Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MotoComm AB-1m Intercom/FM system photos: http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/album64

For some reason the white text on the main module didn't want to photograph well, but you can read it in the 5th picture.

I used "industrial" self-adhesive velcro to fasten it to the front edge of my seat. I cleaned the area well with alcohol. The adhesive sticks to the seat well.... except when it gets cold. I may have to stitch the seat velcro pads down.

Dave B.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Looks like you have a flip-front helmet. Is that a boom microphone? Or am I seeing a wire to a microphone that you velcroed to the chin guard?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a boom mike, although the AB-1m kit did include those to use if needed. You're seeing a wire to the mic element I velcroed to the chin bar, right in front of my mouth. It came with self-adhesive velcro attached, and was easy to install. I can remove it if I need to, leaving half the velcro there. I just watch the wire as I'm closing the helmet to make sure it doesn't get caught in the closure. It's the best I could do for that type of helmet.

Dave B.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
My guess would be to access the controls for volume and to change FM station.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
captainfish said:
Hey 4D, Why did you install it on the front of your seat? Was there not enough cable length to place the module under the seat? or any other place?
The ON/L/M/H switch for the intercom is on the unit. The FM ON/Volume dial and channel select is on the unit. The FM volume dial also controls the volume to the headphone of any CD/MP3 device connected. Most cable lengths would have worked had the unit been under the seat, but the driver's PTT button cable would have needed to be extended to reach the left hand grip. If it had been under the seat I would have to stop, get off, and open the seat to adjust the volume, change FM channels, or turn the thing on or off. I mounted it on the seat front so I could control it with my left hand while riding. The passenger headset and PTT cables route under the seat. Any MP3 device I get will probably be mounted on my dash for access, so that cable needed a direct route to the AB-1m module. I looked at all the possible locations, but decided the front edge of the seat, right between my legs, was the best for me. If I get a hump bag I'll move it to the top of that.

If they'd make a wired or wireless remote control for the thing then I'd put it under the seat. They don't. Yet.

Dave B.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ok, Thanks 4D,

This is why I ask questions... I can get a feel of how equipment operates, doesn't operate, fits within my plans for expansion, etc.

Are these units waterproof or water resistant?

Do you think it would fit underneath the handlebar covers so that the controls stick out the front right at you? :?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
captainfish said:
Ok, Thanks 4D,
Are these units waterproof or water resistant?
No. I'm making a baggie into a slipcover for mine should it be caught in the rain.
Do you think it would fit underneath the handlebar covers so that the controls stick out the front right at you? :?
No. The intercom OFF/L/M/H and FM ON/Volumes dial are on the top. The FM reset and step buttons are on the right side. Cables come out of both the left and right sides. Have a look at the pictures I posted in my gallery.

Having studied the AB-1m, I can tell it wasn't thoroughly thought out for ideal installation. I'd add a remote control for all the controls. I'd make all the accessory (cell/2-way/Radar/GPS) cables plug-in, instead of wired-in. I'd make it water resistant at least. The FM volume, reset and step buttons I'd make BIG, on the front, and easy to push with a gloved hand. I'd include a cable to hook into the cheap walmart Audiovox radios mentioned in another post.

Heck, I'm a designer. I can solder. I can trace circuits. Maybe this summer I'll get a project box from Radio Shack and re-configure the innards into my "perfect" intercom system. Maybe. 8)

·
Registered
367 Posts
4DThinker said:
Heck, I'm a designer. I can solder. I can trace circuits. Maybe this summer I'll get a project box from Radio Shack and re-configure the innards into my "perfect" intercom system. Maybe. 8)
I have mounted mine in the lower glove box. Drilled a hole in the top of it and run the GPS, both radio cables and the driver's push to talk out it.
I plan to use an Amateur radio 2 meter HT or a Cobra FRS radio once I make a bracket to hold the radio(s), they run out the left hand vent by the mirror.
I cut a small slot in the door to allow the headset cable to run out without pinching it too much.

I have not yet run the passenger cables but plan to do that once we get some warmed weather. The plastic and my fingers don't work well in the cold of my carport.

I am also going to find water proof replacements for the switch, volume control and the push buttons and move all the controls 'outside' for easier access.

So far the only problem I have had has been with my MP3 player, the unit seems to clip and I think that the output from my MP3 player may be too low and it isn't holding the circuit.
GPS (2610) works just fine and I get all my instructions in the helmet (Symax), I have tested my Amateur radio off the bike, no bracket yet, have have receive good reports as to the voice quality from the helmet mic, even sounds like me. I have also test my cellphone, off the bike, and wil have to add some toriods to try and cutout the transmit interference that get picked up by the speaker(s) cable. It is a Motorola Iden (Nexcell in the States) and when it transmits it causes a pulsing sound in the speakers.

The sound quality is definitely geared to voice and not music, not enough bass or too much treble depending on how you look at it.
Too bad Suzuki didn't build in something like this!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sails said:
I am also going to find water proof replacements for the switch, volume control and the push buttons and move all the controls 'outside' for easier access.
My plan exactly. It's a shame the 650's dash isn't more like my car's. My car has several accessory switch locations ready to be punched out and used. The waterproof part will be the hardest. Second will be keeping the dash from looking too much like an airplane cockpit.

Motocomm, are you listening? If you are, I'll help you redesign the AB-1m. We can start by making it a 1s for stereo.

Dave B.

·
Registered
761 Posts
4DThinker said:
I'll help you redesign the AB-1m. We can start by making it a 1s for stereo.

Dave B.
It is not a stereo unit?

It does not take the stereo output from cd/mp3/radio and convey that to stereo speakers?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
captainfish said:
It is not a stereo unit? It does not take the stereo output from cd/mp3/radio and convey that to stereo speakers?
No, it's not a stereo unit. From the manual:
The AudioBoss features an auxiliary audio input jack for connecting a portable music device. The portable music device must have a standard 3.5mm headphone/earphone jack to be compatible with the AudioBoss. Both driver and passenger will have mono audio in both speakers.
It simply blends both channels into one, and sends that signal to both ears. It saves them one channel of an amplifier. This music input was an update from earlier versions. All other inputs (intercom, cell phone, 2-way radio, GPS, radar) are mono, so the main circuit was designed as a mono audio circuit. To add the music input they simply tapped the (mono) FM radio amp, disabling the FM radio source when anything is plugged into the music jack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts