Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have more power in my K4.
Is there any way to increase the power, so the scooter becomes a little more alert for overtaking at higher speeds?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
History first...
I see you fitted new cylinder and piston recently fitted.
Did you ever replace the worn pulleys?
If not then you are not getting best available from power you already have.
Dr.Pulley sliders won't increase your power, but along with other new CVT parts may possibly improve response times.

(Pre-2007 Burgmans are known to "use" some engine oil - Increasing performance + revs will likely make that situation worse).

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Nitro! :cool:

·
Administrator
22,919 Posts
To get more power from a 400cc single requires a LOT of work.
Sometimes its a lot easier to gain performance in other ways, playing with items like:

1. Slider weights.
2. Contra spring.
3. Overall weight of bike and rider.
4. Retuning of fuel and ignition.

Reactions: Sangris

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
History first...
I see you fitted new cylinder and piston recently fitted.
Did you ever replace the worn pulleys?
If not then you are not getting best available from power you already have.
Dr.Pulley sliders won't increase your power, but along with other new CVT parts may possibly improve response times.

(Pre-2007 Burgmans are known to "use" some engine oil - Increasing performance + revs will likely make that situation worse).
No, I havent replace the pulleys. And the sliders have given good results with faster acceleration and lower rpm at 90-100 km / h

Oil consumption is now at a normal level after the replacement of the piston and cylinder. I have also installed an oil catch can that the crankcase ventilation passes and that will catch the oil mist, but I have not yet received any oil in it.

What I am looking for is if there is any method to increase the engine power. Is it possible to make changes to the control system?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To get more power from a 400cc single requires a LOT of work.
Sometimes its a lot easier to gain performance in other ways, playing with items like:

1. Slider weights.
2. Contra spring.
3. Overall weight of bike and rider.
4. Retuning of fuel and ignition.
1. Sliders are changed
2. Contra spring is standard
3. Left the wife at home
4. ...... How do I do this?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
In my case lose 30 lbs!

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
94 Posts
No, I havent replace the pulleys. And the sliders have given good results with faster acceleration and lower rpm at 90-100 km / h

Oil consumption is now at a normal level after the replacement of the piston and cylinder. I have also installed an oil catch can that the crankcase ventilation passes and that will catch the oil mist, but I have not yet received any oil in it.

What I am looking for is if there is any method to increase the engine power. Is it possible to make changes to the control system?
The best and probably much less expensive way to get a faster Burgman is to trade your 400 Burgman in for a 650 Burgman. That said, look into making the engine sensors lie to the motor computer by inserting resistors in the sensor wiring so it thinks the air and coolant are cooler than they are which would make the fuel mix richer.

The motor in stock form produces a about 1 1/3 HP per cubic inch. I don't think there is that much more to be had from the Burgman 400 and still have a reliable long lived motor.

·
Administrator
22,919 Posts
  • Add a 'Leo Vance' type aftermarket exhaust system. It will not add any power but is lighter.
  • Add a K&N type air filter. By it self it will not add any power.
  • Then add a PowerCommander and have it professionally DYNO tuned for the Exhaust and K&N air filter.
  • Put the smallest diameter tire on the rear to increase the gear ratio to the ground.
  • Change the rollors to sliders.
  • Change the Contra Spring
All those may give you 3 to 5 more horsepower and reduce the overall weight.

·
Administrator
22,919 Posts
In the USA, Oregon Camshaft or Delta Camshafts may be able to re-grind the stock camshaft hotter. They take some off the base circle to increase the valve lift some. Then you re-shim it.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
The motor in stock form produces a about 1 1/3 HP per cubic inch. I don't think there is that much more to be had from the Burgman 400 and still have a reliable long lived motor.
I agree with this. I have a (carbureted) DR650 thumper and while acceleration is a little better and it has more "grunt" (and I know many differences between the two), top speed with that engine is virtually the same as the 400. That tells me they're wringing out about all the power realistically possible.

Reactions: Bluebottle

·
Administrator
22,919 Posts
Designed for purpose is what all bikes are about.

Take the post about the Suzuki Bandit. In that post I said I had the use of a Bandit 250. At 249cc it was small but that thing had the spirit of a dragon. It was designed as a sport bike and with 4 cylinders and a 14,500 REDLINE and 6 gears it would cruise at 80 MPH with ease and then crank on the right wrist and then in seconds you were doing 118 MPH. I think that bike will beat my Burgman 650 in any race, ANY RACE. Better gas mileage, faster 0-60, faster top end....

The Burgman 400 is a single thumper and was designed as a around town cruiser with capacity to cruise the freeways. It is quick, somewhat. It will go fast, somewhat. It gets good gas mileage, somewhat. It is not designed as a sport racer.

The Burgman 650 is just a little better in the sport's design, but not by much. It does 0-60 in 8 seconds and that is not real quick. It will pull a 15 second quarter mile and that again is kind of slow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts