Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know, I am taking the mighty Scarabeo 150 around Lake Erie. I was getting my spare parts together when I got stuck on, of all things, light bulbs. The owners manual had no type of model number or anything, just a wattage. The service manual was of no use either. So I went out seeking information on the headlight bulb, figuring it might be a "special" bulb like the Burgie uses.

I called no less than three Aprilia dealers. The first one told me they would have to call Aprilia direct to get the part number as it is a very unique item. They said they would call me back. I told them don't worry about it.

The second one told me it is the same headlight that is run in all of the Vespas and Piaggo scooters, a proprietary design. I asked if it might be available at an auto parts store and he said "no." He told me that it was an 35W/35W. The owners manual said "65W." I told him that and he said the owners manual must be wrong. I didn't buy it.

The third one told me about the same story, but said that once they got the bulb they assigned their own part number and didn't use anything else but their part number. I thought they were full of a load also.

So I went out and went to pull the headlight bulb out. And I didn't even get the screw for the lense out when I read right around the bulb as the base of the bulb is visable through the lense....

"H4" Furthermore, since we bought the bike with under 400 miles on it, I am assuming it's the original bulb.

For those of you that don't know what an H4 Halogen bulb is, it's about the most common Halogen automotive bulb, available at Walmart, Target, and any auto parts store.

And we wonder why Aprilia is losing dealers in the US left and right.

GEESH!!!!

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Ow. I can feel my bloodpressure rising just reading your tale. Nothing like a "we don't know and we don't care" attitude, is there?

Hey, now YOU know, and you solved the problem BEFORE your road trip. Have a great time, and write your fellow Forum members all about it.

--Christine

·
Registered
969 Posts
Actually, H4's are pretty much motorcycle specific bulbs. Automotive bulbs are generally H3's (fog) H1's or H7's or 9000 series lights.

In the past, at least for me, H4's have been sort of hard to find.

Steve

Gear up!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to Advance Auto Parts and got my H4. I think that my CR-V uses H4's as well, but I am not sure.

Anyway, it's sad for Aprilia's part. I mean, a headlight for cryin out loud!!!

The company has an "elitest" attitude when it comes to their sportbikes. Could you imagine one of these dealers working on your 20K sportbike?

Crazy!

·
Registered
848 Posts
wasions said:
Actually, H4's are pretty much motorcycle specific bulbs. Automotive bulbs are generally H3's (fog) H1's or H7's or 9000 series lights.

Steve

Gear up!
H4's are very common around here. You can find them at any auto parts store, Walmart, Canadian Tire etc; in just about any watt you would like, made by Sylvannia, GE etc. I bought some at Costco a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Actually, I had just put new Silverstars in Moby before the wreck. I got them back before the bike was taken away. I suppose I can use one in my DR, but I'll probably just wait for the opportunity to put them in something new - next year.

Steve

Gear up!

·
Registered
572 Posts
wasions said:
H4 is more like the international designation for that type of bulb. In the US, it's probably more commonly known as a "9003" bulb. They're both the same.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts