows, maybe we will pick up a few converts when they start thinking about the ride on your 650 :D

What should be mandatory is a motorcycle recognition picture as part of the eye test for cagers. :)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I intend on taking the advanced course also but decided, even though I have riding experience to take the beginner course (not because I do not have my Burgman yet but because I want to have a strong foundation on fundamentals, which I am glad I did.
I would suggest everyone take it (the basic course) and I would be willing to wager that even experienced riders (also) would learn a few things they could build upon and then the advanced course would simply strengthened all the skills and valuable knowledge already accumulated.
It is difficult to break bad habits and taking the basic course after not riding for a while (or even if riding concurrently) help us recognise and work on breaking them. Fortunately for me, i haven't been riding for a few years so I am basically wiping the slate clean and working from a good starting point again.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Brushing up on your skills

Just took the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Experience Riders Course this past Saturday. It had been three years and a month since I took the Basic Riders Course and the ERC was a great opportunity to refresh my skill set.

Unlike Charles in the original post of this thread, I deliberately took the course with an all Gold Wing group. This ensured a fairly quiet environment compared to one with cruisers and sports bikes. :wink:

While the Burgman certainly could out perform the GWs in the tight maneuvers, I will say I am darned impressed what these large touring machines could do in tight quarters in the hands of some of these folks from the Gold Wing Road Riders Association.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I'm in the beginner class next week. It's good to know that these classes are so highly regarded. I consider the cost a bargain, considering that the beginner class is 3 days, and they provide the bikes. Looking forward to a really good learning experience.
I've been keeping it pretty quiet on the scooter until I take the class. Just putting around the local streets.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Ours was 2 days. About 19 hours, most of that riding. Maybe 6 total hours of classroom (watching videos, doing the questions and taking the written test) with the rest all on the bikes. Mine was $165 and for what you get out of it I feel it's a bargain at twice the price.
Tomorrow is my big day to pick up my AN400K3 in Florida and ride it back to Texas and i'm rather excited about it. I do wish I knew the rods (potholes, etc.) better but since it's almost all interstate I'm fairly confident it will be a smooth ride (for the most part) and through some very pretty country I have never traversed before. :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
I called to get into the course in February and my class date is Jun 24th.
I'm pretty tempted just to go take the tests at the MVA and get it over with, but I think I should probably wait it out.
I've talked to guys that have been riding illegally for 20 years and they said that when they took the course (finally) they learned new things they never even knew about.

But our course schedule is 3 days. Fri-6pm-9pm
Sat & Sun 8:30am- 6:30pm
I'm dreading the saturday/sunday part. Oh well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
In Pennsylvania the course is free for residents -- or paid on the installment plan -- depending on your point of view. Your initial motorcycle permit and 4-year driver's license costs $10 more than for a car. The 4-year renewals cost $20 more than a car driver's license renewal ($5 per year). The state funds the MSF classes from those increased driver's license fees. Since the MSF course seems to be in the neighborhood of $150 in most other states, it looks like PA costs more if you ride for more than 30 years. Residents can take both the basic and advanced courses for "free".

I took the basic course and got my license last year. Then I bought the Burgman. The free course helped convince me that I really did want to ride. (Wouldn't it have been terrible to buy a motorcycle first, and then decide that you really didn't enjoy riding?) I want to take the advanced course sometime, but I thought I should get more experience first.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
In Minnesota, the MSF basic course is $115. We pay about $21 for a learners permit, and an additional fee every 4 years to renew the MC endorsement. So our state charges, but doesn't appear to apply the money to subsidize the MSF classes, unless somehow they are buying down the cost to $115.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Good stuff Charles. I agree. I need to get enrolled in that myself.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The best part of the course was for me to realize that I did not know as much as I thought and I did not ride as well as I thought.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Up here in The Republic of Ontario, Canada we pay $385.00 for the safety course and I pay $74.00 per year to renew my car licence plate stickers, plus about $900.00 per year for scoot insurance. :(

A Burg 650 lists for $11000.00, 12000.00 for the Exec model. :(

Oh yeah, and 15% tax on top for everything we buy too (7% GST and 8% PST). :roll:

Gas is the equivalent of $3.50 per US gal. up here as well. :x

And your dollar is worth more than ours is to start with!
:cry:

OK, done with the rant! :wink:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I see a Lake Erie circle tour in your future. You can come down and ride on our cheap $2.20/gallon gas. :wink: That is, if you can figure out our 'funny money'. We don't have Loonies and Twonies and such. Just a $1 Sacajawea coin that no one uses.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I have given that some thought frugality.
Touring all around the great lakes eventually. :)
What a goal!

Whenever I'm down there (did the NY Finger Lakes bus tour last year with a bunch of old people :wink: ), I wonder how often people hand over the wrong bill by mistake, since they are all the same colour.

I have to watch very closely when I'm spending those premium US dollars. :lol:

Our "Monopoly" money up here negates that problem. (unless you're (colour blind that is) :wink:

BTW, don't you have a coin the same size as our Looney called the SBA (Susan B Anthony)
I run a small string of vending machines up here, that I bought in Idaho, and they used the SBA to size the coin mechs.

Yeah, and now the Tooney. :roll: (Looney toons?)
If they ever bring out a fivey, we'll all have to start carrying purses, or our pants will fall down from the small change weight.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Well, if you do that Great Lakes circle tour, look me up over here on the shore of Lake Michigan. :) My Honda Hawk will be sold tomorrow, and after seeing the pics of the 400 Type S, I'm going to go argue some numbers at the dealer tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be scootin' soon.

Yep, we have the Suzie B, which was recently replaced by a brass-colored (coloured) coin of the same size bearing the image of Sacajawea -- a Native American woman who aided Lewis and Clark on their exploration of the Louisiana Purchase deal we got from the French. It's similar to your Loonie. No one uses the dollar coins much here.

But I apologize for hyjacking this thread....back to MSF course stuff... :)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
GD Canook coins!
:D :D :D

My Sister lives up there and by golly - I can't figure it out.
I think she just misses Rhode Island.

Delta bravo.

What can I say?

Saw them kids on that new hyper-cool 4 hunnert and said - "now whats NOT to like about that?!"

But really rick - if you do end up migrating - youll have to do something anout the "colour" thing.

8) :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
MSF

After several years of riding...I finally signed up for the beginners safety course. It was $180 and is 15 hours of course time. 4 book and 11 on the bike I think. I start this Saturday. I am really looking forward to it. They provide gloves, bikes and helmets although I am going to wear my own gear.

Can't wait to learn something new! I agree that it should be mandatory for everyone. I think we would have a lot less motorcycle related accidents and fatalities if it were.

Next step is to buy some good body armor.

Safe scooting everyone.

Dee

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
All you people must have money to burn to be spending that much on the MSF course. :wink: I paid a whoppin' 25 Bucks! A bargain at twice the price. A bargain at 5 times the price.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Well. a dis-incentive like higher insurance premiums if we don't take it, sends a lot of us (not me), to the safety course. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Pete said:
snippedBut really rick - if you do end up migrating - youll have to do something about the "colour" thing. 8) :D
Okay, "color" then. :wink:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts