Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a post awhile back on the max weight of the Burgmans. Not sure, but I might have set a weight record with 520+ pounds of rider and passenger on a Burgman 400. :lol: The 400 wouldn't win any races off the line, but once moving it didn't complain a bit. Handling with that much weight was weird. When my passenger moved, it felt like two rhinos dancing on the back of the bike. :p I wouldn't like riding with that much load on the 400 on a regular basis, but it made for an interesting experience.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. I'm only about 225 pounds. Gave one of my friends a ride home on back of the Burgman. Estimate of 300 pounds is being "polite". :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
THE MOST WEIGHT CARRIED ON A 400 BURGMAN

This is my first time on post a reply I have a 400 k2 in silver and me and my better half tip the scales at a 580 pounds + the
4 bags of shopping under the seat we go shopping once a week and go on holiday 150 miles there +touring then 150 back is this the max or should I eat more pies ? :oops:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Steven, if anyone tops you on this, just add a Givi trunk to haul more groceries.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Steven . Glad to have you join us.

Looks like you got me beat. Seems I'm the one that needs to eat more pies. :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
Net Vehicle Weight

The gross vehicle weight for the 2005 Burgman 400 is 860 lbs and the dry weight is 405 lbs. I have not seen the wet weight figure but would guess it to be about 445 lbs, based on a full tank of gas, two quarts of oil, engine coolant, and water in the battery. That would leave only 415 lbs for driver, passenger, and luggage. I wonder how far you could push this figure without adverse impact on handling or damage to the scooter? Would the weakest link be the rear suspension? Does anyone know the wet weight of the Burgman 400?

I also found it interesting that the Burgman 650 with a gross vehicle weight of 999 lbs, would produce only 14 lbs more carrying capacity than the Burgman 400 after the additional weight of the scooter and fluids were factored in. That seems strange, considering the size of the tires and suspension. I wonder how conservative these figures are.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I gave a rather large colleague from work a lift once, forgetting to turn up the rear preload. Despite moderate riding the centre stand got scraped on both sides while cornering

The front end felt very light and I got a little worried about doing an improptu wheelie if we hit a bump. At least if we both ended up going over the back of the bike I'd have had a soft landing. :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The listed GVWs on all motorcycles are conservative (for liability reasons). I have moderately exceeded them on various motorcycles when touring 2-up, with no adverse effects. If you go too far it is readily apparent ( as described by Andre).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts