Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried to throw an oil change at '10 650AN. What kind of MORON who last serviced the bike puts the oil drain plug on with a rattle-gun!!!!! I broke a wrench trying to free it and still no-go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try warming the bike up before removing the drain plug. Sometimes the heat can help loosen it up.

Some mechanics just wrench everything super tight no matter what it is :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
Try this, take it out for a ride to get the engine and oil hot. While it is hot see if you can back off the oil drain plug then. I wouldn't recommend using any other method to heat up the plug. If the PO used something like Lok-Tite, you may be in for one of those self tapping drain plugs if your threads are damaged.... either that or a helicoil insert. Backing it off with an impact gun might be the only way to do it though. I would start by using one of those Dewalt 1/4" drive battery powered guns and if that didn't work, try the next step up... Regardless, I agree with you about the PO's intellectual gift rating.... Right up there with Mortimer Snerd.....

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
For a bit more of a thermal assist, get some dry ice and see if you can use that to cool the bolt (and wrench too, so it's less effective as a heat sink) after getting the oil and oil pan hot. Be careful with the dry ice, though.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I had that same problem myself with the first oil change. Solved it by applying my own rattle-gun. Hand-wrenched it back on and the second oil change was a breeze.

·
Registered
842 Posts
That is exactly the reason i do my own oil changes. I wish you success in removing
oil plug without thread damage. We already know mechanic has "dain bamage" LOL

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
That is exactly the reason i do my own oil changes. I wish you success in removing
oil plug without thread damage. We already know mechanic has "dain bamage" LOL
But if he's lucky, the bike won't have sustained any "drain damage".

·
Registered
709 Posts
6 point socket on a long breaker bar. Push in hard whilst turning of have someone hold their foot on it..an impact wrench would wipe those threads out.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Guess I was lucky. I did it while the motor was cold (well, cold for Florida - it was about 60 that day) and the electric impact took it off so fast the bolt fell into the oil pan before I got my finger off the trigger. Hand-threaded it back in with no problem and only used the hand wrench for the last turn or two.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just tried to throw an oil change at '10 650AN. What kind of MORON who last serviced the bike puts the oil drain plug on with a rattle-gun!!!!! I broke a wrench trying to free it and still no-go.
Did you own the Burg then and if so did you call the shop that did this?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you own the Burg then and if so did you call the shop that did this?
I've had it since new. Haven't contacted the shop yet but the mechanic involved got the sack months ago, probably for similar resons

1 - 14 of 14 Posts