Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I've spent hours researching modular helmets. It's time to replace my older GMAX 27S 3/4 jet fighter helmet which has served me well but is starting to show it's age i.e. looser fit (no replacement pads available, I broke some plastic screws when dismantling it to clean all the bits, some cracking of the soft plastic neck collar etc.

I've always been intrigued by the flip UP modular helmets ... more specifically the 180* FLIP OVER helmets. I've eliminate all of the flip UP only helmets due to fit, price, functionality/features or country availability. This included the Schuberth C4 Pro, Shoei Neotec II, AGV Sportmodular and X-Lite X1005 simply based on price, the Nolan N100-5 and Bell SRT based on them only being a flip UP vs. a FLIP OVER, the HJC RPHA 90S based on fit and the Scorpion EXO Tech and ROOF R09 based on them not being available in Canada (or North America I believe) even though they are FLIP OVER units.

I will not buy a helmet on-line that I can't try on first. To expensive to return and too much hassle in my opinion. That leaves me with the LS2 Valiant II or the recently launched/ES updated SHARK EVO GT as my only choices and the new Shark is still very rare here in Canada and no where to try one on for fit. I like the improvements I've read and seen in the reviews that have been made to the LS2 Valiant II helmet over it's predecessor the original Valiant. I tried one on and it seems to fit me well from all the size, head shape etc. criteria albeit it feels a bit weird never having worn a modular or full face before. I guess I'l get used to the chipmunk cheeks pressure and tighter feel. That could be because it was brand new too as my is beyond being well broken in.

My question is: does anybody have any heads on experience with either of these two helmets (the newer LS2 Valiant II or the SHARK EVO GT) and what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
672 Posts
+1 on the modular helmet design. Easier on glasses wearers and I can open the helmet anywhere, anytime. Let me add that safety wise, having that full face design out front can save you some real hurt. Have a friend that went down on his bike and slid along those rumble strips on his face plate. He thanks his lucky stars he was wearing his modular! On the other hand, the story wad told a number of years ago on a different blog of some Canadians that crossed into Montana on their trip to Sturgis. One of them took off his helmet for that freedom feeling and happened to get in an accident on I90. His head slid over same rumble strips. Outcome was fatal. Won't catch me without my Nolan modular on two wheels!
Regards, Jim

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been knocked off bikes twice, both times the front of my modular was destroyed, scraped down to the bare poly. They held up well and did their job. I'm unfamiliar with the Flip Over helmet, I've used modular helmets for years. I just ordered an HJC i90 modular Davan

HJC Helmet (hjchelmets.us)

HJC i90 Davan Helmet - Cycle Gear

It's their replacement for the IS-Max II, a helmet that fit my oval head shape well. Great reviews, good build quality, quiet for a modular. And, 10 % off right now at participating vendors !

·
Administrator
20,701 Posts
I too do not know what "Flip Over" is.

My Vega Summit II took a hard shot in the concrete wall and then lots of bangs in the rumble strips at 70 MPH. I slid over 450 feet before I stopped. The chin bar did not break. Pictures do not show the right chin that was ground down thru many layers.

Picture 3 is my front tire marks 5 years later. You can see the rumble strips I remember sliding down.

bike trash 058.JPG
bike trash 057.JPG
Tire mark.jpg

Reactions: suziblu and s-steel

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Flip vs modular, uh, I too have had the chin guard gnawed down to the bone, and the modular beats full face for a few reasons in my book, I look at the flip and think "why" other than looks. I cannot see myself when I have my helmet on and don't care what other people think abut what I look like so looks are zero value to me. Idid at one point think maybe the chin guard was responsible for broken collar bones, but then decided I would rather have a broken collar bone than half a lower jaw bone, yer refreshin beverages wouldn't leak out of a broken collar bone.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Flip vs modular, I look at the flip and think "why" other than looks.
Indeed. I either want an open face helmet, or covered. I'll stay covered, thanks. I looked at my first modular as a compromise, perhaps weaker than a full face, but with the ability to flip up at gas\photo\hydration breaks, and have since discovered them to be strong and safe enough for crashing and saving my ugly mug.

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
1,924 Posts
I used to wear a modular helmet but then was feeling the down side of them... litteraly.
I did like that I could raise the chin bar to take a drink but found I would more often just take it off when I stopped for a rest. Only certain design of glasses worked well to leave on when putting on a modular helmet and many that I've worn didn't work out so well so I found I was putting on my glasses after putting on the helmet anyway. The down side I was feeling is that it is WAY too tempting to leave the chin bar up while riding (an incredibly stupid move IMO). I didn't do that very much 'cuz every time I did it hurt my neck. If you really need the chin bar up while riding you'd be better off not wearing a helmet or choosing an open face helmet instead. That chin bar in the up or even back position puts a lot more weight where it shouldn't be than you realize and neck strain can easily result, especially while being blown about by the wind while riding. Also I was beginning to feel not as safe with the chin bar latches vs. a solid chin bar of a full face helmet. It's better than an open face, or 3/4, helmet with no chin bar but not nearly as strong as a solid chin bar. My very first helmet when I first started riding and didn't know any better was an open face helmet. My next bike, after several years of not riding but learning much more, was with a full face helmet. The I tried modulars since I was wearing glasses. But as I stated that purpose became moot so after a few of those I returned to the full face helmets. They are lighter and stronger and provide so much better protection.

But as has been said in other places and in other forums. The choice is yours what to wear. Just be sure it fits right by trying it on if at all possible. And not just for a few seconds but wear it for 20-30 mins to determine if it really does fit and not cause pressure in places around your head.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The issue with most of the convertible helmets like you're talking about is that they're really 3/4 helmets in full face disguse. The chin bar is there pretty much for looks from what I've read and videos I've watched. If you want a chin bar get an actual modular/full face helmet that will protect your face when/if the time come that you need it.

I was looking at the nolan n70 and ruled it out because of the faux chin bar and the heavy weight of the helmet.

Fort9 on YouTube had a review of it a while back that was pretty informative.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
maccecht is correct. youll get tons of opinions but fit and finish is a subjective thing

Ive only ever owned full face helmets. never flip up or half helmet. mostly arai flagship ff helmet. had a bad accident with one and fell right on my chin. the whole front of the helmet had it scuffed down to the composite plastic visor was white like Dave's helmet

ive also owned shark rsr2. bad quality. ls2 bad quality. caberg. good quality. agv gp-tech dreamtime helmet. horrible quiality never again. they should be ashamed. nolan/xlite I heard are good quality, hjc have never fitted me well. shoei, high level. scorpion very good quality for the money. not sure if bell has a flip back but they are nice helmets as well. not sure about icon or all the newcomers that are popping up every week.

ive owned the most as arai flaship FF helmets. loved the small size, but no more. anyone whos had one can attest to the primitve side pods and pita visor removal system. though the detent-less, friction visor is a huge convenience. but they always love whistling. years back when they were selling the rr4 on ebay for $400, arai put a stop to that and forced specific selling prices. they started selling for $550 for gloss black and replicas were another $100

some today are just way way too large and heavy. if it cant fit under a b400 seat., its a bad design imo

one thing I will recommend is that u always go for the smallest size you can fit. I thought I was a large or mostly medium, but really im a small when an arai seller fitted me. with arai they have a lot of shell sizes so you can get a smaller sized helmet and they will change the pads inside to be thinner to fit you better. not certain but most of them have a S/M shell and one for L/Xl I think

it should fit snug around your cheeks. kind of like your grandma squeezing both cheeks with one hand makiing you look like a fish. in a months time they will stretch out. you dont want tons of wiggling later on.
good luck.

btw, goto webbikeworld. they have great guides and reviews on helemts. not sure wth happened to them since they revamped their site. its not the same.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Going by your description you are screwed fella. Opinions won't matter you need to try before you buy.
Read the first sentence of the third paragraph.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been knocked off bikes twice, both times the front of my modular was destroyed, scraped down to the bare poly. They held up well and did their job. I'm unfamiliar with the Flip Over helmet, I've used modular helmets for years. I just ordered an HJC i90 modular Davan

HJC Helmet (hjchelmets.us)

HJC i90 Davan Helmet - Cycle Gear

It's their replacement for the IS-Max II, a helmet that fit my oval head shape well. Great reviews, good build quality, quiet for a modular. And, 10 % off right now at participating vendors !
I tried the HJC. Nice lid but didn't fit my head at all.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is one - Question you ask yourself when its flipped - "Am I feeling lucky?"
View attachment 93508 View attachment 93509
I have a GMAX 27S 3/4 jet fighter style lid right now so I am used to having my chin unprotected. As I get older and more "seasoned", increasingly, I am becoming less comfortable with a naked chin. Feedback from others also suggest they'd prefer me completely covered up!

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
maccecht is correct. youll get tons of opinions but fit and finish is a subjective thing

Ive only ever owned full face helmets. never flip up or half helmet. mostly arai flagship ff helmet. had a bad accident with one and fell right on my chin. the whole front of the helmet had it scuffed down to the composite plastic visor was white like Dave's helmet

ive also owned shark rsr2. bad quality. ls2 bad quality. caberg. good quality. agv gp-tech dreamtime helmet. horrible quiality never again. they should be ashamed. nolan/xlite I heard are good quality, hjc have never fitted me well. shoei, high level. scorpion very good quality for the money. not sure if bell has a flip back but they are nice helmets as well. not sure about icon or all the newcomers that are popping up every week.

ive owned the most as arai flaship FF helmets. loved the small size, but no more. anyone whos had one can attest to the primitve side pods and pita visor removal system. though the detent-less, friction visor is a huge convenience. but they always love whistling. years back when they were selling the rr4 on ebay for $400, arai put a stop to that and forced specific selling prices. they started selling for $550 for gloss black and replicas were another $100

some today are just way way too large and heavy. if it cant fit under a b400 seat., its a bad design imo

one thing I will recommend is that u always go for the smallest size you can fit. I thought I was a large or mostly medium, but really im a small when an arai seller fitted me. with arai they have a lot of shell sizes so you can get a smaller sized helmet and they will change the pads inside to be thinner to fit you better. not certain but most of them have a S/M shell and one for L/Xl I think

it should fit snug around your cheeks. kind of like your grandma squeezing both cheeks with one hand makiing you look like a fish. in a months time they will stretch out. you dont want tons of wiggling later on.
good luck.

btw, goto webbikeworld. they have great guides and reviews on helemts. not sure wth happened to them since they revamped their site. its not the same.
Good insights s-steel ... thanks. I've spent many hours researching and reviewing all of the helmets I listed in my original post. I think modular lids have come a long way ... especially the latest generations of modulars on the market. And they seem to be getting better with every iteration. I would certainly never buy a lid that I couldn't try on and wear for at least 20-30 minutes before deciding. No hot spots for me thanks.

Regarding your cheek comment, it made me smile. In my youth, I knew a priest who would greet you by grabbing and shaking both of your cheeks all the while pinching them fairly hard. The first time I tried on the LS2 Valiant II lid, it gave me "chipmunk" cheeks and I immediately thought of that priest. lol

·
Registered
199 Posts
As I get older and more "seasoned", increasingly, I am becoming less comfortable with a naked chin.
Well, l'm certainly seasoned! But been wary of openface helmets since the early 70s when l was almost written off by an errant postvan!
I had on a "full face bubble" visor.That was written off. Instead of my face.
After that I bought the first full-face helmet that I could afford, when they became available. But now I am happy with flip-up type (modular?), provided it is kite-marked.(EU/UK safety standard). If people want to use the flip-OVER type, open, then best of luck to them. (They probably ride in shorts and sandals too, on occasion - another story).

EDIT - ref #17 - my helmet weighs 1650 grams, 3.6 pounds. - Modern materials lighter?
I think modular lids have come a long way ... especially the latest generations of modulars on the market. And they seem to be getting better with every iteration

·
Registered
26 Posts
I started with a modular helmet and it was convenient, but it was heavy...weighed 6 lbs. I have a scorpion exo-t510 in solid hi-viz that's a regular full face helmet. It weighs 3.5 lbs. Not as convenient as a modular, but it's more comfortable being almost half the weight. People see that solid highlighter yellow too. Have had way less incidents of people pulling out in front of me or cutting me off since I got it. I get lots of double takes because of it, so I know it's catching people's attention.

To me, if people see me, I'll have less opportunities to "try it out" and see if it protects my head in the 1st place. That's as important to me as the type and rating of the helmet.

I got it on sale at revzilla for $159 from the list $229.

Only downside is that it's a loud helmet with wind noise, but I wear earplugs.

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
1,924 Posts
@Dave_J , I thought only trick riders put their tires half way up a barricade? The rest of us like to keep the rubber side down... on the road. Was that during one of your speed tests?
Glad you're still around to keep us in line.

@suziblu , Yeah, I think you'd look funny without a chin.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
Regarding your cheek comment, it made me smile. In my youth, I knew a priest who would greet you by grabbing and shaking both of your cheeks all the while pinching them fairly hard. The first time I tried on the LS2 Valiant II lid, it gave me "chipmunk" cheeks and I immediately thought of that priest. lol
AArgh I think if he'd done that to my sensitive baby face we'd know what ba99s on a priest are good for,,, KICKIN!!!

·
Administrator
20,701 Posts
@Dave_J , I thought only trick riders put their tires half way up a barricade? The rest of us like to keep the rubber side down... on the road. Was that during one of your speed tests?
Glad you're still around to keep us in line.

@suziblu , Yeah, I think you'd look funny without a chin.
Not a speed test. That was the one with the flying tire that hit me. I hit that barrier at 75 MPH at a 45 degree angle.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts