Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and Gals,

My mother-in-law came to me a couple months back and wanted me to start helping her find a Class C RV. She wanted to sell her house and wander about the country. Her husband died in 2018. She's been living, over the past 20 years at least, with her daughter, and her daughters (5) spawn leaching onto her and her husband for their EVERY need. Sucking the life and money out of those 2 as best they could, including living in their house for that long. Now that her husband has passed, she finally gave the boot to her daughter and the last 2 or 3 or her spawn. So now, the M-I-L has her house sold (waiting to close), and is dead-set on heading out in a Class C.

The Beast (my wife / her daughter) has come to me and told me she didn't think my M-I-L should be doing this. Blah blah blah, the safety, blah blah blah the expense, blah blah blah.

I told The Beast that her mother has raised a family, lived a clean crime-free life, supported many children and grandchildren for far too long, and if her mother asked me to help her build a rocket to go to the moon, I would support her and be there to light the fuse. That her mother has earned the right to do WHATEVER the F she wants to do, and I support her in whatever the quest may be.

Same as I told my old man. He's in bad health now. But I told him months ago that if he wanted to ride down to the sheriff's office and do big ole smoky donuts out front, I'll go gas up his truck and get it ready. He's earned the right to do whatever he wants, and I support him. And so has my M-I-L.

As for my M-I-L, she's 100% there in the head, and a gun toter. She's not strong, but she's nowhere near completely helpless either. I figure she's smart enough to go where she feels safe and will carry a gun (legally in most places) and illegally if she wants to. And I don't blame her on that.

It is very close to time to purchase a class C RV. I found her some really good ones for very reasonable $s.

My question is: Am I wrong to support my M-I-L in whatever she wants to do? She's not the type of person to want to do anything bad, so I support her for whatever. The Beast makes me think I'm being a bit wreck less or something with my support for her.

7milesout

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
Do you have a place to park the RV at your house and the ability to give her service hook ups ? If you can do that then yes. She is going to need a home base for a while before you set her free.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
in my worthless opinion you are right, (you don't hafta tell the beast I sed so, she might know swmbo) and I agree , have a hookup ready so mil can park when she wants to, that might take the sting outta the beasts tail a little

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't got me no hookup. She could slap a 110V power cable in, but that's it. And my driveway is as full as a tick as it is. And I live in Snootsville, where the HOA Nazi's come around and check everything (not as bad as the lady with the chainsaw on some TV commercial that cuts down a mailbox because it is 2 inches over the limit, but not so far from that).

Once my sons get out of high school, back to the county I go. I figured she'd need a home base. I'll look into it. She could use her sister's house or maybe she should bum off her daughter for a while. Errr, no. The daughter would slowly migrate herself and her spawn into the RV for trips, and overnights, and the next thing you know, you wouldn't be able to get them out. They are the ultimate freeloaders. I/she may have a couple options for a home base.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
I’d sit down with her with a 12pack and have a heart to heart with her and see what her true desires and destinations are. In the good ol days RVing around the states was a lot more fun. Now with the virus and unemployment more are forced to live in their vehicles.

Tell here there are alternatives .... like renting a room in a mobil home 55+ park in Florida/Arizona surrounded by upscale Class A Campers with all sorts of pre-planned activities for the winter. The thing is she needs a network of positive like minded people doing the same thing....some one to tell her to get up and get dressed cause the bus will be here.

Have her research Intentional Living Communities and maybe just set her up a Subaru Camping Station Wagon and have her visit the different communities.

Does she have one positive child that can serve as her legal guardian/power of attorney to oversee her home mailing address and banking needs ? Have her do at least the basic living will with her final resting arrangements. Gather all her Insurance Policies. Get her a laptop set-up for basic two-way video chat and her online banking and bill paying service.

The Dream of Hitting the Road can turn into a nightmare fast without being prepared for it.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What you're mentioning, is pretty much her plan after roaming about. She doesn't want to roam the rest of her life. Just maybe 2 to 4 years. The Beast is her positive child and will be in charge of all that … or what very little is likely to be left. Which is fine, it's her money, she should be the one to spend it. Lord knows the other daughter and the rest of the leeches grabbed as much as they could … and it was quite a lot. The wife and I haven't got squat. That doesn't concern me. I'm just glad she finally managed to kick them to the curb to still have enough to roam about a bit. Her other daughter is in her mid-40's, votes democrat, and has never done a blame thing but leech.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only if she stays outside near the protestors! Inside near other sane people she's perfectly safe!

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
Careful boys .....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Guys and Gals,

My mother-in-law came to me a couple months back and wanted me to start helping her find a Class C RV. She wanted to sell her house and wander about the country. Her husband died in 2018. She's been living, over the past 20 years at least, with her daughter, and her daughters (5) spawn leaching onto her and her husband for their EVERY need. Sucking the life and money out of those 2 as best they could, including living in their house for that long. Now that her husband has passed, she finally gave the boot to her daughter and the last 2 or 3 or her spawn. So now, the M-I-L has her house sold (waiting to close), and is dead-set on heading out in a Class C.

The Beast (my wife / her daughter) has come to me and told me she didn't think my M-I-L should be doing this. Blah blah blah, the safety, blah blah blah the expense, blah blah blah.

I told The Beast that her mother has raised a family, lived a clean crime-free life, supported many children and grandchildren for far too long, and if her mother asked me to help her build a rocket to go to the moon, I would support her and be there to light the fuse. That her mother has earned the right to do WHATEVER the F she wants to do, and I support her in whatever the quest may be.

Same as I told my old man. He's in bad health now. But I told him months ago that if he wanted to ride down to the sheriff's office and do big ole smoky donuts out front, I'll go gas up his truck and get it ready. He's earned the right to do whatever he wants, and I support him. And so has my M-I-L.

As for my M-I-L, she's 100% there in the head, and a gun toter. She's not strong, but she's nowhere near completely helpless either. I figure she's smart enough to go where she feels safe and will carry a gun (legally in most places) and illegally if she wants to. And I don't blame her on that.

It is very close to time to purchase a class C RV. I found her some really good ones for very reasonable $s.

My question is: Am I wrong to support my M-I-L in whatever she wants to do? She's not the type of person to want to do anything bad, so I support her for whatever. The Beast makes me think I'm being a bit wreck less or something with my support for her.

7milesout
I'm going to tell a cautionary tale that over the years I've heard time and again. You sell your home. That money is used to fund your class C dream. However you start, new or used. In time that motorhome gets tired, blows an engine, transmission, differential tires. A 450.00 fridge, plumbing concerns, septic concerns, you got the whole drift where I'm going with this. If you have the means to making this repeatable (buy another). You might be ok. Many more people than you might think have to find a park to tow it to. And because funds have dwindled end up paying lot rent and sewage hookup charges, buying a car and that's their story.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well props to your mil for deciding...to walk the beach alone, that takes nerve.

I think it's a fine idea while you have your health. I do recall one of my buddies said his rv required more maintenance than an aircraft.

If you were going to be through in the search she might be convinced to a try out a tow behind camper to see how she adapts to rv life, public slowers, restrooms etc.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I recommend you point her toward this group: Cheap RV Living.com-Home

They are mostly retired and older, mostly full-time RubberTrampers. They have tons of info on traveling, most of it on YouTube . They follow the weather, many traveling in groups, and maintaining long time friendships. They know how to do things right, help newbies to learn, and encourage the timid. I’d not be surprised if many members here are already familiar with them.

Their videos -and they are legion - can help you choose the vehicle that is just right, whether full-timing it, or part timing it. I really want to kit out an extended cargo van with a hightop, and stealth camp around the country with the wife for a few months out of the year. She is unaware, and would likely tell me to hit the road, though. Which I will do.

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
Dang, a friends MIL just did this last year. Sold the 38 acre dairy farm ($2.3 M) and paid cash for a Sprinter chassis Winnebago Class C, a time share in a North America RV club and a prepaid fuel card. She orders all food from Amazon Fresh or such. Carries no cash. Has guns too.

She fought with the 7 children that wanted nothing to do with the farm but then needed to stick their noses into what she wanted to spend the money on. She had the lawyers cut checks for $10,000 each and removed them from her will. The bulk of her money is in trust for the 15 grandchildren.

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
Dang, a friends MIL just did this last year. Sold the 38 acre dairy farm ($2.3 M) and paid cash for a Sprinter chassis Winnebago Class C, a time share in a North America RV club and a prepaid fuel card. She orders all food from Amazon Fresh or such. Carries no cash. Has guns too.

She fought with the 7 children that wanted nothing to do with the farm but then needed to stick their noses into what she wanted to spend the money on. She had the lawyers cut checks for $10,000 each and removed them from her will. The bulk of her money is in trust for the 15 grandchildren.
does she ride scooters???

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
I ain’t throwing no stones.....I’ve got more knots on my head than the State of Washington has Apples ....from when I get started about the Stink of D.C.🤕

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to tell a cautionary tale that over the years I've heard time and again.
Dannspride - I've heard that tale too. I know it's true. I'm trying to prevent her from doing the same thing. She's a smart lady. Way smarter than the average lady. She's also trying to prevent the same thing. My efforts are to try to put her in a Class C that will spend more time on the road than in the shop. So, here's a little more to the deal. When her husband died, he left her a fairly decent size chunk of money. If I remember right it was between 500k to 750k or so. I don't know what she has left of that. It's only been 2 years. But her leech daughter and her spawn have a way of needing O.P.M. all the time. Here's an example of why I talk only negative of the leech daughter. Leech daughter's oldest nerd son wanted to go on some kind of "build a house for crack smokers" kind of thing. It was in, I don't know, NJ or something, and seemed like it was about 2 weeks to stay there building a house or some such donation of time and effort. This was about 5 years ago. So of course the MIL pays for all the logistics to send the nerd up there. Then at the last second, the day before the MIL was prompting him to pack, and he decides, "Eh, I don't want to go." The MIL is all upset, "well, you're going, I've already put in over $1,000 on this trip."

"Eh, I don't really want to go now." So the MIL goes to her daughter, and the leech daughter blows it off like it is absolutely no big deal, as if he didn't want to eat a bowl of cereal that was just made for him. Her attitude was, "if he doesn't want to go, why should he, and why are you upset?" The leech never cared about how much $ she wasted. Because it was always, O.P.M. Other People's Money. I mentioned before, the leech is a democrat voter. Fo' real. Not being political, that's a fact.

Anywho - The MIL is selling her house and trying to keep her Class C expense to $30k or less. Used. She knows better than to buy a new one. I'm helping her find one that (hopefully) won't be breaking down on her. She'll have enough money left over to go to the next place she wants to live after she's done roaming about. The MIL has had very few opportunities to do anything for herself, or spend any of her own money on herself. So, I'm helping her (but doing it as right as we can), because she has friggin earned the right.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you were going to be through in the search she might be convinced to a try out a tow behind camper to see how she adapts to rv life, public slowers, restrooms etc.
808 - She would never want to tow anything near as large as a camper. She'll be absolutely fine with RV life. She looks a bit like a snoot, but she is 0% actual snoot. She'd sleep on the ground if needed, with a gun in her pocket of course.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts