Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

We know that you MOrons are a diverse bunch, but we really want to know what kinds of motorcycles you’ve all owned. In fact, we’re sure that you come in as many shapes and sizes as motorcycles do. So, we decided to do a little investigating – just for yucks. So, humor us, if you will, take a look at the survey, and vote for all the kinds of bikes you’ve owned.
Read more about the MO Survey: What Types Of Motorcycles Have You Owned? at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I have been riding for over 55 years and never knew what the "official" bike classifications were--they ones I know are:

• "big iron";
  • 'Jap wan'na be big iron";
  • "Jap touring bikes";
  • "crotch rockets";
  • "UJM" -- Universal Japanese Motorcycles and other odd-ball bikes they make for who knows what market;
  • "dirt bikes";
  • "serious scooters" (250cc+);
  • "toy scooters, mopeds, minibikes and the like";
I have owned at least one or more of each except a hard-core crotch rocket--though I had an '87 V-Max that came close...

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have been riding for over 55 years and never knew what the "official" bike classifications were--they ones I know are:

• "big iron";
    'Jap wan'na be big iron";
    "Jap touring bikes";
    "crotch rockets";
    "UJM" -- Universal Japanese Motorcycles and other odd-ball bikes they make for who knows what market;
    "dirt bikes";
    "serious scooters" (250cc+);
    "toy scooters, mopeds, minibikes and the like";
I have owned at least one or more of each except a hard-core crotch rocket--though I had an '87 V-Max that came close...
Think this list is on point but with all these companies like HD making for bikes for the lighter woman, there are some added categories.

Little big iron
Pull up your skirt big iron
And so on...

I want shocked to see some guys jumping to the new HD 500 being its not expensive and it's very easy to ride. Problem is you can get blown around the freeway worse then my old 400 Majesty!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Dual Sport, Super Sport, Hyper Sport, Touring, Sport Touring, Super Moto, Adventure, Naked, Super Naked, Street Fighter, Cruiser, Muscle Cruiser, Bagger, Chopper, Bobber, Factory Custom, Scooter, Maxi-Scooter, Standard, UJM, Retro, Classic, Beginner, Commuter, Moto Cross, Dirt Bike, Trials, Pit Bike, Monkey Bike, Mini Bike, Moped, Vintage...

We're all riders and would like one of each but don't have garages or wallets big enough. :grin

·
Registered
469 Posts
Types of motorcycles

Since 1960, I have had just about one of everything, even when there were not so many labels.......
Always ride safely and keep your airspeed under control.

TW

·
Banned
901 Posts
Having always thought of myself as a "sport-touring/touring" type of guy, but was surprised to realize I'd owned most of the group's mentioned. Interesting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My experience is quite a mix over 45 yrs. I started with dirt bikes several at a time all five of us were riders, then a brief time with a chopper I got in trade. In 2004 we moved to Cape Coral FL and I had just bought a 750 Honda Shadow, moved up to a Honda VTX 1800 and back surgery took me out of play, I sold the 1800 and bought a Harley trike kit, built it and didn't like the trike ride, sold it and bought a 400cc Yamaha Majesty. I started ridding with a scooter group near Ft Myers Beach. It wasn't long and I was back on a VTX 1800 again. Then went looking looking for a scoot with air ride, cruise control and hard bags. A Yamaha Royal Star tour deluxe fit the bill. Then we were on the road and you cant take all the toys with you,(40' motor home and 24' trailer). We sold the Yamaha RSTD and got a 650 Burg in trade yet never planned to keep it, a year passed and I bought a 1100 shadow to keep at our newly purchased home in North Fort Myers, meanwhile I had been buying ATV's to ride when spending summers in MI sold the Honda to buy a 800cc ATV, now with my wife being very busy with activities in our retirement community I said I would like something to ride again the 8 months we spend in FL I picked up a 2003, 650 Burg with only 7500 mi. Sorry for the long winded introduction to the type of bikes I have owned.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Pull Start, Kick Start and Push Button Start....I like pushing buttons.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Have tried many of the different categories of bikes, but not owned a lot of bikes.
Started with a small dual sport. An AMF Harley 125 that gave me the stereotypical HD experience... Oil injector dried up and bike spent the first winter in pieces taking up my one car garage with the engine removed to be rebuilt. Had the Harley shop bore out the cylinder and I replaced all the damaged parts (new piston and double oversized ring kit, new gaskets, new oil injector, and bored out block) and reassembled without the aid of a service manual. Ended up with something closer to a 130cc. Seemed like the big bore Harley bikers that hung out around the shop looked at me with reserved respect when I carried that block into and then out of the shop with a bag full of parts. It was winter in Maine so I think they assumed my BIG HD was put up for the off season. :cool:
Then 19 years later jumped to a Vulcan 750 cruiser. The foot forward controls and typical cruiser slouch was killer on my bod after only 20 minutes riding so never really rode farther than that.
Next up was another jump to a GL1500 Gold Wing. Then my first Burgman 650. Then the ST1100 (sport touring) followed by the CTX1300 (not really in any category other than possibly rebel/contrary cruiser/tourer bike). And now my 2013 Burgman 650.

After trying various categories I knew what worked for me and what didn't. I liked the Burgman the best even though it wasn't the most comfy to ride (first one). Still could ride it as far as my ST but not nearly as far as the GW and especially the CTX (WAS the LD choice for me until I sat on the Corbin seat I now have). The CTX was the best stock seat. This second Burgman 650 is the best for me for LD with the Corbin seat, even better than the CTX stock. (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts