Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Are you ok with moderators editing your post with no indication it was edited OR why it was edited?

• yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • no

Votes: 8 44.4%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
poll: Are you ok with moderators editing your post with no indication it was edited OR why it was edited?
But how it was edited i do. Spelling, punctuation, clarify a thought. Negate improper untruths. The original thought within bounds should be preserved. Never pervert the content to change the original intent of the post. I would give a guarded concent

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
It's a tough job being an editor - damned if you do and damned if you don't.

But I don't think it's fair to make changes to the opinions expressed by someone without noting that edits were made. That's misrepresenting the original poster's message.

But all that is needed is to highlight the change in italics and a note: (ed.)

"I really like my Burgman (ed.)"

The only problem is people will be asking who is Ed!! :p

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've been on sites that the software automatically changes words, like cursing, other competing sites and certain banned words. The only way I found out about this auto correct procedure was from a random topic like this.

This is all done without a moderator input...the beginnings of an AI? I dunno.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I did not know posts were being edited except for duplicate threads from one member being condensed or put under the right forum.

That said this is not a democracy. We signed up on this forum and agreed to have no say on how it is run. If someone is not happy they need to spend more time on Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, or any other motorcycle forum.

I don't even remember what I posted two days ago anyway so it's a mute point to me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mods are unpaid volunteers who don't have time, nor do they particularly care, to alter our posts.
As long as things stay civil, most things are good.
If they're changing spelling or sentence structure, it's only to keep things more legible.
The Forum isn't a reflection on its Mods, but its members and contributors.
If anyone cares to view a Forum whose members' IQs can easily be recognized as lower than the US male's life expectancy, I can shoot you a link to a specific GeeZerr Forum. She's a real beauty, so get out your ciphering tools, and pretend you're back in grade school. You'll get the hang of it in no time.
Keeping things orderly makes me seem smarter than I be. I'm good wit it that weigh. ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Edit but tell why.

Reactions: JOHNY 650

·
Registered
2008 AN400
200 Posts
Wait, are we talking a real human editor, who goes in and corrects spelling and grammar, or an automated filter on the forum app where the Mods decide a certain list of words is verboten (like German, for instance ;)) and this common incorrectly-spelled word will be replaced by this word, e.g.: Brrrugman... and then it just happens automatically?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Both are fine in my mind?
Moderating yes. Spelling/ grammar correction, other than maybe “Bergman”, ( because you want better search hits, etc…) , I say no.
Some here purposely spell put grammar wrong on purpose to give an impression. One frequent poster has 4-5 grammatical misspellings on every other post ( not saying who😁) My guess it’s done on purpose, to give a personality impression across the internet. I can’t see Moderators being charged with correcting everyone’s spelling “mistakes “

1 - 20 of 24 Posts