Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 winter tires on my minivan. The 2 front ones are bald and the 2 back ones have about 6/32 " left. I am told that this is because it is a front wheel drive vehicle. I wanted to just order 2 for the front but was told that mixing new and used tires is a no-no. It may not be the best thing to do and if money grew on trees, I would replace all 4 in an instant but we all know that isn't the case, So......... can I get away with still using/keeping the 2 on back or not?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
How much is the new tread depth? And how much of that new tread depth is 6/32? If new tread depth is 8/32, then you're close to new tires on the rear. But if it is 12/32s, then you have half worn tires on the rear. Places like Costco have sales on Michelin tires where you get like $70 off by buying four tires. That basically pays for a tire, so you'd get four tires for the price of three. Other tire shops do the same thing.

I don't know how much snow you get, but perhaps this experience will give you something to think about because the same principle applies in rain. I was stationed at Griffiss AFB in Rome, NY. Rome gets about 12 feet of annual snowfall in town. Being cheap, I put two actual snow tires on the front axle of the Audi 5000S that we had at the time, and the rear tires were all weather radials. I thought that would be fine and save me money instead of buying four snow tires. I almost wrecked the car several times because of trying to go cheap.

I'll try to describe what happened. The snow tires on the front wheels (much like putting new tires only on your front axle) had good traction...let's say up to 25-30 mph. The rear tires had lost their traction at about 15-20 mph...but were just following along behind. All was well while the car was traveling straight. But that changed when I took a turn. The front wheels still had good traction and made the turn. The rear tires kept going straight and didn't follow because they were like skis behind me. The car swapped ends in the intersection. Luckily, there was no one else in the normally busy intersection, or besides having one of those "oh my gosh!" moments, I'd have an expensive insurance claim to make.

It happened another time, plus once when my wife was supposed to pick me up at the airport in Syracuse. She showed up a couple hours late. As she was going down I-90, a gust of wind slammed the car in the side. She made a couple of 360s in the center of the freeway as the car swapped ends several times in the snow. No warning on any of these situations.

I'd buy four new tires and look for one of those sales that'll help keep the cost down. I'd also rotate my tires so I never got into the situation of being bald on one axle, and still good on the other. Many tire dealers offer tire rotation for free, so it is only a matter of how much inconvenience you have to live with.

Chris

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Do you rotate your tires on a regular basis? Very important to do so. It will extend the life of the tires. Never run tires down to BALDNESS.. :?

If you need tires, go to Discount Tire and get one of their credit cards, get your tires and 6 months NO INTEREST. I guarantee you can find a set of tires that will fit your budget and keep you safe. Yes there is a method to replacing tires on a car.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/replacing-tires.htm

tomfelock said:
I have 4 winter tires on my minivan. The 2 front ones are bald and the 2 back ones have about 6/32 " left. I am told that this is because it is a front wheel drive vehicle. I wanted to just order 2 for the front but was told that mixing new and used tires is a no-no. It may not be the best thing to do and if money grew on trees, I would replace all 4 in an instant but we all know that isn't the case, So......... can I get away with still using/keeping the 2 on back or not?

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am now convinced that not replacing all 4 at the same time is what I call false economy. By the way, If one belongs to the Pep Boys club, they rotate tires for free - which I will also have done. Just ignore them when they tell u that u need 2 thousand dollars in other uneeded repairs too - haha!!

·
Premium Member
8,164 Posts
when mixing new and used automobile tires, use a very large and sturdy spoon

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It doesn't hurt a thing to have different tires on the front and rear as long as you do not have an AWD vehicle where they all need to turn at the same speed. I've been doing it since 1962.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
If you want tires and tire service, DISCOUNT TIRE is THE only place to go. Period. They do tires. They ONLY do tires. They don't do alignments, oil changes, mufflers, shocks, blah blah blah blah. They don't suggest repairs, unnecessary and unneeded repairs, etc. If they were not the best they would not have 800+ stores and turning profit in a down economy. Bruce Halle KNOWS how to treat his employees right, which in turn, treat customers right.

"Six Tires, No Plan".. I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Six-Tires-Plan-Im ... 1608322572

Read this and too will know why I've only bought tires from DT for 23+ years.

If you keep your tires rotated properly, you will get the most wear and life out of your tires, hands down.

tomfelock said:
I am now convinced that not replacing all 4 at the same time is what I call false economy. By the way, If one belongs to the Pep Boys club, they rotate tires for free - which I will also have done. Just ignore them when they tell u that u need 2 thousand dollars in other uneeded repairs too - haha!!

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already bought 8 winter tires ( 4 for each of my 2 minivans) from Tire Rack (an online outfit). Quantem - would I have saved money if I knew about ur place before I bought mine and bought them at ur place? (discount tires)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
There is nothing wrong with buying just 2 tires, but keep them on the same axle. Costco will sell you 2 tires, but their policy requires putting them on the front axle. Once done only rotate front to back. I also like the green stem caps they now use. One reason I will not buy anymore tires at Costco. The store we used has been converted to a more business oriented store. like it, but they closed the tire part, now a store with tires is over 50 miles away. One positive thought, they have a liquor store there. Kinda like Louisiana, where even the churches sell liquor!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
How about this Discount Tire?

http://dt.know-where.com/DiscountTire/c ... apx=&mapy=

Says it's "5 miles from Sharpsburg, GA". Don't need no stinkin' COSTCO with DTC nearby.

zeco said:
There is nothing wrong with buying just 2 tires, but keep them on the same axle. Costco will sell you 2 tires, but their policy requires putting them on the front axle. Once done only rotate front to back. I also like the green stem caps they now use. One reason I will not buy anymore tires at Costco. The store we used has been converted to a more business oriented store. like it, but they closed the tire part, now a store with tires is over 50 miles away. One positive thought, they have a liquor store there. Kinda like Louisiana, where even the churches sell liquor!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts