Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MOST reliable car U ever owned ?

I am presently looking for some used cars for family members that either need now or will in the near future . What I’m finding is this is a more difficult task than I imagined , the car market is a little crazy right now to put it mildly . I’ve always bought new and pretty much what ever I fancied at the time , and never gave buying a used car much thought . That said I didn’t have to , I was what some would call a high roller . (the good old days:crybaby: ) The family members I’m trying to help out are not rolling in cash , so they are looking for value . So now that I’ve bored you to tears , what is the most reliable car you ever owned ? Or what you might have heard from friends and family ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Well, nothing can beat Mercedes from 80-ties, early 90-ties. After that and towards newer motors - only and only Japanese.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I buy used cars based on condition and price more than on the particular brand. I look for something that has been maintained properly and has not been abused. I don't usually end up with Hondas or Toyotas because their selling price used is unrealistically high. Toyota Colollas are dependable because the technology is ancient and Toyota has left it that way. I avoid European cars because their parts are very expensive and many repairs require equipment only available at very expensive dealers. I would suggest you stop by an independent garage or two and ask them what kind of cars they do the most repairs on.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I buy used cars based on condition and price more than on the particular brand. I look for something that has been maintained properly and has not been abused. I don't usually end up with Hondas or Toyotas because their selling price used is unrealistically high. Toyota Colollas are dependable because the technology is ancient and Toyota has left it that way. I avoid European cars because their parts are very expensive and many repairs require equipment only available at very expensive dealers. I would suggest you stop by an independent garage or two and ask them what kind of cars they do the most repairs on.

Hondas and Toyota's are unrealistically high ? I can't believe what every one is asking for these cars and trucks now , and "LOW MILES" is 100,000 miles now ??? WTF ??? I haven't been in the market for a car or truck for at least 8 years , and I can't believe what I am seeing now . $20,000 for a used pick up truck with 100,000 miles in it ?? No wonder no one has any money these days .

My solution . Buy a another Burgman 650 :D

And the Federal Reserve is worried about prices falling / deflation ? They actually want at least 2% inflation a year , so the majority of Americans can start hitch hiking to work and eat out of dumpsters ? **** ! I can't get 2% on my savings .

OK RANT OVER

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Good rant, I am 110% with you.

1913 was the banner year for things turning to crap:

• The Federal Reserve Bank was established (and fractional reserve banking and fiat currency, then the need for perpetual inflation to keep the Ponzi scheme alive);
  • The Federal Income Tax was reinstated (after being declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in 1894 and having that obstacle removed by the 1913 16th Amendment);
  • The 17th Amendment was ratified by 3/4 of the States, declaring that Senators be directly elected by popular vote rather than being elected by the state legislatures (effectively ending the states being represented in Congress as was intended by the Founders);
[end of my rant]

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ford windstar van Lots of room more than enough power. Parts dirt cheap
Solid on the road, good in snow.

Replaced in later years by the Freestar

Also like the midsize GM rear wheel drive vans. (Safari)

·
Registered
347 Posts
If I were looking at European cars it would be VW Passat and Jetta, good cars most people who own these maintain them well. If you are looking at Japanese cars it would be Toyota, every bit as good as Honda but less expensive to buy and service. The company I work for has at least 30-40 Corolla's. Every now and then you will see a Ford or Nissan, but they keep going back to Toyota. I know they trade them out every 3 maybe 4 years with about 180000 mi on the clock. Now if you are Looking at American made car, that is a tuff one, but I would have to go with Ford, just because I think they ride nicer. But, the most reliable car I have EVER owned was my 1968 sky blue Checker Marathon. I bought it in 1971 with 200000 mi on the clock, traded it for a 66 GTO with a blown engine in 1974. It never occurred to me then both of these cars would be collectables today.:(

·
Registered
175 Posts
Isuzu Trooper. I owned two of them and they were both reliable vehicles. Also owned a Isuzu car, pickup, Rodeo and Amigo, all great reliable vehicles but the Troopers were the best. To bad Isuzu got out of the passenger vehicle business.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I too look for highly maintained vehicles, regardless of mileage.

I know nothing of Honda's or Toyotas. I'm a Ford man myself. Well taken care of, american cars will last as long as imports IMO. I don't buy into the hype.

My current Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 AWD has been extremely reliable. Bought it 10 years ago with 85,000 on it for 10 grand. It now has 216,000 and still runs like a champ. NOT good on gas however! Lots of things that can go wrong that cost a lot though. Due to having inside knowledge at the dealership, I attribute much of it's reliability to the original owners being an elderly couple who had all the regular services done routinely.

Few years back I bought a 93 Mustang with 30.,00 miles and sold it with 230,000 on it. The reliability on that one was due to my maintainance.

Bottom line, I'd look for original, "financially secure elderly" owned vehicles, over brand. Usually they have friends or family put ads up for them on Craigslist because they aren't internet savvy.

One other tip is to look at common cars, then browse the "matching forum" to find out the "common issues" they have. Almost every car has something that plagues it.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Honda Accord, any year.
+1. My Prelude is 18 YO and runs like a champ. And everything still works, not just the engine, but all those little thing too.

My wife's Chevy, despite being 8 years newer, has all kinds of things going wrong, like the AC fan buzzing and remote going out. But the Honda just keeps plugging away, like the day I bought it.

There's a reason why those Hondas and toyotas go for so much on the used market. Like my dad used to say, buy it right or buy it twice.

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
I'll chuck in a vote for the corolla; albeit mine were the old rwd ones.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
+1. My Prelude is 18 YO and runs like a champ. And everything still works, not just the engine, but all those little thing too.

My wife's Chevy, despite being 8 years newer, has all kinds of things going wrong, like the AC fan buzzing and remote going out. But the Honda just keeps plugging away, like the day I bought it.

There's a reason why those Hondas and toyotas go for so much on the used market. Like my dad used to say, buy it right or buy it twice.
I've been a GM guy pretty much all my life . I'm not for one minute saying GM didn't make a lot of mistakes over the years , because they did and plenty of them . Still overall I had much better luck with GM products than any of the other American car companies . Truth is every Ford or Chrysler
product I bought turned out to be lemon . All the GM trucks I bought for my company turned out to be very good trucks and held their value better that any of the other American trucks .

The best car I ever owned was my 1989 Mercedes 560 SEL that I bought new in 1990 . The car stickered at $74,000 and it was worth every penny of that sticker . A few years later the dealer called me and told me this ultra rich guy just traded a 1990 one just like it with 10,000 miles on it . He said if you want it you can have it for $36.000 , so I grabbed it . I wound up with 2 and drove them for several years . They actually rode and handled far better than the Rolls Royce of that era . The 560 SEL just might have been the finest car ever built , and I was lucky enough to have had the pleasure twice . Over the years I've owned a few Mercedes and drove just about all of them at one time or another . Nothing Mercedes ever made before or after came close to the 560 SEL . IT WAS MAGNIFICENT

This is it , bronze metallic with a chocolate brown interior .

·
Registered
828 Posts
We can't afford the fuel costs of a luxury or full size sedan, for that reason we (me and my father) managed to trade/sell/buy small salons cars like opel kaddet, opel astra, daewoo prince and hyundai elantra, the elantra was the best one and the most reliable among them.
Away from what i said, in case you're looking for Japanese cars like the Camry and the Accord and the safety is one of your priorities, you should watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoUdfWjiDYA

·
Registered
71 Posts
My wife is on her second Corolla and I am in my third Nissan truck. I love my trucks and they are very dependable. I prefer rear wheel drive as they just seem to have fewer problems with the drive train. Also comes to a point that a truck's value holds level as there is always someone that will buy a truck no matter what it looks like , so long as it can still get the job done.

Dan

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My wife is on her second Corolla and I am in my third Nissan truck. I love my trucks and they are very dependable. I prefer rear wheel drive as they just seem to have fewer problems with the drive train. Also comes to a point that a truck's value holds level as there is always someone that will buy a truck no matter what it looks like , so long as it can still get the job done.

Dan
My Chevy pickup has 75K on the clock , my son did one brake job on it and other than that nothing . It has never been back to the shop once . My Chevy van had the AC replaced at 40K and that's it other that a brake job my son did on it and one new set of tires a couple of months ago . I hear / read about all these GM problems people have , and yet we've had a lot of them and hardly any problems .

A few nights ago I was reading some reviews on older Buicks , they were 90+% 5 star reviews . Then one guy gave his a big fat thumbs down , he ranted and raved about all these problems and swore never another American car for him . At the end of his rant he finally mentioned the fact that he bought the car with 180,000 miles on it . SO ? :D

TheReaper!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts