Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
21,724 Posts
Just a comment on weight and inertia effects.

When Dale Earnhardt hit the wall at Daytona his car frame absorbed a lot of the impact but his head with a heavy helmet was not restrained. So at the 15G impact force, his head and helmet was over 1 ton at 180 MPH to 0 MPH. It fractured his skull and snapped his neck at the Atlas and Axis. They say he was dead before the car stopped.

Fast forward to me in my 2015 crash when I hit the concrete barrier at just 75 MPH. The impact moved my head forward and I had a sharp stab of pain in my head and blacked out for a split second. When xrays were done I had fractured my C4, C5 and C6 vertebra but no damage was seen to my spinal cord. But we later found out there was damage.

My helmet then was a Vega Summit II and it was 5.13 pounds.
My current G Max 54S is 4.34 pounds.
WSPollack's Noland N-90 and N-100-5 weigh 3.8 pounds.

Choose wisely.

Dress for the crash, not for how your friends see you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dress for the crash, not for how your friends see you.
Wise words.
And....
Read an article over here where a blokes post-accident compensation was reduced because he hadn't taken adequate care in protecting himself.
The accident was deemed NOT to have been his fault, but the extent of his injuries was.

[From 08 November 2018]--
What does contributory negligence mean for motorcyclists?
With clear guidance in the Highway Code (which every road user is expected to have read), as well as advice given in training, motorcyclists are expected to know the potential hazards of not wearing protective kit. If they don’t, and they have an accident, the opportunity is there for the other party to look for a reduction in the claim due to contributory negligence.
What motorcycle helmets are legal in the UK?
Your helmet must comply with UNECE Regulation 22:05, OR comply with British Standard BS 6658:1985 and carry the BSI Kitemark, OR comply with any standard accepted by a member of the European Economic Area that offers a level of safety and protection equivalent to BS 6658:1985, and carry a mark equivalent to the BSI Kitemark.

Helmets approved to US standards like DOT are not legal for use in the UK, and there are cases of defence lawyers attempting to reduce claims made by injured riders who were wearing non-UK approved helmets in the event of a non-fault accident.

·
Administrator
21,724 Posts
Wise words.
And....
Read an article over here where a blokes post-accident compensation was reduced because he hadn't taken adequate care in protecting himself.
The accident was deemed NOT to have been his fault, but the extent of his injuries was.
I have gotten in heated arguments over this. I am not a fan of big government. They need to stay out of most peoples business.

But every state level "Department of Transportation" needs to set some 'BASIC' levels of REQUIRED riding gear to be worn while riding a motorcycle.

They then need to state you should have a minimal recommendation that meets the states insurance levels of protection. If the states recommend level is a helmet but does not require it and you get in an accident when ignoring the minimal requirements, the insurance company can lower your covered amount.
You would need to sign a document from the state to get your motorcycle endorsement. And you would also need to sign a document with your insurance company that you understand the limits of liabilities of both parties.

Why should I have to pay more for insurance to cover you if you crash and are a quadriplegic for the rest of your life for ignoring the basis safety recommendations by wearing just a Doo Rag??? Your choice, pay for it yourself!!!

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
For some reason, my current N100-5 doesn't do that, but at least it's not hard plastic there -- it's thick, and has some give -- and I like the rest of the helmet.
Thanks for reminding me of Nolan modular helmets. I had one of the early N100s and liked it.
Visor swaps were a minor hassle though, in those days before retractable inner sun-shades.

·
Registered
28 Posts
These are very strong claims about flip-over helmets, offered with no supporting facts. I'd be interested to see links to real data, lab-controlled crash tests, etc.
I was referring to the op's question about "convertible" helmets, not modular. I believe I referenced the video from fort9 where he talks about the nolan n70 convertible helmet. Just look on YouTube if you need to find it.

If you look at bell's convertible helmets they specify that the face piece is for looks and protection from bugs and the like only. They point out that it's not for crash protection.

I tried to point out my stance on wanting to make sure my jaw and face in general has real protection in the form of my modular and full face helmets vs. the convertible options. That's my opinion. You don't need to agree with me, nor I with you, but we do need to accept that each one is entitled to their come to their own decisions on what level of protection is right for their own head.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
... snipped ... I hope I didn't just come across as a holier-than-thou type of person, regarding rider protection. It's all about personal decisions of trade-offs.
Maybe just a teensy weensy bit ... lol 😉 ... but then, you, like all of us are entitled to your opinion. And yes, it's all about risk management and making compromised decisions that we are personally comfortable with. For the record (not that it should matter to anyone), I share the majority of the positions you have taken ... not all ... but most.

Having said the above, I sincerely appreciate your detailed and experience based insights. For the most part, what you wrote is supported by real world realities and data and no one can criticize anyone who believes what they believe based on extensive, life long, first hand experience.

Thank you for sharing yours wspollack -- great post (y) !.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
As i promised here are few pics of my new LS2 Valiant2
Very nice romano_st. For the record, I also purchased one this past weekend. It's the Orbit Jeans model with the reflective highlights. I didn't have a choice as it was the last one that I could find and it came at a very attractive price. Looking forward to seeing if my research paid off ... I sure hope so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very nice romano_st. For the record, I also purchased one this past weekend. It's the Orbit Jeans model with the reflective highlights. I didn't have a choice as it was the last one that I could find and it came at a very attractive price. Looking forward to seeing if my research paid off ... I sure hope so.
Yours is also very nice, i was also checking that one, but as i like single color helmets i went with
titan matte and it will match my burgman

41 - 49 of 49 Posts