Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Dang, a friends MIL just did this last year. Sold the 38 acre dairy farm ($2.3 M) and paid cash for a Sprinter chassis Winnebago Class C, a time share in a North America RV club and a prepaid fuel card. She orders all food from Amazon Fresh or such. Carries no cash. Has guns too.

She fought with the 7 children that wanted nothing to do with the farm but then needed to stick their noses into what she wanted to spend the money on. She had the lawyers cut checks for $10,000 each and removed them from her will. The bulk of her money is in trust for the 15 grandchildren.
My MIL isn't anywhere near that financial position. And my MIL and my FIL (the 2 are divorced) have both already left my wife as their estate executor. Because my wife is responsible. Her sister is the leech. But by the time they pass, there's going to be little left over. But personally, I don't care. I want them two to enjoy their retirement. Get out and do things. My old man, even if his health were good, he gets 5 miles from home and warning buzzers go off in his head and he must get home. He never wants to do anything (but gripe).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
does she ride scooters???
I neglected to include that but yes, she's put me on the road to finding her a step-through scooter too. But she's not looking at one for actual hard core conveyance. She wants one more for running quick little errands, when her class C is set up in camping mode. She wanted a Vespa. But, I think she didn't specifically want a Vespa brand, she wanted something that looked like a Vespa. So, I have recommended to her a Honda Metropolitan. Can get a new one for less than $2k. 50 cc. She will not need a MC license, license plate. Just a helmet and her driver's license and she can legally run around town on roads with a speed limit no higher than 35 mph. But I've seen then on 45 mph roads. Less expensive than an actual equivalent Vespa, more reliable, and only weighs about 170 pounds. Lots of storage (like our Burgmans) and baskets and whatnot can be added for carrying even more.

Gotta figure out a way for her to carry it with her. The easiest way is a small utility trailer. Just so easy to load. But it would be better if there were a bumper carry type deal, that she could load onto easy enough and not have to tow. Like I said, she's not strong so loading onto a bumper type carrier might be too difficult.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
My MIL isn't anywhere near that financial position. And my MIL and my FIL (the 2 are divorced) have both already left my wife as their estate executor. Because my wife is responsible. Her sister is the leech. But by the time they pass, there's going to be little left over. But personally, I don't care. I want them two to enjoy their retirement. Get out and do things. My old man, even if his health were good, he gets 5 miles from home and warning buzzers go off in his head and he must get home. He never wants to do anything (but gripe).
Get your dad some chickens to take care of ......at least he’ll have a good excuse and great eggs....... My wife just had to have chickens 🐓ssssss now she wants a mama goat 🐐.... we live in the city.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
When I say my dad wants to do NOTHING, I do not exaggerate. He never has. Drove my mom crazy. He encourages me to do less and less (I just ignore it). When my mom passed in August last year I had to take her friggin cat, because my dad said he didn't want it and will just take it out back and shoot it. If I were to guess the actual truth, he would have taken the cat to the local cat jail (whatever that place is called).

To this day, he is still in shock that the women of his church haven't organized a ministry to bring him cooked food 3 times a day every day, and a 2nd ministry to clean his house (since the time my mother passed). My mother coddled him, took care of his every need. He just existed. He is very much like Frank Barone. Now without her, he's just wasting away. That's why I have to go up there frequently. But also recently, my sister has moved in with him. And she cooks good, so he's happier that he has a short order cook again.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
I had to google that.....I must be the only guy that doesn’t Love Raymond

What’s the chance you could move your sister in law and her spawn in with him ?😂

Reactions: 808

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That would be the initiation of WWIII. And yes, my dad was just like that, when my mom was alive.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Has she ever camped, ever drove anything the size of a class "C" coach. Might pay here to rent one for a week just to get an idea of what the camping life is like. For transporting a "scooter" there are many options like this:
Cruiserlift Rv Motorcycle Lift. There are some serious mounting/support requirements on the coach chasis for these, so do you homework and don't belive what the salesman tells you. Also check the laws on bike license/registration in the area where she may be going. For example in most North Carolina state parks you are not allowed to ride a bike that is not licensed and insured.. some enforce it, some don't.

·
Registered
220 Posts
ibuzzard - I'll point her to that. She would have fun socializing with like minded people around her same age. She's 68 - 71 years old.
7 miles, I recommend that you also spend time studying that site, if you’re going to be involved with helping her get started. There’s lots of detailed info on choosing the correct vehicles, evaluating them, pitfalls to avoid. I can’t help myself, I am on there all the time, though my dream is out in the future.
Because, as you know, if she ends up changing her mind in six months, or six weeks, it’s all going to be your fault. Give yourself/her the best chance to have a positive experience.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
ibuzzard I liked when you told me about jumping on freight trains to see the world .... That’s gotta be the best once you get out of town.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Let her live.... a little RV experience within range of help to begin and branch out from there. Sorry if I offended earlier I'm one of those middle of the road people that votes across party lines. I sometime irritate my far left and right friends. But 'can't we all get along?'.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
I knew there was a reason I liked you 2talltoo .....irritate em back to the center.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Life was so much simple in the middle of the road days. Acts of kindness everywhere. Back in the late 50's early 60's servicemen would hitch hike home or back to an assignment. My pops would pick up everyone and we would travel miles our of our way to find a good spot for him to catch the next ride. He would offer crazy advise like, 'if a cop pulls you over you keep your hands at 10 and 2 until he knocks on the window to talk to you. Then you only need to answer with yes sir or no sir. Anything else is a wrong answer. If something is wrong with the being pulled over it can be sorted out later." Praise Jesus, put that on the written drivers test and we would have a simple start to common sense. See, I can almost sound like a right winger until I don't.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
But 'can't we all get along?'.
Works for me. But don't be mistaken. I'm no right winger. I'm a conservative person by nature. I'm more of a common sense person than anything else. This whole thing with all the protesting is rather simple in my mind, but that's for a closed thread. Let's not start that again.

All the responses you guys are saying are appreciated. But I'm doing a poor job of explaining my MIL. She is extremely capable. She's done a good bit of camping and canoeing, and she can do anything. She's no snooty poodle lady. She is lacking in body strength only. Otherwise she is very versatile. If any of you guys were single, and around the same age, you'd find her very interesting. But, I'm not doing any hookups. She can do anything involved in camping except where heavy lifting may be involved.

The only thing that I think is going to be an issue is, she has all kind of varmints. Now that she's selling the house, I don't know what she's going to do with all the varmints. But she's already said she's going to wind up with 1 annoying mongrel dog and 2 or 3 cats going along with her. And I'm going to try to shut that down. She needs to kick all the varmints to the curb, heck, givem to the leech and let the leech deal with them for a while.

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
I neglected to include that but yes, she's put me on the road to finding her a step-through scooter too. But she's not looking at one for actual hard core conveyance. She wants one more for running quick little errands, when her class C is set up in camping mode. She wanted a Vespa. But, I think she didn't specifically want a Vespa brand, she wanted something that looked like a Vespa. So, I have recommended to her a Honda Metropolitan. Can get a new one for less than $2k. 50 cc. She will not need a MC license, license plate. Just a helmet and her driver's license and she can legally run around town on roads with a speed limit no higher than 35 mph. But I've seen then on 45 mph roads. Less expensive than an actual equivalent Vespa, more reliable, and only weighs about 170 pounds. Lots of storage (like our Burgmans) and baskets and whatnot can be added for carrying even more.

Gotta figure out a way for her to carry it with her. The easiest way is a small utility trailer. Just so easy to load. But it would be better if there were a bumper carry type deal, that she could load onto easy enough and not have to tow. Like I said, she's not strong so loading onto a bumper type carrier might be too difficult.
Local laws vary, since she is going to be traveling and subject to those laws,,, Florida requires a license for a metropolitan, and a motorcycle course to get the endorsement. I know this from experience, my first scooter was a metropolitan , then I got lucky, somebody stole it, and I moved up to the 400.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yeah, I know a Metro is no Burgman. But it suits her needs. Knowing her, she'll just roll dirty until she gets pinched. She's not the type to be doing anything to draw the attention of law enforcement. And she's the type that they always just give a warning. I'm the kind that goes 1 mph over and I get ticketed to the fullest extent of the law. I guess cause I just look like a big mean ugly ogre thug.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My first mil told me if I ever failed to do whatever and buy whatever her daughter wanted, or ever made her daughter in any way unhappy she would make me pay; even if she had to dig her way out of the grave to do it. I buried her face down.... Let her dig.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My first mil told me if I ever failed to do whatever and buy whatever her daughter wanted, or ever made her daughter in any way unhappy she would make me pay; even if she had to dig her way out of the grave to do it. I buried her face down.... Let her dig.
Smart move.

My MIL doesn't share those same feelings. My wife does. Every woman has a certain amount of meanness in them. My wife is short. So when you take that certain amount of meanness and compress it down into a smaller package, it is under higher pressure to come out. That's why I occasionally refer to my wife as, The Beast.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts