Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with mixing two different brands of tires? I am at the stage where I need to replace the rear tire on my Burgman 650, but the front tire is still in good shape. I would like to replace the rear with a Pirelli, and I'm wondering if I really need to change the front to a Pirelli at the same time. I ran Pirelli(s) front and rear on my former Silver Wing and was very happy with them, compared to the OEM Bridgestones that the bike came with. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you shouldn't mix brands. (That may have been in some tire advertisement...naturally they'd say that!) If I replace the rear with an OEM Bridgestone I would probably have to do that two or three more times before needing to replace the front, considering the difference in wear!

Jerry in FL

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Tires

I'm not expert, but you can feel a difference between a new tire and a worn one. You can feel a difference in the turns between different brands and between bias ply and radial tires. (square tires vs round)

Some have said that the front and rear tires turn differently, making for unusual handling. I would imagine this is the case for high performance bikes.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
A large number of the membership also experience the same as you in regards to tire wear and having to replace the rear long before the front. They have done just as you wish to do without any ill handling side effects. I would say go ahead and mount that Pirelli.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I did mount my first rear Pirelli with the OEM Bridgestone still on the front. When the Bridgestone wore to the point that it handled poorly, I replaced it with a Pirelli. I ran for about 4000 miles with the mixed tire combination.

·
Registered
239 Posts
pauljo said:
I did mount my first rear Pirelli with the OEM Bridgestone still on the front. When the Bridgestone wore to the point that it handled poorly, I replaced it with a Pirelli. I ran for about 4000 miles with the mixed tire combination.

It PROBABLY won't hurt anything...

The Reason for "Not Mixing Brands" on a Vehicle is that Different Tires have Different Carcass Sizes...

Two Tires with the Exact Same Listed Size when stood next to each other will often be "Off" in Height or Width...one Bigger than the Other.

Not Mixing Brands is meant more for an axle..on a car you have 4 tires...you can mix brands but only if those one either end are the same...you can have 2 tires of one brand on the front and 2 tires of another on the rear.

This is even more Critical on Axles with 4 tires...we've dealt with several Motorcoaches that people put two different tires next to each other on one side of a dual wheel setup and going down the road the extra stresses on the One tire thats actually on the ground cause it to fail or the Lug Nuts Shear off and you lose both wheels.

On a Bike since you only have one tire on each end probably not a problem.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all that wrote. I totally agree about not mixing different "kind" of tires. The Pirelli is the correct size and most important, it's a radial tire like the Burgman comes with. I am going to go ahead and put it on and see. If necessary, I'll report later after a few hundred miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts