Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Had my Burgman for a few months now, and according to the trusty Haynes Manual she's overdue a CVT cooling fan air filter clean. So today I proceeded to remove the relevant screws to take off the filter cover, to find..... an empty space where the air filter should be! I could see straight through to the 'fan blades' inside the CVT.

After closer inspection it appears some muppet of a previous owner has somehow sheared off the metal bits which the air filter is supposed to screw into, and just put it back together without a filter in place. I've had the bike since August so it's definitely been like it since then, not sure how much longer it's been on top of that.

As I've only had it a few months I'm pursuing the dealer for them to repair it (or even refund if it's too much to repair), seeing as how it would have been like this since I had it (the filter isn't just going to disappear into thin air with a few months worth of riding).

My question is - what should need repairing?

It appears moisture has got inside the CVT as the end of the crankshaft and the nut are incredibly rusty. I'll do a picture tomorrow if it'll help, but will they need to replace the crankshaft if that end is very rusted?

I couldn't get the CVT cover off to inspect the damage inside (as the bottom left corner just wouldn't budge) and as I need the bike in the morning I had to just put it all back on, but I plan to try again though as I suspect there's going to be all kinds of crap that's got inside... will I potentially need a new belt? Will the clutch also need some work? Anything else that'll need some attention?

I know this is a bit of a big ask without any photos or anything (which I'll try to provide tomorrow or Saturday) but I'm hoping one of you will know more about what's going to be wrong than I will!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
First off, take it easy, I dont think there would be major damage, chances are low.
Second to take out the CVT cover off, you first need to remove the left cover to be able to reach the bolts in the upper side.

Few days ago I took mine off to clean it, see here:

I dont think that part is super expensive, do a search and see how much is it, take it to the dealer and make them pay for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, take it easy, I dont think there would be major damage, chances are low.
Second to take out the CVT cover off, you first need to remove the left cover to be able to reach the bolts in the upper side.

Few days ago I took mine off to clean it, see here:

I dont think that part is super expensive, do a search and see how much is it, take it to the dealer and make them pay for it.
Hi fernando,

Thanks for your reply. I got the left hand fairing off and made sure to get 100% of the bolts holding the cover on but one corner still wouldn't budge. I'll give it another go tomorrow, maybe with a fresh set of eyes I'll manage to get it to shift.

When you say part, which part are you referring to? It appeared to me the mount which was sheared off was part of the CVT cover so I'd need to get a new CVT cover, is that not the case?

Cheers,
Andy

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I see.

Upload some pictures so we can see where you're struggling, I'd believe its the metal CVT cover is the one that doesn't want it to be removed, make sure you disconnect the sensor wire at the back part, then grab it with both hands and kind of shake it out and I remember I used a wooden stick that I put in the border and hammered it against the metal CVT cover, it was pretty tight so it was the only way I could take it out.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
goldielocks, yes it's the cvt cover that's damaged by the sound of it. As fernando says, it's doubtful if any other damage has occured. The corrosion on the end of the crank is of no concern. Just clean it up when you have the cover off. You could if you wish put some small amount of grease on the nut and end of the shaft after reassembly.

To get the cover off use two of your exhaust bolts from under the silencer. You can remove those without disturbing anything as long as the top silencer bolt is still left in place. With the outer cover removed from the cvt cover, just screw in the bolts as far as they will go by hand to the two 8mm holes over the clutch area. You can't miss them. Next with ALL the outer cvt cover set screws removed just wind the two exhaust bolts in a little at a time on each one until the cover starts to come away from the transmission case. Go slowly applying even pressure to both bolts so it comes off evenly. You may tap the cvt cover and pull also anywhere it starts to stick. Be aware there are two steel dowels holding the cover in alignment at diagonal positions. see where I've highlighted these on the photo below. These can slightly stick too. So go easy. Don't go hammering away at the case in an attempt to loosen it as you may cause damage. It's all gently does it! The other place it sticks is on the clutch cvt case clutch idler bearing. To prevent that next time, just put a small amount of lithium grease on it. it works!

It will come off ok if you use the bolt method. That's how it should be done and Suzuki designed it that way. Good luck.

View attachment 19713

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
@Quantum Mechanic: good to know I'll use the exhaust bolts next time!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sounds like you did ok fernando. You are clearly a very sensible guy and used wood to do the work. It's unlikely you'd do any damage that way, but yes, the bolts work great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts