Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a recent thread I wrote how much I enjoyed my bikes virtually completely stock (my modifications are just a riser for the stock backrest, seat pad and a Tbox for the 650). I met with some resistance to this stance from the Mods, or Moders (those who like to modify their bikes in my vernacular). its understandable for someone who's spends a lot of time and money perfecting their bike to extol the virtues of their efforts to someone such as myself, a "stocker", as I'm not experienced with them. I rather enjoy the information.

In my responses I noted that Mods may have undue influence, especially to newbies, as they're always writing in about the new performance enhancement they've done. While we Stockers don't much add to a conversation other than, "I rode today". Yes the Stocker position gets very little face time on the board.

So I propose, if you're a Stocker, this is a good opportunity to speak up and say so. Perhaps say why you enjoy the Burgman just the way Suzuki designed it.

If you're a Moder, what is the one mod you couldn't live without? What is the most important item you can change on a Burgman that would really give a Stocker food for thought? Something that really enhances the bike, with few downsides.

FYI, this is meant to be a pleasant, informative discussion. I'm NOT trying to pit one group against another. The title is purely for humorous affect; a play on words as it were. ;)

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Being a geezer (67) I am of a generation that targets modifications at improved "performance", defined as optimizing engine output and the time needed to get from point A to B--be point B the next stoplight or the white line 1320 feet away from where I started. <-- that is a period[/] as in "that's all I have to say about that."

Note that there is no mention in that statement re: fuel economy. For that I drove dead stock Corollas for 15 years while commuting with kids in college. In 2006 I broke that thread and bought a 2003 Mustang GT; just this year I retired that for a 1998 Mercedes SL500, my 6000 SUX which at top end will pass most anything but a gas station.

"Stock" is by definition both a generality and a mediocrity; a state of fit and tune deemed by the manufacturer to meet the desires and needs of 99.44% of the market. If that floats your boat then that's cool. However for many seeking to maximize MPG (which seems to be a "scooter" thing) or high performance (a somewhat odd discussion on a motor scooter forum) it doesn't fit the bill--that's why they (and I) change things...

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
My '650 is an '05, and has remained stock since new, with only minor, reversible (and, in fact, reversed) changes.

The first was to connect wiring to support heated clothing. I haven't really needed it since I moved back to Southern California, so I took it back out again.
The second has been mounting stuff to the handlebar cover. For a road trip, I attached a satellite radio receiver to the center cover with loops of velcro threaded through the gap between the halves of the cover then around underneath it, and secured its antenna to the left brake reservoir with zip ties. Since then, I've mounted a bracket for my cellphone in a similar manner. I leave the loops of velcro in place when I remove the bracket, to ease installation.

Other than that, it's stock. I figure I'll eventually do something about the windshield and seat, but they've never bothered me enough to be worth the trouble of upgrading them.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that. Great perspective. I didn't even think about mpg mods.

But there are many other mods as well. The meager few I have are for comfort. There are mods for ride, sound, looks, storage, or just cool things to have. My friend has a 650 that's completely tricked out for touring; huge bags, cruise control, trailer, etc. He really decked it out as he likes camping.

I'd love to have a few people form a consensus of one mod that really enhances the bike. I'd be interested in checking that one out for myself. But as it is, these recommendations are somewhat scattered throughout all the thousands of postings. It's hard to draw a bead on which one riders find most useful/enjoyable/necessary.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've mounted a bracket for my cellphone in a similar manner. I leave the loops of velcro in place when I remove the bracket, to ease installation.
Okay Rusty, you jarred my memory. I did add a mount for Satnav on both bikes. That's a great mod for me as I'm often ride captain.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, I can toss my 2 cents in I guess...

I will throw 2 mods out there as "can't live without" mods. 1st is a set of grip puppies which make the grips larger and more comfy for my hands especially on long trips and the second is my Bearcat backrest with added back pad which makes it feel like your sitting on a nice comfy couch. Both are comfort based mods or add-ons actually and make a world of difference on med and long range trips and are relatively cheap compared to a lot of upgrades.

I have a pair of progressive rear shocks that I am going to put on over this winter and I need to do some fix-up on my Burg (it was a bit beat up when I purchased it) which is mostly paint/clean-up and am going to add some flair to it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm mostly in the stock category with bikes. Except for something like a phone holder (RAM Mount) and a power plug my ZX6 is stock. Except for the add-on trike kit my wife's Burgman is stock.
I am planning on adding Back-Off tail light flashers to both bikes and I am considering adding an Ohlin steering damper to the ZX6.

I guess the only mods I really care about are those that improve handling and/or safety.

·
Registered
230 Posts
As a bike mechanic and a buyer and seller of motorcycles I have found that stock sell quicker than modified as people like to personal there bike to there taste this is more so on older bikes pre 90s.As for modern bikes its mostly cosmetic stuff,,,eg,top box, heated grips, bigger or shorter screen and more recent navmans,cameras,and bolt on gadgets' I for one like things fairly stock so a top box is a must for me and a helmet cam(this is only recent as the new laws in Queensland Australia have deemed that 3 or more riders are not allowed to be seen riding together un less you have notified police of you ride itinerary ,its all about cracking down on bikie 1% to rid the state of them so any one on a bike is fare game. Been pulled over twice and asked if I have any bikie affiliations and any tattoos which might deem me as an affiliate. The government must think that all the bikies are in hiding and riding scooters )sorry for all that just ticks me of. Were was I oh yes mostly stock for me

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm a stocker, I don't change seats, backrest, luggage, racks, etc. I do add for a GPS mount, or I-Phone mount, which is no more then a Ram bracket. I usually have several motorcycles at one time and I do pick a bike that fits me, not buy one and make it fit me. Mods are pretty much an extension of their owner personality, me I'm just a plain, dull, person, like my rides. :rolleyes:

John

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I think it will be hard to come up with a single mod that all will agree on. That is because people are different and find different things good or bad. What one will be passionately for another will be passionately against.

As an example. Many folks like to add larger grips to bikes saying they are more comfortable. Others like myself find the smaller grips more comfortable. That is in spite of the fact that I have large hands. Maybe it is just because every bike I ever owned had 7/8 inch bars and I am use to the smaller size. However, I have a friend that bought a used bike that was fitted with grip puppies. They were pulled off and trashed before she had gone 100 miles. She found them uncomfortable too. Like I said, different strokes for different folks.

For me the best two mods I made on my 650 were the Corbin long seat and the Clearview large windshield with vent. Others would disagree with that, especially the Corbin seat.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have a topbox, grip puppies, Givi Airflow, butt stop razed for a backrest, cup holder, something like a Cramp Buster but it is rubber and real small, GPS holder, beads on my seat and an Airflow seat cushion. Other than that it's stock. :p
Now I apologize for hijacking this thread but I've got to say bikersmurff this is amazing for me to hear. :eek:

and a helmet cam(this is only recent as the new laws in Queensland Australia have deemed that 3 or more riders are not allowed to be seen riding together un less you have notified police of you ride itinerary ,its all about cracking down on bikie 1% to rid the state of them so any one on a bike is fare game. Been pulled over twice and asked if I have any bikie affiliations and any tattoos which might deem me as an affiliate.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I ride just about every day except when the roads are ice covered.
I went stock for a few months until I found things which irked me and 'fixed' them as I went along.
All of my mods and farkles come under comfort, safety (perceived and actual) and ease of use.
Presently I have a Bestem 949 top box with all the lights installed, grip heaters, power take off for heated clothing, louder horn w/relay setup, LED tail lamps (bright by gum!), front marker light mod (1156 to 1157 conversion), volt meter (built into the lower handlebar cover), Utopia backrest and a power bus setup in the front to relieve the current draw through the ignition switch and power all my stuff.

I am looking at a RAM mount system for a cup holder, GPS holder and future camera holder. I am also looking into all the threads for more light in the front. At highway speeds, I am over-running my headlamps when set to low. (It could be as simple as sitting on the scoot and adjusting the lights higher.)

I do not think of myself as a moder type but, after looking at the list, I may need to rethink my position. ;-)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hmm. When I read the thread header I was thinking this meant alterations of the drive train for more power - louder exhaust etc. I don't see grip puppies as a 'modification' in that sense. I've done a few things to my 650 exec - the Clearview windshield and backrest - thats it. I consider my 650 'stock' - adding grip puppies does not make it 'modified' IMO. Modified to me means changing out cams - FI components gear ratios and final drive - etc for more power. My 71 Karmann Ghia is 'modified'. It has a high compression 2110cc motor with dual Weber 44IDF carbs - cam - racing heads - ceramic coated exhaust etc. That car is modified. And it has an after-market air conditioner.

·
Administrator
18,742 Posts
Eh, hello, My name is Dave and I am a Modder. I have been a Modder my whole life. I have been know to Mod in a public place with spectators watching, I even Mod alone when no one is looking. :twisted:

The mod's I have done are:
Givi windshield, Must (have for me).
Bearcat backrest, nice.
LED with SPDT relay front turnsignal to running lights, MUST.
Rear stoplight flasher and BRIGHT LED's, MUST.
Heated grips, nice.
Progerssive rear shocks and springs, more than nice but not a must.
Front Goldwing spring mod, also more than nice but not a must.
Darkside..... MUST. :D
Fenderectomy, looks only, NOT needed.
Front Fender extender, Must to keep crap out of radiator.
Throttlemister cruse control bar end weight, nice.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eh, hello, My name is Dave and I am a Modder. I have been a Modder my whole life. I have been know to Mod in a public place with spectators watching, I even Mod alone when no one is looking. :twisted:
Lol, very funny. :cool:

Is there one mod that you think most important?

·
Administrator
18,742 Posts
Yeah, lights. I think the mod of rear brakelight modulating and the super bright LED's have kept many SUV's off my backside. You can see road signs behind me glow in my red brakelight over 1/2 mile behind me.

I know that the amber glow of my front turnsignals has caught the attention of drivers beside me.

I know that if you were to put revolving lights and strobes on, the SUV drivers would still not see you.

The Fender extender if you ride in a lot of rain and crap. It keeps the crap out of the radiator.

·
Registered
515 Posts
A long time ago I was part owner of a company that did Dyno development and testing for the major car manufacturers in Detroit. When interviewing potential job applicants I always wanted to know what they drove or rode . What i found was the Stockers ( those who drove or rode stock machinery) were mostly boring had no real drive or much ambition , but made good solid employees who followed instructions and we could depend on getting accurate data from test runs. The Modifiers ( you know who you are) were a handful to manage , always wanted to try something not in the test run specifications , they still produced accurate data and were more fun to be around. Many went on to great careers in engineering and on various race teams. I determined from my observance of both groups , that even though they claimed to be stockers, no one who worked with me was STOCK , they were all slightly modified

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I don't think very many if any on this site are running a "true" OEM stock Burgman. Stock tires, oil & filter brand, those just left me out. As there aren't many "MORE" power options, most changes folks have made have been for safety (lights etc), comfort (backrest, windshield, seat grips) touring (top & or side boxes, GPS) looks (paint, pin stripes).
I added Grip puppies, back off stop lights, HD headlight bulbs, backrest & pin stripes, on both my 400 & 650. Windshield & 19 gram sliders on my 400 & darksided my 650.
To me the back rest is the one thing I couldn't do without on either.;)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I did a few small changes to my first few Burgmans, but this time I went overboard.
New seat, new backrest, new paint job, Rostra cruise, flashing brake lights, blinkers and riding lights, 2 usb ports, ram mounts for gps and cup holder, givi windshield, soon to be heated seat and effect lighting.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I did a few small changes to my first few Burgmans, but this time I went overboard.
New seat, new backrest, new paint job, Rostra cruise, flashing brake lights, blinkers and riding lights, 2 usb ports, ram mounts for gps and cup holder, givi windshield, soon to be heated seat and effect lighting.
But which is your favorite? The one you couldn't do without was the question.

Personally, I wouldn't want to ride without my backrest extension. It adds hours of riding to my day. Oh so comfy it is. :cool:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts