Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me seeing more scoots around now that we have $3.00 gas?

Nigeria pays about $0.37 im told, although some contries are up to $6.00

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It's probably a reliable observation due to two things -- people with scooters are riding more because the high gas prices are coinciding with good riding weather, and there is increased sales of scooters.

·
Registered
822 Posts
csachs1 said:
Is it just me seeing more scoots around now that we have $3.00 gas?

Nigeria pays about $0.37 im told, although some contries are up to $6.00
Venezuala is at $0.12 - the lowest in the world... but you won't read about that in a U.S. newspaper any more than you'll read that Venezuela sent Louisiana 1.5 million barrels of oil at no charge... nor will you read in any U.S. newspapers that most of our oil comes from Canada, Venezuela... unlike what they'd have you believing.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Don't know from world wide gas prices. But I have been seeing more bikes on the road, so far not scooters, but I am willing to bet we all will be seeing more of both. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm seeing more motorcycles, but I think that may be the weather. (It's been beautiful here lately.) Not seeing any more scooters. I occasionally see a helix and a reflex -- that's it -- just 2 other scooters. I guess this isn't scooter country.

Of course, I'm reading about more scooters in the area: one in Honeybrook and one in Hatboro. :wink:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Some of the new sportbikes look like scooters until you take a closer look - I'm seeing a lot more of those. I'm seeing more of the Kymco, Vespa, and other smaller scoots around but not so much the bigger superscoots.

·
Registered
40 Posts
People were calling my "Scooter Boy" at work, and making fun of me when I bought my Burg. Now I am getting voicemails asking about the mpg that I am getting and the insurance costs. A co-worker will be picking up a new 2005 from the dealer tomorrow after seeing mine.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I attended a local "Show n' Shine" here in Ottawa, Canada today. It was held every Wednesday through the summer although today was the last official gathering for the Season. There were maybe 250 motorcycles and I had the only scooter (650 Burg). I set it up on the centre stand with the seat up so people could have a look in the trunk. It got a lot of attention. Maybe there'll be more next year.

I drove to a coffee shop (Tim Horton's) after leaving the event. There were several bikers standing around the scoot when I came out. I had a long talk with a Harley rider who got me to try the seat on his big Harley Touring machine (some kind of "Glide" I guess). It was really comfortable!! He told me the bike was worth $45,000 (cdn) and the Air Seat cost $1800(cdn). He also talked about the great gas mileage he gets (compared to his truck). I think his bike was really great but just not practicle (affordable) for me.

...... Jerry

·
Registered
822 Posts
tluebbe said:
People were calling my "Scooter Boy" at work, and making fun of me when I bought my Burg. Now I am getting voicemails asking about the mpg that I am getting and the insurance costs. A co-worker will be picking up a new 2005 from the dealer tomorrow after seeing mine.
I belong to the SCRC riding club (its worldwide) which is mostly (actually almost all) cruisers. I ride with 2 different chapters - and this group really rides (about 300 miles is the typical Sunday ride). Anyway, during my time with the group (a little over a year now), one person purchhased a Burgman 650 last month. Another rider from another chapter said there's a Burgman rider that ocasionally rides with their group.

·
Registered
350 Posts
In the last 30 days I've written over a dozen new motorcycle policies. That's up from the normal of about 7 per month during the spring and summer months. It usually settles down in September as the cycle buying season ends. Of those 12, only 1 was a scooter (new Silverwing) but my 650 setting outside my office every day is drawing attention and interest by a lot of people. I've had 2 people say they were seriously going to check out the Burgman as they loved what I had to say about it and loved the look and gas stats. The problem is availability this time of year. Dealer showrooms crowded with bikes for sale, and the little 49cc and 80cc baby scoots but the Reflex, Silverwing and Burgmans are getting hard to find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts